Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

8 Posts

Default 3GS upgrade to ios5

I have a US AT&T unlocked Iphone 3GS running on ios 3.1.3 and baseband 05.12.01. I would like to upgrade to the latest ios5 to take advantage of the icloud functionality. I am currently running my phone on O2 network and I don't have the original AT&T sim. Is it possible to do this currently or do I need to wait for some time ? Also, I am a newbie and would greatly appreciate if you could give me detailed info on how to do this.

Thanks for your help !
    iPhone Intermediate

153 Posts

You could use redsn0w to preserve the baseband to keep it unlockable and hacktivate it so you don't need an AT&T sim to activate it via iTunes.
    iMore Expert

877 Posts
    Global Posts
    881 Global Posts

I recommend following this tutorial in order to upgrade to iOS 5.

A couple of pointers:
    In Step 4 when you choose Expert Mode, go to General and tick the box called "Activate the iPhone"

You have no need to install the 06.15.00 baseband.

Speaking from experience it's a bit hard to tell when you should use iBooty during the firmware upgrade. After you see the a message on iTunes that the phone has been successfully restored, start iBooty and follow its instructions.

After installing iOS 5 (after you complete the Welcome settings on the iPhone), fire up Cydia and install the following tweaks:
    Corona - this will untether your jailbreak, meaning you won't need to use iBooty any more.
    ultrasn0w - this will unlock the phone so it will work on O2
    SAM - this tweak will enable iMessage and push notifications. Get it by adding repo.bingner.com to your sources in Cydia and then follow this tutorial.

Good luck
    Last edited by iDonev; 01-16-2012 at 12:42 PM.