I need to restore my brothers phone. Help please!

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Hello and happy new year to you all. I am in need of some serious assistance. This past saturday I was trying to jailbreak my brothers iphone 4 (at&t baseband 4.11.08 if that matters) I used redsn0w 0.9.10b1, and that's where things went wrong. I assumed he updated to ios 5.0.1 (my fault for not checking) but instead he was only on 5.0. Now when redsn0w finished the jb, it said it was only on a tethered jailbreak and other stuff I don't remember, nor did I understand.

None of this is my area of expertise, the reason I waited for an untethered was because the process was so simple, and it's a one and done kind of thing. Now his "tethered jailbroken" phone is acting very weird. It won't load Cydia, Safari, youtube, and Email. I tried to factory restore his phone, but on itunes I would get an error 3194. And updating to 5.0.1 through itunes and ota was also impossible. Someone had told me to use tinyumbrella and un check the box that sets the cydia servers as hosts (or something like that) but when I tried to apply changes, I didn't see a button that said to and I really don't want to try to figure something out that I can barely wrap my head around.

So basically my brother just wants his phone restored to at least ios 5.0.1 (hopefully one day I can convince him again how awesome jailbreaking is, despite this grave miscalculatiuo) and I was hoping somebody here could help me. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you. :)

Uselessbass

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello and happy new year to you all. I am in need of some serious assistance. This past saturday I was trying to jailbreak my brothers iphone 4 (at&t baseband 4.11.08 if that matters) I used redsn0w 0.9.10b1, and that's where things went wrong. I assumed he updated to ios 5.0.1 (my fault for not checking) but instead he was only on 5.0. Now when redsn0w finished the jb, it said it was only on a tethered jailbreak and other stuff I don't remember, nor did I understand.

None of this is my area of expertise, the reason I waited for an untethered was because the process was so simple, and it's a one and done kind of thing. Now his "tethered jailbroken" phone is acting very weird. It won't load Cydia, Safari, youtube, and Email. I tried to factory restore his phone, but on itunes I would get an error 3194. And updating to 5.0.1 through itunes and ota was also impossible. Someone had told me to use tinyumbrella and un check the box that sets the cydia servers as hosts (or something like that) but when I tried to apply changes, I didn't see a button that said to and I really don't want to try to figure something out that I can barely wrap my head around.

So basically my brother just wants his phone restored to at least ios 5.0.1 (hopefully one day I can convince him again how awesome jailbreaking is, despite this grave miscalculatiuo) and I was hoping somebody here could help me. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you. :)

Have u tried putting it in DFU mode then restoring with iTunes ?

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I haven't. That's where I hold the power button, then the home button, the release the power button right? Sorry like I said, I'm not very good at all of this.

Will that definitely work? I need an absolute solution before I try anything because since it's not my phone I really don't want to take a chance in screwing anything up again.

Uselessbass

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes that's how u do it and it sounds as though that's your last option that should do the trick if not your gonna have to down load some firmware and it's gonna get a little bit more complicated but u can't hurt it any worse then where it's at man so what are u waiting for fix your bros phone ;)

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Okay I might as well give it a whirl. How do I know when it's in DFU mode though? I couldn't tell when I was doing the jailbreak. Also, so once it's in DFU mode I just open iTunes and hit the update button? or is it going to restore it to factory settings?

Uselessbass

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Turn phone off .. Hold home button and plug into comp .. Phone will boot it recovery then restore in iTunes it will install 5.0.1 make sure you backup before u restore thou

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk