Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default A5 users, Update to 5.0.1 for JB!

Hey everyone!

pod2g just tweeted not too long ago for everyone to update to 5.0.1 if you want the Untethered JB your A5 device (iP4S and iPad2)

https://twitter.com/pod2g/status/154298153078763521
    Last edited by ChaosShadow; 01-10-2012 at 12:32 PM.
    Love my 5S
    If I've helped in any way, please don't be shy and click that Thanks button below
    iPhone Intermediate

Im hearing it'll just get taken away in a few weeks though after the update...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,629 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Quote Originally Posted by HeyGreggie View Post
    Im hearing it'll just get taken away in a few weeks though after the update...
    that's why you do not update. welcome to the life of jailbreaking. always waiting to update to the latest & greatest firmware

most think it's worth it...
    Thanked by:
    ChaosShadow (01-03-2012)
    iPhone Intermediate

whew. This is going to be a tough one. Regardless though... should I update to 5.0.1?
    Im on 5.0 now..
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by HeyGreggie View Post
    whew. This is going to be a tough one. Regardless though... should I update to 5.0.1?
    Im on 5.0 now..
    Yes, update to 5.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    that's why you do not update. welcome to the life of jailbreaking. always waiting to update to the latest & greatest firmware

LOL, this was the same in Android. If you rooted your phone and Google released a new version of Android... you NEVER took the OTA download
    Love my 5S
    If I've helped in any way, please don't be shy and click that Thanks button below
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,629 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

also, i would look into iFaith or TinyUmbrella and how you can save your SHSH blobs and create your own custom firmware so if you ever need to restore you can ALWAYS go back to iOS 5.0.1, even well after Apple stops signing it. otherwise you will have to restore to whatever OS Apple is currently signing which most likely will not be jailbroken at the time, Untethered anyways
    Thanked by:
    ChaosShadow (01-03-2012)
    iMore Beginner

The tougher decision is for those of us on 4.3.3 with our iPad 2. Updating to 5.0.1 and hoping for a jailbreak is too much of a risk for me. Worse case scenario is I'm stuck on 4.3.3 forever, but at least I'm happy. Giving that up for 5.0.1 and having to wait several more weeks or months isn't worth it for me. If and when a jailbreak is available for 5.x I'll be more inclined to upgrade if given the choice, but for now I'm staying put.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    iOS Version

also, i would look into iFaith or TinyUmbrella and how you can save your SHSH blobs and create your own custom firmware so if you ever need to restore you can ALWAYS go back to iOS 5.0.1, even well after Apple stops signing it. otherwise you will have to restore to whatever OS Apple is currently signing which most likely will not be jailbroken at the time, Untethered anyways
    This is good to know. Thanks for sharing the knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by mgregg99 View Post
    The tougher decision is for those of us on 4.3.3 with our iPad 2. Updating to 5.0.1 and hoping for a jailbreak is too much of a risk for me. Worse case scenario is I'm stuck on 4.3.3 forever, but at least I'm happy. Giving that up for 5.0.1 and having to wait several more weeks or months isn't worth it for me. If and when a jailbreak is available for 5.x I'll be more inclined to upgrade if given the choice, but for now I'm staying put.
    pod2g says that the JB should be released in about a week. I don't think Apple will be releasing 5.1 by then. I'd wait it out
    Love my 5S
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Ditto!

Everything would have been easier if pod2g stated that in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
     Hackintosh 10.6.7 AMD Phenom 9850 quad core  Apple 5.5 gen 80gb ipod
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    295 Global Posts

I wouldn't update to 5.0.1. My battery life got worse on 5.0.1, even after several restores and setup as new. Just stay on ios 5.0
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,629 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Quote Originally Posted by Joe McG View Post
    I wouldn't update to 5.0.1. My battery life got worse on 5.0.1, even after several restores and setup as new. Just stay on ios 5.0
    really? my battery life stayed the same maybe even improved a little going from 5.0 to 5.0.1

still do not understand how some users are/were experiencing battery performance issues with either OS. i'm lucky i guess

5.1; i can definitely tell it has improved for me, and it's a beta! i hope it stays that way when the GM is released
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts

pod2g - "Yes, upgrade your 4S and iPad 2 to 5.0.1."

check his last tweet.
    iMore Intermediate

There must be à way to jb even if i Stay on 5.0 ip 4s and 4.33 iPad 2. And dont uppdate now to 5.01
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by MacRulez4Ever View Post
    There must be way to jb even if i Stay on 5.0 ip 4s and 4.33 iPad 2. And dont uppdate now to 5.01
    The JB is being created for 5.0.1.
    Love my 5S
    iMore Intermediate

I understand, but then i wait until it really is out and released. I cant uppdate now and loose my jb.

16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I understand, but then i wait until it really is out and released. I cant uppdate now and loose my jb.

What device are you hesitant to update? If it's a device that has an A4 chip (iPad and iPhone 4), then there's already an untethered JB available.

The iPhone 4S doesn't have any sort of a JB currently. The iPad 2 does have a JB on 4.3.3, and if that's what you're not wanting to update... then no, I'd keep it on 4.3.3 until the 5.0.1 JB becomes available
    Love my 5S
    iMore Intermediate

Just the way i have it , iPad 2 on 4.3.3 jb. Don't want to loose that. Ip 4s 5.0, waiting for the god dam jb to be relesed.
    But maby it does't make any diffrent if i uppdate to My iphone to 5.01. I am not gona unlock it anyway
    iMore Intermediate

My iPad 2 is unlocked from factory, and My question is if i uppdate it in iTunes or jailbreak it.
    It can never be locked somehowe? Once factory unlocked always unlocked no matters what i'm doing.

Or ?
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My iPad 2 is unlocked from factory, and My question is if i uppdate it in iTunes or jailbreak it.
    It can never be locked somehowe? Once factory unlocked always unlocked no matters what i'm doing.

Or ?
    If the iDevice is factory unlocked you can do whatever you like and it will work
    iMore Intermediate

Sweet , Thats What i hoped !
    iPhone Newbie

Just the way i have it , iPad 2 on 4.3.3 jb. Don't want to loose that. Ip 4s 5.0, waiting for the god dam jb to be relesed.
    But maby it does't make any diffrent if i uppdate to My iphone to 5.01. I am not gona unlock it anyway
    So, the jailbreak only works for the version it's built for?
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

I can confirm if you jailbreak a 5.0 using redsnow 10b3, that it is a tethered jb... You need 5.0.1 for untethered
    iMore Intermediate

Ok i see, i uppdated My iPad today to 5.01. Apple Will release 5.1 verry soon. I cant risk to miss uppdating to 5.01 before its to late
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts
    iOS Version

pod2g's latest blog states they're basically done! This is awesome!

"Here are some news about the current work on the A5 research.

@planetbeing escaped from the sandbox with the help of @saurik. Thanks to their awesome work, there should be nothing left blocking for the A5 jailbreak.

Now it should be a matter of days. Still no precise ETA of course.

We all want this to be finished ASAP, we're getting tired!"
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts

Matter of days!!! Awesome I'm excited, long overdue.
    ChaosShadow likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast