Tethered Redsn0w 5.0 to Untethered 5.0.1

rockerboy402

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Hello fellow JB users. I want to start off by stating that I've only been using a JB iPhone since November, so a lot of the concepts and processes are still new to me. My iOS version is at 5.0 and I'm running a redsn0w jailbreak. I did have the semi-tether installed, but I have since removed it from the device with the release of the new untether JB.

With that in mind, how do I go about upgrading to the untethered redsn0w jailbreak? I was going to use the Corona app in Cydia, but I noticed that it requires a 5.0.1 iOS version. If it is a matter of just upgrading my iOS to 5.0.1, I'm not even sure how to do that (a link to a guide would be great if that is what I need to do). At the end of the day, I want to preserve my device/apps, so if there is an upgrade I can do WITHOUT wiping the device, that would be my preference.

I have searched around for an IRC channel for redsn0w with no success, so I'm falling back to my fellow TIPB members.

Thanks in advanced guys/gals!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You can upgrade in iTunes and it will preserve your Apple apps when you restore from backup after updating. Your Cydia apps you will need to reinstall after doing the new jailbreak. OR you can wait a bit--there is supposed to be an update coming to Corona/redsn0w that will allow you to stay at 5.0 but still get the untether. When that hits yoiu can just run redsn0w again over your existing jailbreak (without installing Cydia again--just uncheck the box in redsn0w when the time comes) and you won't have to reload your Cydia apps.

rockerboy402

May 23, 2011
Visit site
There isn't an easy way to update to 5.0.1 without having to re-jailbreak? i really don't want to have to restore from backup if I can prevent it.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
No, by definition updating means losing your jb. The restore is easy though, it's just one click. It's reloading all your cydia stuff that could take time.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Depending on what kind of tweaks you have in Cydia it may not be that dificult to redo your JB. The real consideration is not how easy you can go to 5.0.1 JB keeping your stuff it's how stable of a JB you want. If you're a JBer you have to live with the fact that redoing the JB means reloading sometimes. IMO if you have a Mac get Pwnage Tool make a custom JB ipsw and reload the OS with it. This will both reload the OS cleaning up the JB and it will JB the OS at the same time.

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Upgrading to 5.0.1 from 5.0 does not wipe the phone, at least as far as stock apps and app store stuff is concerned. But as others have said, you will lose your jailbreak. If you want to upgrade, and you have only a few Cydia apps on your phone, the easiest thing to do is just write down the names of your apps and redownload them manually after rejailbreaking. If you have too many apps for that, then consider buying pkgbackup. It's the best backup program for Cydia apps and it also can backup data from the default apps and app store apps as well. You can also try xbackup, which I've used before, but I don't like it as much as pkgbackup. It's cheaper, though. Unfortunately, upgrading a jailbroken phone is a real PITA. There's no way around it.

rockerboy402

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Am I able to re-download apps that I purchased without having to pay for them again? Is 5.0.1 going to be more stable? I mean I have semi-tethered right now so I can always wait for a untethered 5.0, but if 5.0.1 is going to be more stable i'm all for it. Esp considering that my phone is slow and crashes a lot.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Everything you paid for you can redownload without paying for again. I would definitely go ahead and upgrade while you can?the 5.0 untether is taking longer than expected, which could signal trouble.

As far as slowness/crashes, that's more likely to be due to something you've installed and not the jb itself.

rockerboy402

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Just did the update and re-jailbroke. I've only got mywi5.0, intelliscreenx, file, opens, winter board, 5 icon home dock, and mxtube. Going to see how the speed goes. I did have, in addition to those, bitesms, blank, respring, activator, sbsettings, and infiniboard. so slow when i did (oh and semi-tether)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
That's not too bad-are you on an older device? You might also try fakeclockup for a perceived boost in speed. Is "file" iFile? And not familiar with "opens."

I use Messages+ since it comes built into ISX. Dropped Bite for that. And I do have activator (must have!) and sbsettings, with no slowdown. Good luck!

rockerboy402

May 23, 2011
Visit site
That's not too bad-are you on an older device? You might also try fakeclockup for a perceived boost in speed. Is "file" iFile? And not familiar with "opens."

I use Messages+ since it comes built into ISX. Dropped Bite for that. And I do have activator (must have!) and sbsettings, with no slowdown. Good luck!

Sorry, damn MacBook auto-corrected some things. My device is an iPhone 4 that I bought in June 2011, so not overly old. It is on VZW. "File" should be iFile, and "opens" should be OpenSSH. I did notice that BiteSMS could be very slow, and would sometimes crash my SpringBoard. Is Messages+ comparable to features and more stable?

rockerboy402

May 23, 2011
Visit site
So before when I would do the "slide down" to bring intelliscreenx up and view my unread messages, etc, I could scroll the screen down and along the top I had the ability to toggle on/off 3G, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. Now I no longer have the ability to do so, and I have both intelliscreenx and sbsettings installed. Very odd.

Also, noticing that a lot of the apps I click into on Cydia have a blank screen. Just says Back in the top left, Install/Modify in the top right, and white screen. Very odd there too.

EDIT:

Fixed the issue with the toggle on/off, but Cydia is still giving me beef.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox