I'm new to jailbreaking. I have a few questions?

anon(4750888)

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I really want to jailbreak my iPhone 4. It's currently running iOS 5.0.1.

I know that there is a 5.0.1 tethered jailbreak available, via redsn0w 0.9.9b9. I was wondering if I should go ahead and do this. But on the other hand, I know Pod2g is working on an untethered solution.

What would you recommend, doing it now, or waiting? Is it possible for me to go ahead and jailbreak now, and then "switch" to the untethered version without losing data/restoring?

I don't want to jailbreak now and then have to jailbreak again later, losing all my stuff.

Thanks a lot,

Zahid

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If I were you, I would wait. The untethered jailbreak might be out by the end of the year.

As for an untethered patch to the current jailbreak: in theory it's possible. The question is will somebody actually create it.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
might as well wait and make your first time jailbreaking one less thing to hassle with (tethered jb)

there'll be plenty of other things to concentrate on and being UNtethered makes the user experience much more pleasurable

plus assuming the new JB will be userland you can do it OTA. WIN!

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I really want to jailbreak my iPhone 4. It's currently running iOS 5.0.1.

I know that there is a 5.0.1 tethered jailbreak available, via redsn0w 0.9.9b9. I was wondering if I should go ahead and do this. But on the other hand, I know Pod2g is working on an untethered solution.

What would you recommend, doing it now, or waiting? Is it possible for me to go ahead and jailbreak now, and then "switch" to the untethered version without losing data/restoring?

I don't want to jailbreak now and then have to jailbreak again later, losing all my stuff.

Thanks a lot,

Zahid

In the past, it was possible to run an intethered jailbreak over a tethered jailbreak. In Jan 2011, on my iphone 4, I had a tethered jailbreak for iOS 4.2.1 using redsn0w. When the untethered jailbreak came out for iOS 4.2.1, I ran redsn0w untethered jailbreak on top of my existing tethered jailbreak. I didn't have to restore or anything.

I don't know how iOS 5 will work going from tethered to untethered on same iphone.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
tethered or untethered meh I've been tethered since iOS 5 no spontaneous reboots. If you want to see what you can do with the phone click the link in my Sig. Like someone said in the thread whether you'll be able to go from tethered to untethered really matters on how they put the tool together. So at this point no one is going to be able to tell you. However once 5.1 or 5.2 comes out you'll have to redo your JB anyway it's part of the life of a JBer. So don't shy away from the tethered JB, pod2g did say it was coming so if you can wait then wait if not and you're itching to get started do it.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
If you visit tipb often then go ahead and tether jailbreak just so you don't have to miss out on the awesome experience of jailbreaking. I personally couldn't wait for a untethered so I had to jailbreak now but I will immediately restore and re-jailbreak to an untethered state as soon as it becomes available. Unless of course I can jailbreak over my tethered jailbreak

Between tipb, twitter, and RSS I think I will know about the untethered almost as soon as it happens.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice