I have seen many people on this forum asking help for iphones stuck to dfu/recovery mode/apple logo (many of them called them bricked even though it is not the case), so I decided to write this tutorial about how to make your iPhone work again.Your iPhone can get stucked to apple logo,dfu mode or recovery mode from different reasons, a bad jailbreak, installing certain applications, turning off a tethered jailbreaked iPhone,a very common cause nowadays -updating or restoring a stock firmware on an iPhone with ipad baseband etc. For some causes there is sometimes a easier fix, for example if you have an iPhone in recovery mode first try to use TinyUmbrella to get it out, or id if tether jailbreaked first boot tethered, this may fix it.
    The tutorial below basically shows to to restore a custom firmware from pwaned dfu.Even though for most of you this seams easy I have seen that there are persons that might find this tutorial helpful.If I miss something , or is something you do not understand please let me know.

A.Create a custom firmware
    Will present here the method for windows using snowbreeze, for mac is a similar process using PwnageTools.If you have iPhone 3gs would recommend to restore firmware 4.1 and if you have iPhone 3g to 4.1.2, as this firmwares can be restored without SHSH saved and the jailbreak is untethered.

Step 1. Download snowbreeze from ih8sn0w.com/ (download the sn0wbreeze version for the firmware you want to restore)
    Step 2.For making a custom firmware with sn0wbreeze will need to use the speciffic stock firmware ( for example for making a 4.1 custom firmware you will need the 4.1 stock firmware). Download the stock firmware from here .DO NOT RESTORE THE STOCK FIRMWARE

Step3. Open Snowbreeze (if you cant open it, you probably dont have .NET frameworks 2.0 installed, download it from here and install it)
    Step4.Press "OK" and "Close Credits" , then press the blue arrow from right bottom and you will get to the screen where you need to select your firmware.Press "Browse" and select the firmware you downloaded, and press "Open".The firmware must have the extension .ipsw (the icon should be like in the picture), if not there is a small tutorial on the webpage I told you to download the firmware from, how to change the extension to.ipsw.

Step5. If the firmware was fully downloaded and has the right extension, sn0wbreeze should recognize it and say "IPSW Verified". Then press the blue arrow from right bottom.

Step6. Select "Expert mode" and click the blue arrow to continue

Step7.Select "General" and click the blue arrow

Step8.If you have a supported sim (the sim from the carrier the iPhone is locked to) then be sure the sim is inside your iPhone and untick "Activate the iPhone", if not leave it like it is. For 3g iPhones can also select from the options from the right, Enable Background Wallpaper, Battery-Percentage or Multitasking, but this are optional.Then click the blue arrow 3 times until you get to the menu with General and Build IPSW

Step9.Select "Build IPSW" and click the blue arrow and sn0wbreeeze will start making your custom firmware
    http://iphonetounlock.com/Other/foru...owbreeze_7.jpg
    Step10.When the custom firmware is done ,sn0wbreeze will show Done and the firmware sn0wbreeze_iPhone ...ipsw will be on your desktop. Now press OK , then Start and will have to follow instructions to put to DFU. It may be possible not to be able to put it to DFU from the first try, no problem , try again until you successfully put it to DFU.When is DFU iReb will start and put the iPhone to Pwaned DFU.

B.Restore the custom firmware
    Step11. Open iTunes , hold Shift and press restore . A windows will open and will be able to chose the firware to restore.Select the sn0wbreeze custom firmware from desktop, press Open and the restore should start.
    Step12.Wait until the restore is completed and your iPhone should be working again. If you want to unlock just install ultrasn0w from cydia
    Last edited by ovidiu1305; 12-07-2011 at 12:30 PM.
    Marlene47 and tony coble like this.
    12-07-2011 12:25 PM
    Great write up thanks for taking the Time.. I vote for a sticky..
    12-07-2011 05:57 PM
    Ok, great tutorial..
    I have a problem.
    I followed every single step on here and everything turned out great.
    but my problem is when i reach step 11 where i press Shift+restore and select the custom sn0wbreeze firmware, i get the 3194 error..
    this is really frustrating ive been on the internet looking everywhere on how to fix this error
    ive tried like 4 different youtube videos and none worked for me..

would you have any idea on how to fix this???
    12-08-2011 02:21 AM
    Ok, great tutorial..
    I have a problem.
    I followed every single step on here and everything turned out great.
    but my problem is when i reach step 11 where i press Shift+restore and select the custom sn0wbreeze firmware, i get the 3194 error..
    this is really frustrating ive been on the internet looking everywhere on how to fix this error
    ive tried like 4 different youtube videos and none worked for me..

would you have any idea on how to fix this???
    If you are restoring to 5.0.1 make sure your hosts file does not point to Cydia's servers (or if you use TinyUmbrella uncheck the option that points to Cydia).

If you are restoring to iOS 4, make sure you use one of the methods above to point to Cydia servers.
    12-08-2011 02:54 AM
    3194 error is caused by the fact that itunes cant communicate with the apple servers.For 3gs on firmware 5.0.1 and 4.1 , and for 3g on firmware 4.2.1 you need to make sure that if you ever used TinyUmbrella must uncheck the option Set hosts to Cydia on Exit, or a methot that is even more sure to work, go to C:\Windows\System32\ drivers\etc\hosts , open with Notepad the hosts file and make sure there isnt any line like 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com (or has apple.com in it).If there is delete it
    12-08-2011 09:05 AM
    dude i wish i could help u im having the same problem if i find the nswer i will let u know
    01-28-2013 09:03 PM
    It really happens, bro. I bumped into the same situation with my iPhone 6s and tried almost every means, but failed. You know, I was going to give up, but I finally find how to get rid of recovery mode on iPhone on RecoveryAndroid. iPhone Data Recovery really helps me.
    http://http://www.recovery-android.c...-recovery.html
    https://www.recovery-android.com/get...very-mode.html
    You should give it a try. Good luck!
    Last edited by michaelfield2001; 06-22-2016 at 08:24 PM.
    06-22-2016 03:47 AM
    This is really a great post. This problem is also one of the iOS 10 update problems. So it will help us update to new iOS.
    08-18-2016 04:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD