Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    RemmyZero's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

    Default redsn0w won't reboot tethered. stuck at 'fetching required files'

    so i have semitether installed and it's not a huge deal because i can just try again at home, but currently im at work and i tried to reboot my phone and i go into DFU and redsn0w sees it and begins its process but just halts at the beginning where it says 'fetching required files' then crashes. has anyone seen this?

    i'm using redsn0w .9.9b8 and the iOS 5 ipsw. I am currently on iOS 5.01 and have had no issues rebooting at home.

    thanks!

    - Bob
  2. #2  
    dbone15#AC's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0

    Default

    My work computer doesn't allow me to complete a tethered boot FWIW. Crashes for some reason. I usually just wait till I get home. Using a semi tether boot for a few hours isn't so bad.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    RemmyZero's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

    Default

    hey dbone, you're completely right. thank god for semitether! it's just an odd question that i wish i could resolve. i don't know if it's antivirus related or what. oh well.
  4. #4  
    3cit's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,691 Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.6

    Default

    You two probably don't have latest iTunes on your work computers... There is a different driver for an iPhone in dfu/recovery mode.
    You need that driver to access phone in that state
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    RemmyZero's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    You two probably don't have latest iTunes on your work computers... There is a different driver for an iPhone in dfu/recovery mode.
    You need that driver to access phone in that state
    well i was thinking that too and probably just as you were posting that i was updating iTunes on my work station but unfortunately it didn't do any good. redsn0w completely recognizes that it's in DFU mode but just doesn't gather any files....i dunno....maybe i need to delete iTunes altogether and reinstall it to try again. it would just be nice to know i could reboot here as needed.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    RemmyZero's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

    Default

    does anyone know if it matters whether iTunes is running at the same time? or if the outcome changes is it just coincidence?
  7. #7  
    3cit's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,691 Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.6

    Default

    Maybe a bad download/install of redsnow on work computer??
    *edit. I know iTunes doesn't have to be running and probably is safer to use redsnow with iTunes NOT running... Who knows what those geniuses at apple have their baby do!!!!
    *edit 2. Are you using an original apple USB chord? Or the right USB ports? I.e. maybe the front USB ports on your work computer are only 1.1 and not USB 2.0 which MIGHT affect the process...
    Last edited by 3cit; 12-07-2011 at 11:02 PM.
  8. #8  
    Massie's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,982 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,987 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default

    Best guess without knowing your work setup is that Redsn0w is getting hassled by firewall/security when it goes looking for files from Apple--the first time you run it for a given version of iOS redsn0w goes looking for pieces of those ipsws from Apple; then it caches them for future runs. But if it's being blocked when it first tries to get them, it won't work until it can reach the mothership because it's never getting the ipsw info it needs.

    One thing that may work: download the full ipsw for whatever iOS you need, and manually point redsn0w to that instead of counting on it to fetch the necessary files itself. (If you can't do that at work, just bring everything in on a flash drive.)
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    RemmyZero's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    Maybe a bad download/install of redsnow on work computer??
    *edit. I know iTunes doesn't have to be running and probably is safer to use redsnow with iTunes NOT running... Who knows what those geniuses at apple have their baby do!!!!
    *edit 2. Are you using an original apple USB chord? Or the right USB ports? I.e. maybe the front USB ports on your work computer are only 1.1 and not USB 2.0 which MIGHT affect the process...
    ok fair enough, when i do it at home i don't have iTunes running. and i'm not using a genuine apple cord, but that hasn't made a difference at home, although it wouldn't hurt to try here, and i did switch ports thinking that it might be an issue but that didn't help either unfortunately.


    Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    Best guess without knowing your work setup is that Redsn0w is getting hassled by firewall/security when it goes looking for files from Apple--the first time you run it for a given version of iOS redsn0w goes looking for pieces of those ipsws from Apple; then it caches them for future runs. But if it's being blocked when it first tries to get them, it won't work until it can reach the mothership because it's never getting the ipsw info it needs.

    One thing that may work: download the full ipsw for whatever iOS you need, and manually point redsn0w to that instead of counting on it to fetch the necessary files itself. (If you can't do that at work, just bring everything in on a flash drive.)
    i agree, it's got to be an internal firewall issue. i had to think back and remember that i've had similar issues where i couldn't even download the iTunes installer, i've had to import it from a USB stick or something.

    as for your suggestion though, i do have the full IPSW on my machine and i pointed redsn0w to it but that didn't help. i think redsn0w must be looking for something else or it's looking for some kind of read/write permission that my terminal at work just doesn't have.

    oh well!

Posting Permissions