Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

477 Posts

Default Question regarding Jailbreaking termonology

What exactly does "unlock" mean? Does this term refer strictly to the ability to change the cellular service provider, or does it refer to placing cydia on the phone and opening the phone's file directory? Or is it something else?

Reading this article on 'unlocking' the 4s:
    Unlock iPhone 4S Ultrasn0w is Very Imminent - Jailbreak 5.1 / 5.0.1 / 5 / 4.3.5 / 4.3.2 / 4.3.3 / 4.3.4 Untethered - iPad 2 Jailbreak

I have no interest in changing my cellular provider, but I do (obviously) want to jailbreak my device and have access to cydia.

iMore Intermediate

428 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,738 Global Posts

Yes. Unlock allows u to use a different carrier.
    iMore Genius

5,041 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,046 Global Posts

And for a software unlock like Ultrasn0w, you still have to jailbreak first. We have no definite dates for the release of that either.

(So basically: jailbreaking lets you load apps from outside Apple's closed garden. One of those—Ultrasn0w—is used for unlocking so a phone can be used on another carrier.)
    Last edited by Massie; 12-02-2011 at 09:14 AM.
    iPhone Intermediate

199 Posts
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts

Unlock is not just limited to iPhone/iPad either. It can be used to describe any GSM capable device not locked to only work on a specific carrier.