To Tether or not to Tether?????

mascott

Oct 12, 2010
www.twitter.com
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I'm on the fence when it comes to jailbreaking my iphone 4 on ios 5.0.1! I've done plenty of jailbreaks in the past, but they were all untethered! Yet i want to jailbreak now, but i still have a few unknowns when it comes to a "tethered jailbreak". First up, i understand that if your phone reboots, it's unusable until i can get to a computer and reboot it with redsnow. But does that apply to resprings??? I have also read that some people have random reboots when they are on a tethered jailbreak, so is that common??? When my phone had an untethered jailbreak, it never had random reboots. My next issue is, how reliable is the "semi-tether tweak"??? Would you all recommend that i grab the "semi-tether tweak" if i jailbreak??? My last question is, if i decide i don't want the "tethered jailbreak", can i restore back to stock ios 5.0.1 if i have my shsh blobs stored??? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
hi there, i am currently using the iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1 jailbroken with redsn0w and using the semi-tethered feature. everything has been working great. in fact i was using semi-tether on ios 5.0 also. there were a couple of hiccups, for me, when semi-tethered first came out but after a few updates i am convinced it is the next best thing to the Untethered

i too have read horror stories about random reboots while being tethered but never have experienced one myself. it is true that if your phone shuts off, for whatever reson, while being tethered the device is unusable until you do a tethered reboot. this is where the semi-tethered comes along, it lets the devcie come back but only to use some of your stock apps until you can do a tethered reboot. so my opinion is its all relative to what you are loading onto your device. don't get crazy with apps/tweaks until you have done some investigating (hint: ask us here)

regarding blobs and iOS 5.0+; currently there is no way to save blobs since Apple has changed they way they are configured (probably on purpose) so if you decide if a tethered jailbreak is just not for you then you can restore to 5.0.1 or whatever the current OS that Apple is signing.

my thoughts on the future of jailbreaking may just simply consist of tethered with the use of semi-tethered and that's not a horrible thing. could be worse. don't forget when you jailbreak tethered you'll have to do a tethered boot right after to activate the Cydia app properly. Resrpings are fine with a tethered jailbreak, you can respring all day if you want. there are very few apps/tweaks that will require a reboot but either way i would keep all your tweaking to only when you're near your computer

if you do it and have questions feel free to post back in this thread and we can help!

Reactions: 3cit

dbone15#AC

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had nothing but good experiences with semi-tether so far. No random reboots. I installed a cydia package while out which required a reboot and the phone rebooted and I had access to test/phone, most stock apps. No safari or e-mail though. Semi tether has a setting that will enable safari on a tethered boot but it opens up some security holes so I haven't used it. Was all good until I got home and did a tethered boot. My only issue is that a few of my icons for apps downloaded from Cydia (iFile, SBSettings, MyWi, 3G unrestrictor etc..) periodically turn grey. it has no impact on functionality of the apps. Just kind of annoying for someone who has OCD regarding their phone.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
And bear in mind that with SemiTether you can still get online using an app store browser (Atomic, Mercury, etc.). It's just the native Safari that won't work, if you choose not to use the patch. I believe you can do the same with Mail--just use the gmail app, for instance--but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I'm on the fence when it comes to jailbreaking my iphone 4 on ios 5.0.1! I've done plenty of jailbreaks in the past, but they were all untethered! Yet i want to jailbreak now, but i still have a few unknowns when it comes to a "tethered jailbreak". First up, i understand that if your phone reboots, it's unusable until i can get to a computer and reboot it with redsnow. But does that apply to resprings??? I have also read that some people have random reboots when they are on a tethered jailbreak, so is that common??? When my phone had an untethered jailbreak, it never had random reboots. My next issue is, how reliable is the "semi-tether tweak"??? Would you all recommend that i grab the "semi-tether tweak" if i jailbreak??? My last question is, if i decide i don't want the "tethered jailbreak", can i restore back to stock ios 5.0.1 if i have my shsh blobs stored??? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

My experience is similar to BLINK's. I've "heard" of major problems, just never had one. This was my first tethered JB as well and I was nervous but after 2 weeks, no random reboots at all. I did install something that needed reboot, but semi-tether reboot leaves your phone just like it would normally be but without JB tweaks/apps working and Cydia won't launch. Tethered boot and you're back in action. Semi-tethere tweak seemed unstable at first from what I read, but has been fine since I installed, which I think was a more stable version. I would definitely recommend it if you tether JB as it hasn't caused any stability problems that I can appreciate and it's the difference between having a fully functioning iPhone and a non-working iPhone if you do need to reboot away from a computer... no cost to you and an enormous difference if/when you need it. You can always restore to a stock IPSW if you don't like JB version, but might never be able to downgrade to lower iOS version (ie; if you don't like iOS 5, I don't think you can go back to an iOS 4 version of the software because Apple isn't signing these anymore). I might be wrong on the last point, but that's my understanding.

If you decide to JB, I hope you enjoy it!

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I agree with talkin73 about the instability. When I owned the iPhone4 with iOS 5, I had a tethered jailbreak. I had a situation where I was out of town and my iPhone crashed and rebooted. I was without phone access for 4 hours until I could get to a computer and boot tethered. Incidently, the semi-tether was released afterwards and I installed that. But with jailbreaks there will be conflicting apps and tweaks so I was nervous even with a semi-tether.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2