Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Default Verizon Iphone 4s with Tmobile????

Can a Verizon Iphone 4s be unlocked for Tmobile via sim card slot?
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version

From what i know it cant because verizon is a cmda network and t-mobile is a gsm network
    Have any problems with your iphone, or do not know how to unlock and jailbreak ,I can do it for you online
    Online iPhone Unlock, Jailbreak and software repair -http://iphonetounlock.com/
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,741 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2c View Post
    Can a Verizon Iphone 4s be unlocked for Tmobile via sim card slot?
    The Verizon iPhone 4S is a world phone that has GSM capabilities. Technically it could be unlocked, and a Tmobile sim should work in it. The questions is can you get it unlocked. Right now, I'm not sure if you can or not. Since there is no jailbreak, it might not be possible, unless the carrier unlocks it. If you can unlock the phone, and use it on tmobile, it wont work on tmobile's 3G network since it's a different band then what is in the iPhone. It would only work on their EDGE network. If you have Verizon now, I would recommend calling them, and seeing if they will unlock it for you for overseas travel. They may, or may not do it for you. If they do, at that point, you should be able to put your tmobile sim in, and have it work.
    I answer everything to the best of my knowledge. If I'm wrong, correct me.

If I helped you, hit thanks.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by E_Brown View Post
    The Verizon iPhone 4S is a world phone that has GSM capabilities. Technically it could be unlocked, and a Tmobile sim should work in it. The questions is can you get it unlocked. Right now, I'm not sure if you can or not. Since there is no jailbreak, it might not be possible, unless the carrier unlocks it. If you can unlock the phone, and use it on tmobile, it wont work on tmobile's 3G network since it's a different band then what is in the iPhone. It would only work on their EDGE network. If you have Verizon now, I would recommend calling them, and seeing if they will unlock it for you for overseas travel. They may, or may not do it for you. If they do, at that point, you should be able to put your tmobile sim in, and have it work.
    Read on the Apple website ... unlocked version won't work on anything but GSM, not sure why but they do specifically state that on the website.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,741 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by korp View Post
    Read on the Apple website ... unlocked version won't work on anything but GSM, not sure why but they do specifically state that on the website.
    Not sure what you're trying to say here. I'm talking about using on GSM not CDMA.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by E_Brown; 11-24-2011 at 01:24 PM.
    I answer everything to the best of my knowledge. If I'm wrong, correct me.

If I helped you, hit thanks.
    iPhone Intermediate

Tell them you are moving out of the country for awhile and need it unlocked.
    iPhone Nanite

Hey guys

Verizon will unlock your iPhone 4s for free after 60 days of continuous service. However the phone is primarily CDMA and you can't switch between the two. If you are outside of CDMA coverage such as china then it will allow the use of gsm network.

--David
    A Verizon sales rep.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David60639 View Post
    Hey guys

Verizon will unlock your iPhone 4s for free after 60 days of continuous service. However the phone is primarily CDMA and you can't switch between the two. If you are outside of CDMA coverage such as china then it will allow the use of gsm network.

--David
    A Verizon sales rep.

You can swtich between the 2. You go into settings and select the gsm network and vice versa

Global Posts
    11,682 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The GSM innards of a Verizon iPhone can be unlocked for use on carriers OUTSIDE the US...

The way around it would be to get a GSM sim from Canada or Mexico and pay the roaming fees if you want to use the GSM side of a Verizon iPhone in the good ol' USA.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kch50428 View Post
    The GSM innards of a Verizon iPhone can be unlocked for use on carriers OUTSIDE the US...

The way around it would be to get a GSM sim from Canada or Mexico and pay the roaming fees if you want to use the GSM side of a Verizon iPhone in the good ol' USA.
    Your wrong and right. I never asked about roaming to a diffrent country. My question swas if I could use the 4s with tmobile.

To answer my own question i did get it working. i unlocked my phone and put a tmobile sim card in my 4s and it worked. Only thing I had to do is go into settings-network and swith it over to tmobile. I cant use both networks at once

Problem solved close thread
    4s12 likes this.
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Verizon iPhone 4s has a sim card slot?
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    The 4s is a world phone.
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Well then I'm gonna hijack this thread.... If theres a sim spot how come nobody is working on a way to make "expansive" memory using the sim spot!!!!!???!?

ALSO why isn't 4s LTE???? I thought the only thing holding LTE back was sim card...

Global Posts
    2,467 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Because Apple didn't put a LTE radio in the phone, presumedly because of the impact on battery life.

Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge

Global Posts
    11,682 Global Posts
    iOS Version

ALSO why isn't 4s LTE???? I thought the only thing holding LTE back was sim card...
    4 reasons: battery, battery, battery, size considerations.

When the Verizon iPhone4 was launched, it was said then that it was not an LTE device because of battery issues, and there would have had to have been some design considerations that they were not willing to make to accommodate the LTE chipsets yet. The next iPad and iPhone will be LTE devices.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

So why no sim as a memory expansion hack?
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Yes it does on the side
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,877 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by 4u2c View Post
    Your wrong and right. I never asked about roaming to a diffrent country. My question swas if I could use the 4s with tmobile.

To answer my own question i did get it working. i unlocked my phone and put a tmobile sim card in my 4s and it worked. Only thing I had to do is go into settings-network and swith it over to tmobile. I cant use both networks at once

Problem solved close thread
    Did u get it working in the USA ?

My understanding is you can sorta unlock a CDMA 4s the gsm will work but only with out of country sims .. Even after unlock if wont work on local USA carriers like tmobile etc.

Not a true unlock to me but a half unlock

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

^^Works fine for me no problems for me. Only thing no data access and when i do its slow, but i only use it as another number to call out
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    225 Global Posts

Is it working with T Mobile 3G? That is the problem with most Verizon world phones. You can unlock them for use abroad on 3G, but they don't support the 3G frequencies for T Mobile and AT&T in the U.S. That means it will work on those networks but it is stuck on 2G/Edge. Can anyone get 3G on T Mobile or AT&T with their Verizon iPhone?
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    iOS Version

4u2c what did you use to unlock? I'm trying to use a T-mobile sim card with my Sprint phone.
  22. Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stides View Post
    Is it working with T Mobile 3G? That is the problem with most Verizon world phones. You can unlock them for use abroad on 3G, but they don't support the 3G frequencies for T Mobile and AT&T in the U.S. That means it will work on those networks but it is stuck on 2G/Edge. Can anyone get 3G on T Mobile or AT&T with their Verizon iPhone?
    Did you read what i said..lol I said No data access expect 2g
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Did you call Verizon to unlock it or did you do it yourself? I'm trying to do the same thing with my iPhone 4s from Sprint.

Thank you!
    iMore Beginner

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Stides View Post
    the Verizon and Sprint iPhone 4S have the same frequency as the AT&T one even the AT&T one has CDMA..... it won't work on T-Mobile USA tho
    iPhone Nanite

Default I believe the Verizon iphone also has GSM capabilities

If the phone can be unlocked successfully (Not directly from Verizon), then you can use on any gsm network.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast