Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Springboard crashing into safemode when texts pop up in other apps (iPhone 3G)

Last week my jailbroken iPhone 3G crashed. It is now restored, updated, and re-jailbroken (I did not do it myself). I am in the process of re-downloading my previously purchased apps, adding contacts, etc., and I've noticed that when I am using an app (maps, games, weather, anything) and I get a text and hit "reply", the springboard crashes into safemode every time (when I am on my home screen and hit reply to a text, the messages app loads just fine). Any ideas?? Thank you!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version

What SMS app are you using? Native or 3rd party?
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iPhone Nanite

Native. Haven't put too many apps on yet either, so I can always remove the ones I have and see if that helps
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The problem is caused by a Mobile Substrate extension (a.k.a. Cydia tweak) that crashes.
    Try removing all tweaks you've installed and re-add them one at a time after testing for crashes.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,878 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

When you go into Cydia does it prompt you with upgrades? have you done them? did you choose complete? Whenever I JB and go into Cydia I always like to do all the updates so it is the most up to date possible before applying my tweaks.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Springboard crashing into safemode when texts pop up in other apps (iPhone 3G)

downgrade to com.chpwn.iconsupport_1.7.4-1_iphoneos-arm.deb as this is problem with newest iconsupport deb file and this will solve the problem. If does not solve you can also downgrade mobile substrate to com.saurik.substrate.safemode_0.9.3900_iphoneos-arm
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Default Re: Springboard crashing into safemode when texts pop up in other apps (iPhone 3G)

Quote Originally Posted by sunilkmalhotra View Post
    downgrade to com.chpwn.iconsupport_1.7.4-1_iphoneos-arm.deb as this is problem with newest iconsupport deb file and this will solve the problem. If does not solve you can also downgrade mobile substrate to com.saurik.substrate.safemode_0.9.3900_iphoneos-arm
    im going to have to go ahead and disagree here. like completely 100% unequivocally tell you that this advice is wrong.

like for realz, why would you even offer this advice? what about the o.ps original post led you to believe that downgrading mobile substrate would solve the issue? or that an icon support file would solve the issue?
    i just want to make you, and anyone else who stumbles across this thread, that you are in fact not helping anybody! and shouldnt try to give help, when you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
    iPhone Nanite

I did this myself to my iphone4 and crash reduce by 75% but not by 100%. You can see iconsupport upgrade changelist and it lists of these crashes
    iPhone Nanite

On my phone I un-installed Barrel 1.6.3-1 and springboard crash on Text Pop-ups STOPPED completely. The real culprit is Barrel Upgrade 1.6.3-1, Whereas there were no crashes on Barrel 1.6.2.-1. Now I have updated the com.chpwn.iconsupport_1.7.10-1_iphoneos-arm.deb and testing but still no crashes on Pop-ups. I waiting and upgrade Mobile Substrate also tomorrow. Friends Give you comments/ if this solved your problem.
    iPhone Nanite

Friend you were right icon-support was not culprit for crash on POP-UPs, but chpwn.iconsupport_1.7.5-1_iphoneos-arm.deb was a problem as it was resetting the ICON layout after everytime phone was re-springed. and downgrade to chpwn.iconsupport_1.7.4-1_iphoneos-arm.deb solved this problem. But now this has been upgraded to version chpwn.iconsupport_1.7.10-1_iphoneos-arm.deb and no problems with it. The problem of SB crash on pop-ups was because of Barrel Upgrade 1.6.3-1, un-installing Barrel 1.6.3-1 solves this problem.
    iPhone Nanite

Today I upgraded the Mobile Substrate and no issues with springboard crashes. The real culprit was Barrel Upgrade to Version 1.6.3-1
    iPhone Nanite

i was facing the same problem as u guys did. after uninstall barrel 1.6.3-1. it still crash into safe mode whenever the popup allert appear. im using 4s 5.1.1. especially on those apps required location service, once its popup... then it straight to safe mode
    any advise?
    Last edited by HeavenV; 12-17-2012 at 09:48 PM.
    iMore Elite

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by HeavenV View Post
    i was facing the same problem as u guys did. after uninstall barrel 1.6.3-1. it still crash into safe mode whenever the popup allert appear. im using 4s 5.1.1. especially on those apps required location service, once its popup... then it straight to safe mode
    any advise?
    you need to go into sbsettings,(get it if you dont have it) and start disabling tweaks ONE AT A TIME (your phone will respring everytime you exit) until you figure out which tweak is conflicting with whatever messaging apps you are runnning.
    since it seems like it happens when you get a message you are going to need someone to help you and send you a mesage after you disable a tweak.
    once the crashing stops happening, you need to go back and RE-ENABLE that tweak, then go to cydia and uninstall it.
    since uninstalling barrel didnt help your situation you can safely rule that tweak out and re-install it if you liked it
    iPhone Nanite

thanz, have found the problem. its the adblocker.
    iPhone Nanite

Everyone has different solutions. my case was barrel for you it is adblocker