Safari constantly quits on 5.0.1 JB iP4... suggestions?

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
I hadn't been using Safari during the process of setting up my restored as new iP4 to 5.0.1 then JB with redsn0w 0.9.9.8b. I have a handful of JB apps installed so uncertain which would be causing this...

Safari will appear to start loading then quit every time. I have reset cache and settings and even done a reset of all network settings which rebooted the phone. Didn't work to correct this. I have Atomic Browser which works fine, but of course, doesn't have all the system benefits of using Safari.

Any JB apps that are known to cause this? Suggestions on how to troubleshoot (other than reinstall all JB apps one at a time) that might fix or remedy? Thanks!

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Quick update... just did "semi-tether" boot and Safari won't load there either. I don't know exactly how to interpret that but thought that this mode essentially did not load JB apps/tweaks so they shouldn't be the problem. Is that an accurate interpretation of what I just found? Other feedback on how to fix this?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
well i know safari will not work while in a semi-tethered state unless you select the option to do so in the semi-tethered app. you might be in a semi-tethered state right now and not know it

maybe try just doing a tethered reboot through redsn0w. remember, you have to select the 5.0 ipsw file before you reboot

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
well i know safari will not work while in a semi-tethered state unless you select the option to do so in the semi-tethered app. you might be in a semi-tethered state right now and not know it

maybe try just doing a tethered reboot through redsn0w. remember, you have to select the 5.0 ipsw file before you reboot

Thanks for the reply, BLINK. I'm definitely NOT in semi-tether mode as all JB apps working fine. I actually re-did a tethered boot (the only way to make that work is select the 5.0 IPSW, the 5.0.1 fine won't even allow you to tether boot so kinda dummy-proofs that process which is good) just for good measure before posting. I also tried opening the Semi-Tether app and turning on the Safari patching feature but nothing changed and Safari still quits after appearing to start launching.

Any other suggestions? Man, I really don't want to have to do another Restore... this would be my 4th just fixing other major JB problems. I have never had this many issues with a JB in the past :confused:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
damn, well restoring as new might be the only option. sucks i know but this process has corrected A LOT of issues for me in the past. might be quicker than waiting for someone to chime in here or searching all over the web

talkin73

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Damnit, another easy fix :D Just decided to review all my Packages in Cydia before a restore and saw I had Safari Download Manager installed... I did my super duper detective work and decided to try uninstalling a JB app that works on the application that wasn't launching :rolleyes: Low and behold... Safari now works fine. Bummed there is another app I can't use that isn't iOS5 compatible yet, though. But, a MUCH EASIER fix than restoring :eek:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2