Hackers Warn Jailbreakers to Stay Away from iOS 5.0.1
Hackers Warn Jailbreakers to Stay Away from iOS 5.0.1There hasnt been much talk in the jailbreak community regarding progress with either an iOS 5 untethered jailbreak or a 4S jailbreak. But we just received word from infamous iDevice hacker pod2g that, if youre hoping for either one, stay away from the next iOS update.
Pod2g announced last night that the code-signing bug security expert Charlie Miller uncovered a few days ago could make jailbreaking dramatically easier. And since Apple is aware of the issue and will likely patch it in iOS 5.0.1, he recommends not updating
This makes things complicated for a couple of reasons. First of all, if youve been experiencing poor battery life with iOS 5, chances are youre dying for the update. The new version of iOS is expected to fix the much-talked about battery issue.
Second, if you upgrade to iOS 5.0.1, you wont be able to downgrade. You might recall a recent report by the Dev Team that explained why there isnt currently a way to downgrade to previous versions of iOS 5, even with saved SHSH blobs.
And finally, you could be in trouble if you have a device that you havent updated to iOS 5 yet. Once Apple releases 5.0.1 to the public, it will stop signing 5.0. This means that you could miss the iOS 5 jailbreak altogether if an exploit surfaces that is iOS 5.0-only.
So, should you update? If you use your device daily, and cant take the battery problems anymore, you might have to take your chances (you should still wait and make sure the issue is fixed). All others should stay away, at least until we know more information.
- 11-09-2011, 10:22 AM #3
my first attempt was just a restore and then i was stuck at the iTunes/cable logo
my second attempt i went into DFU mode and worked perfectly!
(shift+click restore and pointed to iPhone3,1_5.0_9A334_Restore both times)
- 11-09-2011, 11:03 AM #5
- 11-09-2011, 12:00 PM #6
Makes it doubly sticky for those of us with iPad 2 jb on 4.3.3! Do I update to 5.0 before 5.0.1--losing my jb in the process (and the ability to downgrade to 4.3.3, right?)--in hopes that 5.0 bugs will allow a jb? I'm torn.
- 11-09-2011, 12:03 PM #7
You know what though? Apple was letting some people with severe battery issues have early access to 5.0.1, and I'm guessing that early builds don't have a fix for the code-signing bug. I'm going to see if I can get my hands on that firmware just in case.
- 11-09-2011, 12:21 PM #8
Yeah I saw that, I wasn't going to upgrade anyway cause it's just a .0.1 upgrade. I haven't had any battery problems at all so for me it's not such a big deal. I'll take my untether over the update any day.
- 11-09-2011, 01:17 PM #9iMore Intermediate
- 101 Posts
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
This would be a little less complicated if the jailbreak could be released for 5.0 prior to the Apple update. I have an iPad 2 running 4.3.3 and I'm not sure I want to upgrade to 5.0 on the "hope" that a jailbreak comes out for it. If the jailbreak could be released prior to the Apple update it would make the decision a lot easier to upgrade. IMHO, 4.3.3 jailbroken is far better than 5.0 that isn't.
- 11-09-2011, 02:07 PM #10
Think I've decided to to 5.0 on my iPad 2 though....
- 11-09-2011, 02:21 PM #11iMore Intermediate
- 101 Posts
- 0 Post(s)
- 0 Thread(s)
I feel that if they have a JB for 5.0 they should just release it. That would give those a chance to upgrade from 4.3.3 to 5.0 and be able to JB without worry. Sure, Apple could close the hole with 5.01, but that's the way it's always been. The battery issue is getting press, but from what I can tell it's a non-issue for most, and those that do have the battery issues will have to make a decision.
If you wait for 5.01 to be released and then release a JB, won't you have the same issue with a possible 5.02 being released to close that hole? It's a cat and mouse game that never ends.
All I know is that I have two iPad 2s and one is running 5.0 and the other is running 4.3.3 with a JB. Guess which one gets used more? The one with 5.0 just sits there collecting dust.
- 11-09-2011, 02:39 PM #12
- Ya shift restore would work because apple is signing 5.0 what happen when they stop ?
all of this is enough to make your head spin, that's for sure. i think what compounds it even more is the fact that us iOS 5.0 tethered jailbreakers will need to restore at one point and that's when **** will hit the fan
if these hackers cannot figure something out soon enough i may be sitting stock, for a long time coming
- 11-09-2011, 03:46 PM #14
I would really like to unlock my 4s and use whatever sim I want ... But I think I'll be waiting a while since there's no JB yet and unlocks cant even start to develop until then
Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
- 11-09-2011, 04:04 PM #15
They aren't holding onto the untether because they want to maximize it. The bug has been found and they know that it will be patched in 5.0.1 which is why they are telling people already on 5.0 not to upgrade. They haven't put it out because they are probably still working on it. It's not easy to just throw it together and release the tool, just think about how much the tool does to get the phone Jailbroken. It runs quickly and seems simple so alot of people think it doesn't do much. Then they have to put a UI around it so that even the most simple user can follow the directions and click the buttons.
After 4 years of these same guys bringing out tools for each and almost every firmware I would say it's not like they're talking out their a$$ when they say they've found an exploit and it will work on iPhone 4s and iPad 2. If it was some new guy from some unknown group then there would be need for hesitation but IMO upgrade to 5.0 make sure you don't upgrade to 5.0.1 and that way when the untether is out you can JB without worrying about Apple not signing 5.0 anymore. This is just my 2 cents though so take it how you want.
The untether for the JB I'm willing to bet they're going to do the same thing they did last time where you run the tool and it makes the JB untethered without you having to restore the OS. I guess we'll just have to wait and see that is the fun part.
- 11-09-2011, 11:32 PM #16
- 11-10-2011, 02:15 PM #19
- 11-10-2011, 02:17 PM #20
- 11-10-2011, 02:55 PM #21
just went from 4.3.3 to 5.0.. apple is still signing 5.0...
phew! hope that jailbreak comes along soon..
dont think its such a big deal though.. the change log doesnt mention anything abt fixing that exploit that was just found.
- 11-10-2011, 03:15 PM #22
- 11-10-2011, 03:43 PM #24
- 11-10-2011, 03:59 PM #25