Why I Jailbreak

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
People always come in asking why should they Jailbreak(JB). So I figured ok maybe we should have a little fun with it. Let's talk about why we JB? You can give a reason, tell your first JB experience, list apps and tweaks you use and why? Feel free to include screenshots, pretty pictures always make a thread popular :D If you list an app or tweak try to keep it to like three, if you're a big tweaker and list 50 apps then that kinda kills the thread because then others don't have anything to suggest. You can come back in a couple hours and just post again :D So lets have at it.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Customization - it allows me to customize my phone to look and sound how I want it to and not like every other iPhone around me.

It allows me to hide Newsstand in my Infinidock

img1541.png

img1542.png

Reactions: leharris22

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Gridlock - Allows me to put the apps and folders where I want on the screen
iFile - Allows you to access the file system of the phone on the phone.

Reactions: leharris22

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
My #1 app for jail breaking is bitesms. It is the best texting app there is. I'm not a big customizer so I don't don't do themes or anything like that. Gridlock is an awesome tweak, and perpagehtml was awesome. I'm on the 4S now, so I'm not jailbroken, and I can't find any pictures, but if I do, I'll post them here.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
iFile is a must have if you're jailbroken

FullScreen for Safari - the way Apple should have made Safari work

ScreenDimmer - in depth controls of backlighting and a battery saver

PandoraSkips FTW!

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Customization - it allows me to customize my phone to look and sound how I want it to and not like every other iPhone around me.

It allows me to hide Newsstand in my Infinidock

img1541.png

img1542.png

That theme and others like it are a good enough reason for me to have the want to jailbreak when ones available. That theme is kick ass!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
SBSettings - Allows me to turn off Wifi, BT, Data and respring my phone easily
OpenSSH - Allows me to backup my themes and tweaks, access the phone's file system from your computer(change system sounds)

Thanks for the comments on the theme it's got elements of a bunch of themes I like plus 60% of it is my own creation. The lockscreen is the Tooche.B lockscreen with my own customizations.

The font is Disney, I got it through Bytafont I didn't list it yet because I have a screenshot.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Bytafont - allows you to change the system font to all sorts of different fonts
Homepage in Safari - Allows you to set a homepage in Safari on the iPhone

img1543ph.jpg

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I do it for simple things: BiteSMS lets me text from anywhere, and LockInfo gives me a better, more function-filled version of Notification Center. Activator is great too?such a simple tool but it can totally change how you use your phone.

Ipheuria, how is your Winterboard experience on ios 5? I'd love to get back into some lockscreen themes but had issues with WB when it was first updated.

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site

enough said.

Now this is something I would JB for. I coming from BlackBerry next week and I am HUGE at customizing things; I have NO desire to JB but this may push me over the edge.

Wow!

The only irony, what does the lock screen prevent you from doing then? LOL, still awesome.

K.J

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
For the customization, tweaks, flexibility that Apple doesn't freely allow, granted they are protected some users from themselves..

SBSettings
Lockinfo
ActionMenu
Fast Copy
MyWi
RetinaPad
3G Unrestrictor
Splitmail

The apps also help, to trial them out, but if you like them, you should purchase, else developers loosing revenue will stop developing great apps..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
475e30d4-a86b-babf.jpg

(my home screen)
475e30d4-a901-0e93.jpg

(my lock screen)
You guys got it covered!!!
Customization being the number 1 jailbreak reason.
Bitesms being a VERY VERY close second!! (please pay for it fools!)
I tried not being jailbroken, and made it for about 30 minutes, no lie!
Once you've had a few tweaks you CANNOT live without them!
One tweak that hasn't been mentioned (or perfected yet...) is iSwipe.... It's ALMOST perfect still needs a little work though

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
3cit the eye on your homescreen is very eerie lol but I'm loving your setup. Massie sorry I missed your question Winterboard has been perfect for me. I did the JB then the complete upgrade and installed the new Winterboard and I've had no problems at all.

Winterboard - don't remember if it was mentioned but it allows you to theme your phone with different themes, sounds and lockscreens
Sounds - I love that I'm now able to customize system sounds. My setup lock "Goodbye" in Mario Bros. voice, unlock "thunderclap" and had a blow-off valve alternating. New emails say "you've got email' in a woman's voice. When I receive texts while in the app it's Borat's voice you got a message.

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for posting this thread. I was always wondering what the advantages were to jailbreaking, as I'm coming from BB and it's not the same process/result.