Why I Jailbreak

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Folders - Ability to change the background of the folder when it is opened, ability to change the look of the folder itself. I use transparent folders which give you a much better view of the wallpaper underneath.

Icons - The ability to make your own icons, I love the fact that my icons wont be found anywhere else but on my phone. I made each one, some I actually took from other themes but a large amount I customized myself.

LOL no prob, I know alot of people always come in asking so I figured why not answer before they ask.

There haven't been a ton of lockscreens posted here so if customizing is your thing check out this thread http://forums.tipb.com/jailbreak-ap...01925-post-your-lock-screens-homescreens.html it is really long but some really good info and some wicked lockscreens.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Unlock - OK the unlock hasn't been touched on in the thread. I don't unlock anymore because I bought a factory unlocked iPhone 4. However I noticed that quite a few people have been asking in the forums how to unlock. So that is yet another reason perhaps even the biggest one to JB. Jailbreak and Unlock are two different things, however in order to unlock the phone it must be Jailbroken. So this is another reason for some to JB. Only certain basebands are unlockable and the process is you JB then you run ultrasn0w to unlock the phone and you can use it on any GSM provider.

Spiral_ouT

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Icons - The ability to make your own icons, I love the fact that my icons wont be found anywhere else but on my phone. I made each one, some I actually took from other themes but a large amount I customized myself.

First off, great thread! I'm sure this is helping a ton of people that are confused about Jailbreaking and if it would have any benefit to them.

After doing some searching here on TiPb and on Google, I wasn't able to find any info on how to use custom icons. There's plenty of sites showing you how to use themes in Winterboard and sites with icons you can download, but no real info on how to get your own icons on your screen. Maybe I'm just not searching with the correct words? If you could point me to a site or thread that covers this topic or give a rundown of how you do it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Back on topic. I Jailbreak for customization and tweaks, like having my multitasking and radio controls in the notification center.

Sent from my HP Pavilion dv7 using Tapatalk

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Great thread! I am a newbie to jailbreaking! but the one thing I REALLY love about it is the ability to customize and change the look of your homescreen, lockscreen etc. Coming from a blackberry i missed that aspect when i got the iPhone until I jailbroke it! I also love the apps! like folder enhancer, full screen for safari, iconoclasm, infinidock, IntelliScreen X, Bite SMS just to name a few! Now I couldn't see myself ever going back to stock!

Ginbill

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I loved having a 5 icon dock on my ipod touch when it was jailbroken. I also liked having a different battery when charging on the lock screen and the lock screen. And folder customization. A few other features that aren't available with stock. Nothing too big but I liked having the ability.

I'd love to have some of these things back on my iPhone when I get the chance to jailbreak it.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
First off, great thread! I'm sure this is helping a ton of people that are confused about Jailbreaking and if it would have any benefit to them.

After doing some searching here on TiPb and on Google, I wasn't able to find any info on how to use custom icons. There's plenty of sites showing you how to use themes in Winterboard and sites with icons you can download, but no real info on how to get your own icons on your screen. Maybe I'm just not searching with the correct words? If you could point me to a site or thread that covers this topic or give a rundown of how you do it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Back on topic. I Jailbreak for customization and tweaks, like having my multitasking and radio controls in the notification center.

Sent from my HP Pavilion dv7 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys :D I hope it will help some noobs wondering what the benefit of JBing is or can do. TheRealSpiral go to my user profile and email I'll tell you all the info. I had a hell of a time and learned alot so I'm always glad to pass it on.

DANNCAS

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
attachment send them from a replpied message

Handling attachments. Meaning, being able to receive and send all kinds of attachments including Office documents (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), photos, Zip/Rar archives, etc
I want to be able to send attachment from within a message I compose not click on a doc and then send.
I want to reply to a person message with lots of attachment.
I will JailBreak in a NEW YORK MINUTE for this and others kool suff
WHAT WAS APPLE THINKING

iDonev

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Don't take this the wrong way, but doesn't this thread belong in the Jailbreak Apps, Hacks, and Themes Forum?

Handlebars

Sep 1, 2009
Visit site
I jailbreak for the customization. Themes and tweaks like five icon dock, infinifolders, grid lock and now ISX it is awesome.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Don't take this the wrong way, but doesn't this thread belong in the Jailbreak Apps, Hacks, and Themes Forum?

Not really the point of the thread is why I Jailbreak, just because the contents has alot of tweaks, apps, etc. doesn't mean anything. There is bound to be crossover when dealing with the same topic.

Custom icons - A reason I loveeeeeeeee JB is my ability to make my screen so personal

img1668.png

derk

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Infinidock is great so I can have more than 4 apps on the dock. I used activator alot and also vlc player to play other video formats besides quicktime.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

canguler87

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
If you have some ideas in a technical way about the iOs devices; JB means that YOU are the only limit ;) Otherwise, dont risk to JB..

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
My3G (allows FaceTime over 3G, removes 20mb iTunes limit on 3G, & YouTube and music streaing apps are always HQ)
SBSettings (WfFi, BT, etc.. widgets) These are the reasons I Jailbreak

As an added bonus I use BiteSMS (great texting app that allows for quick replys, contact photos in apps, test forwarding and much more), LockInof on 4.x and IntelliscreenX on iOS 5.x, minor use of themes (new slider and change of icons), and tweaks such as Weather Icon which turns the weather app into a live temperature and image of the actual weather. I also use tethering but only when NEEDED and I don't abuse my unlimited plan.

I only need the widgets and less restrictions on 3G but while I'm at it, I might as well go all out.

Last edited:

Jon Seals

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
iOS 5 makes it easier to not be jailbroken, but as of iOS 5 the main reasons I jailbreak is to test software and themes that I make, and for tethering and SBSettings.

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Being able to theme my iPad is the biggest reason I enjoy jailbreaking, but there are useful tools that I would miss, too.

1) BackBoard - Saves icon layouts & settings for different themes
2) Backgrounder - True multi-tasking
3) BrowserChanger - Get rid of Safari and use your browser of choice
4) RetinaPad - Makes most iPhone apps look so much better on the iPad

iPad002.png

iPad001.png

Mike

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Mike lovin' the theme man :cool:

OK I'm so so so excited this is why I love Jailbreak. I have had the same custom lockscreen for awhile now and I have found a new unlock slider that is going to F'ing rock the city along with some new lockscreen images I'm going to be making. I'll post up some screenshots when I'm all done tomorrow.

OK I finished my new lockscreens and also I've been searching forever for something I could use as my new slider that I liked more than the first one I made. So here is why I love JB it makes my phone look like a Good damn work of art!

Before
img1920.png

Now
img1923.png

Some of the new lockscreens I put together today
background01.png

background02.png

background04.png

Last edited:

tres

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
MY PROFILES was my main reason for Jailbreaking. It allows me to use "blackberry" like Sound, and action profiles based on many different conditions. Its not supported in ios5 Anyone have a solution? I HATE having text messages wake me up!

CashV

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
iBlackList - Blocks unwanted callers/text messages.

BytaFont - customize the font on your phone.

Winterboard - customize the theme

SBSettings - shortcuts to your most used apps.

These are my fav apps. I like to make things pretty. I ALWAYS get this question. "Whats so great about jailbreaking your phone?" I usually just reply with a screenshot.... enough said!! :D

CashV

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
MY PROFILES was my main reason for Jailbreaking. It allows me to use "blackberry" like Sound, and action profiles based on many different conditions. Its not supported in ios5 Anyone have a solution? I HATE having text messages wake me up!

My blackberry stayed on the "Phone Only" profile. With the iOS upgrade, you can actually mute everything and just have it make a sound for phone call. It's annoying having to go in and manually change the settings when you want all of the notifications on, but it's better than nothing.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods