iPhone 3gs stuck in apple logo screen - won't boot, won't restore!!!

iFabulous

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Guys,

I'm sure I've searched for a solution for my problem on both Tipb and other communities and failed to find one. That's all I've done in past 2 weeks. Please be easy on me if there was already one and I couldn't locate it.

I have an iPhone 3gs with old bootroom, which was used in US for almost an year. Before I encountered the above said problem, it had 3.0.x firmware (I believe so), baseband was 5.11.07. When I got the phone, I got it unlocked from somebody I'm not in contact with now... So, I don't know what all he had used to jailbreak/unlock. I've never saved SHSH blobs, as I was not aware of it. Life was beautiful with iPhone 3GS for 6 months, but from past 15days- all the fun is gone :(

This is what happened-
I browsed on my phone, disabled 3G and slept in the night. When I got up, it was showing a message something like- "Network settings has been reset, Connect your iPhone to itunes to restore". It was not catching any network ( I use Vodafone India ). I thought rebooting the phone would fix the problem and tried to reboot, and it is stuck in the apple logo screen. (Because almost all the phone I've previously used would fix any software related prob on a reboot. I curse myself for taking error message of an iPhone so lightly)

These are the things I did-
1. Upon a friend's suggestion, installed redsn0w 9.4 on my windows, downloaded IPSW file for 3.1.2 from felixbruns.de, to freshly put that firmware, jailbreak it and unlock it. Redsn0w recognized the firmware and tried to put it on my phone. It shows a pineapple image on my phone, displays messages like Installing bundles, Flashing NOR and goes to reboot, and again stuck with the logo.

2. By searching on net, followed somebody's suggestion and followed the steps he had given-
Connected my phone to itunes in recovery mode, pressed shift+restore and selected the above said IPSW file. itunes said it is restoring the phone and finally displays error 3194. Error message is something like - "Restore is not complete, apple couldn't verify the firmware".
Later I got to know that Apple has to sign the firmware when restored and it has stopped signing 3.1.2 on 3rd Feb 2010.

3. I used 'Recovery mode fixer' on iReb for OS 3.x.x to 4.x.x - no success.

4. Even tried TinyUmbrella's kick out of recovery loop and failed. Only then I realized that my phone is not in recovery mode loop but in apple logo-boot loop.

Questions that are bothering me are,
1. Any chance baseband of my phone has been updated from 5.11.07 while doing any of the above steps.
2. Can I check the baseband and firmware on phone using any tool - as I can't get my phone to boot.
3. Regardless of baseband update, can I still get my phone working?? If yes, what do I have to do??

Guys, I can't take my phone to Apple because, in India they don't repair it. I can put my phone into recovery mode and DFU mode but can't boot it.

Whoops, sorry for such a big story ;) but I have told everything I have found out once I got the problem and everything that I've done to solve it.

Thanks in advance.

iFabulous

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Does it mean my phone is gone forever ??

I waited for to days after posting.... Didn't get any suggestions so thought of trying few steps of my own...

Downloaded redsn0w 9.6 and tried to put firmware 4.1 using it as if my phone is new.... At the end phone starts, but wi-fi doesn't work and after 2 min it says restore needed, connect to itunes and restore your phone ans reboots.... Same thing happens again...

But what is really really bothering me is,
In Settings > General > About, there are no values against following entries.

ICCID
IMEI
Modem Firmware

These numbers are empty. Does it mean my phone is gone ??
I hope somebody will tell me "No, it's not. Chill, you can repair it and just the do the following steps"

ovidiu1305

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Its a a bit of a problem if those informations are not there.Have you tried to restore a custom firmware made with snowbreeze, try 4.1, is the only one that will work if you do not have shsh saved . Let me know if you can do it,, if not if you want I can do it for you online, just send me a PM

iFabulous

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Its a a bit of a problem if those informations are not there.Have you tried to restore a custom firmware made with snowbreeze, try 4.1, is the only one that will work if you do not have shsh saved . Let me know if you can do it,, if not if you want I can do it for you online, just send me a PM

Ya I tried with SnowBreeze and with 4.1 FW... No success... I haven't saved shsh blobs also...
I suspect its a hardware problem because, When I tried with custom firmware using snowbreeze or when I try to put 4.1 using redsn0w, the process gets completed but wi-fi bluetooth don't work and ICCID, IMEI and baseband are empty. And, when I tried to restore to Apple's stock firmware (i.e., using itunes and just clicking restore) I get an error message at the end with error code 1002, which is a hardware related error.

BTW, I didn't understand your last sentence - "if not if you want I can do it for you online, just send me a PM". What is PM?? Sorry, I'm new to internet shortcuts...

Thanks for replying. Hope I can get it working again...

ovidiu1305

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
PM-private message, anyway from what you tell me not so many hopes for a software fix.You probably have a damaged baseband, this sometimes happens when updating baseband (to ipad baseband for example). Anyway you should try the baseband update from redsnow, you will loose the gps but at least the iphone will work( even though I dont think will work )

Reactions: iFabulous

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
You have damaged HARDWARE. Nothing to do with software... It's
Like trying to read files on a corrupt hard drive by installing different file reading programs...
An iTunes restore works on any device any time no matter what... So if you can't put it into recovery
Mode and recover with iTunes, then the hardware is the issue.
Sorry man but no fix for this.
DOA phone...

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah have to agree with 3cit I dealt with a friends phone that stopped working and I tried everything and it just wouldn't do anything. I finally had to take it to Apple and have it replaced under warranty. The only thing I can think is that whoever did the JB and unlock put your phone on the iPad baseband so the only tool you can ever use is one that doesn't try to upgrae the baseband. So here are some things to try if none of these work then sorry but your phone might be toast.

The first thing is to go to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials go to Tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak then look for the newest Redsn0w which does the custom ipsw. Read the instructions on how to do it without upgrading the baseband and try to make an iOS 5 ipsw. It is a tethered JB so when the phone reboots it will get stuck on the Apple logo you must run the tool again and select just boot tethered. It should all be in the instructions anyway.

If that doesn't work then you can put your phone into DFU mode connect it to iTunes and then hit restore. You will lose the ability to unlock because it will put iOS 5 on the phone with the new baseband. However atleast the hardware will be working and you can sell it and buy an unlocked iPhone.

Update - I looked at it and only the Mac version of the software is able to cook the ipsw without updating the baseband. If you want me to do one for you let me know and we can give it a shot.

Last edited:

iFabulous

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
@ovidiu1305, Thanks for your time and reply... I tried it and it didn't work.

@Ipheuria, I will follow the link given by you about iOS5 ipsw and post the results this weekend(kind of busy till then). I think I can get hold of a mac for this weekend... If not will come back for help...

On a second thought, I had taken the phone to an expert who repairs iPhones here... He said, he has got 4 such 3GS phones and trying to fix them from a month and not able to... He said something about RPL back-up file which is available only with Apple. So, he suggested me to get it replaced with Apple. I can send it to my sister who lives in US(previous user of this phone) and she can get it replaced for me. But it is out of warranty. So, any idea how much would they charge if I go for the replacement....:confused:?? The reason why I ask is, iPhone 3GS-8GB is available in India for around $450 and if Apple charges me more than $300 then I'm planning to forget this phone and buy the new one...:rolleyes:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I think apple only charges 199 to replace when it's not in warranty

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

iFabulous

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Peligro911,

That is a pretty good news for me(even though it costs me $199) :) If somebody tries to switch on my phone it goes to recovery mode... It shows itunes and the connectivity cable.... Will an Apple genius be able to find out that the phone was jailbroken and unlocked before it came to the current situation ?? Any problem if they find it out ??

hpcomputergeek

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Peligro911,

That is a pretty good news for me(even though it costs me $199) :) If somebody tries to switch on my phone it goes to recovery mode... It shows itunes and the connectivity cable.... Will an Apple genius be able to find out that the phone was jailbroken and unlocked before it came to the current situation ?? Any problem if they find it out ??

Most likely no...

Try restoring the phone now in DFU mode.

Pt88

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Need a solution to this problem asap plsssssss

My Iphone 3gs battery drained out and now it wouldn't go on pass the apple logo.

When its charging or plugged into the pc, First you see the Apple logo. After a couple of minutes the screen will go off, then showing the red empty battery icon. And after a short while the Apple logo is back on. It keeps repeating this logo/battery loop.

When its not plugged in ans I try to turn it on, just the red empty battery icon with a plug in sign is shown.

It is not possible to go into DFU mode. I tried different USB cables, a power adapter, the USB port. It does not matter.

The iPhone 3GS is unlocked & jailbroken (iOS 4.3.3).

Giannacl

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
have you resolve this?

My Iphone 3gs battery drained out and now it wouldn't go on pass the apple logo.

When its charging or plugged into the pc, First you see the Apple logo. After a couple of minutes the screen will go off, then showing the red empty battery icon. And after a short while the Apple logo is back on. It keeps repeating this logo/battery loop.

When its not plugged in ans I try to turn it on, just the red empty battery icon with a plug in sign is shown.

It is not possible to go into DFU mode. I tried different USB cables, a power adapter, the USB port. It does not matter.

The iPhone 3GS is unlocked & jailbroken (iOS 4.3.3).

same thing happening to my friends iPhone, no jailbreak though.:confused:

Is there a way to resolve this?

Thanks!::)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Try recovery mode with phone off hold home button and then plug in cable and open iTunes

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Giannacl

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I did. iTunes sees it, and restored but at the end gives an error (1015 I think) and its back to nothing :-(

is there anything else I should try before telling her "sorry"?

Gunners899

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello All.

My 3GS is stuck on the apple logo and wont successfully boot. It reboots every 5 minutes or so but only get to the logo. I have restored successfully to IOS 6.01 (restore completed successfully) but still the phone get stuck at the apple logo. I have also tried to 'reset' the phone by holding the sleep/home buttons.

When connecting to iTunes, it picks up the phone and summary information is displayed. When clicking on apps though, all it says is loading device. Any ideas / advice please?

Thanks

Lozenger19

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
You have damaged HARDWARE. Nothing to do with software... It's
Like trying to read files on a corrupt hard drive by installing different file reading programs...
An iTunes restore works on any device any time no matter what... So if you can't put it into recovery
Mode and recover with iTunes, then the hardware is the issue.
Sorry man but no fix for this.
DOA phone...

Disagree BIG TIME!!!

This happened to my iPhone 3GS

I took it into an apple store and they remotely reset it for me.

Works perfectly now and has all the features of iPhone 5

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Disagree BIG TIME!!!

This happened to my iPhone 3GS

I took it into an apple store and they remotely reset it for me.

Works perfectly now and has all the features of iPhone 5

The exact same thing that happened to the op happened to you to?
And you took it to apple and they waved their magic stick at it?
And now your iPhone 3GS has iOS 6.0.2 on it? AND SIRI? That's amazing

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711