Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dbone15#AC
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Default Upgrade to iOS 5 or stay on jailbroken iOS 4??

I was wondering if anyone one thinks its better to upgrade to iOS 5 or keep my current iOS 4 thats jailbroken? I don't see a need to upgrade unless the newer features are worth it. Can anyone chime in on this? Thanks!
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm staying on 4.x.x until there is an untethered for 5.0. Can't live without some of my tweaks that still aren't native in 5.0.
    grunt0300 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,509 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

its all relative to your liking. meaning; what are YOUR reasons for jailbreaking to begin with?

some people jailbroke for the very same changes that Apple has implemented into iOS 5. i know some people who no longer will jailbreak because iOS 5 satisfies their needs. i know others who despise it.. where do you fall into?

for me, jailbreaking just adds extra benefits to an already great system. like a bonus, if you will

at the time, when iOS 5 beta came out, i was jailbroken on iOS 4.x.x but very bored with it so iOS 5 was a nice change. in fact i felt, at the time, that a buggy iOS 5 (beta) was better than a jailbroken iOS 4.x.x

now i am jailbroken on iOS 5 and there are some pretty cool tweaks out there now. i am now interested in the jailbreak again

of course until an untethered JB for iOS 5 is released you will have to contend with the tethered jailbreak and i am assuming you're on an untethered JB. that alone is what keeps most where they are until further changes
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    3,444 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Root 4.4.2

I'm with dbone15. I'll wait about a week after the 5.0 JB, then decide.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,957 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The tethered jb is great on iOS 5, and you get a ton of new features. Go for it!
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS5|4.3.3

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    The tethered jb is great on iOS 5, and you get a ton of new features. Go for it!
    This where I am right now. I had never done a tethered jailbreak until now. There were quite a few changes in iOS 5 that I wanted to try out. And there have been so many changes that's there's really no telling when an untethered solution will come out. I decided I wasn't going to hold my breath any longer. I'm glad I did, so far. I'm about 40 hours in and no regrets.

I think the jailbreak scene is going to look pretty drastically different, and not very positive, especially for iPad 2 and 4S owners. I honestly don't know what to do with iPad 2: keep it on 4.3.3 jb or go to 5.0.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Im in same boat but then i cant live without MiWi, My3g, Lockdown Pro, Infinidock, Folder Enhancer etc etc. Im currently tethering between my iPhone & iPad right now. Im waiting for untethered jb then i'll update. Im waiting for the iPhone 4s to be jailbroke also to upgrade my iPhone 4.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Upgrade to ios 5 and tethered jailbreak. Most of the tweaks run on ios 5 already.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,509 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Default regarding running a tethered jailbreak on iOS 5

i would also like to add that with "my" current setup my device runs very smooth. no issues whatsoever with any stuttering graphics, speed or hangups. these seemed typical and acceptable while on 4.x.x

of course i am not using Winterboard, and do not plan on it, this time around. so that could be one reason as well