Was set to pull the trigger on iOS5, when...

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
... I got extremely reluctant, and just couldn't let my phone update. Was anyone else ready to update to iOS5 until the time actually came to give up their jailbreak?

I have over $100 invested in JB apps, and it makes me nervous that there is no untethered JB out even though I know it's coming.

Anyone else feeling undecided on what to do?

qureshi1987

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I am thinking of upgrading my jailbroken iPhone4 and iPad2. I am worried about my iPhone that after the update whether the gevey unlock will work on iOS5 or not. I bought my iPhone4 two months back on at&t network paid in full but I am using it on a different network now. Any info regarding the compatibility of gevey unlock with iOS5 would be much appreciated..

By the way I am using the old gevey sim which requires dialing 112 every-time the phone reboots..

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
The itch to jailbreak will be agonising!
No BiteSMS until the jailbreak. But like the guy said above, iOS 5 will always be waiting once the untether is released. =p

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm just gonna put this out there -- the tethered jailbreak isn't all that bad. I was a staunch "I'm not jailbreaking until it's untethered!" kind of guy for the longest. But then I got antsy when I started installing the beta versions of OS 5. I don't turn my phone off at night (I put it in Airplane Mode) and I don't habitually reboot my phone. I might do it every couple of the days, and redsn0w is super easy. So, give the tethered thing a shot. Not that big of a deal for me, and I thought it would be a nightmare.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually downloading iOS 5 right now and thinking of giving up my jb to try it out. Normally I wouldn't go near it, but tonight I'm just feeling like I don't really care if I have to run stock. (I think I was counting on winning that stock 4S...)

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
... I got extremely reluctant, and just couldn't let my phone update. Was anyone else ready to update to iOS5 until the time actually came to give up their jailbreak?

I have over $100 invested in JB apps, and it makes me nervous that there is no untethered JB out even though I know it's coming.

Anyone else feeling undecided on what to do?

Relax, I think all of us who've been in the jailbreak world a few years have over a $100 invested in apps. I couldn't even count with the price of good HD themes being $2.99 a piece. But untethered is no big deal. Its a 20 second process to reboot tethered. Just don't be out somewhere and turn your phone off. The untethered jailbreak is covered its just a matter of time waiting on Apple to see if they throw a suprise update out at us like 5.0.1 or something. As soon as I updated to ios5 when GM was released a week ago i went ahead and did a tethered jailbreak. For the first time since July 2009 I've been on a tethered jailbreak and its not untethered but its still just fine. I only respring and use sbsettings to cleanup RAM and close apps. No need to turn your phone off anyway.

Josh

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually downloading iOS 5 right now and thinking of giving up my jb to try it out. Normally I wouldn't go near it, but tonight I'm just feeling like I don't really care if I have to run stock. (I think I was counting on winning that stock 4S...)

That's the spirit! haha..

uberspeed

Jan 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I'm debating this now as well. I want to check out iOS5 but I'm not sure what I'll miss from being jailbroken. I was going to start looking into how to downgrade, is that possible?

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have two iPads, both running 4.3.3 jailbroken. I decided to update to iOS 5 on the iPad I don't use just to compare. I figure I'll leave the other one alone and wait to see how difficult jailbreaking the one running 5 is.

I haven't done much yet to really compare, but I like the idea of iCloud. I know this is not important, but I like the updated UI for the iPod. Some of my album artwork didn't carry over, but that's an easy fix. The new UI for Safari with tabs is nice, too.

Right off the bat, though, I miss the jailbreak. I miss SBSettings, Backgrounder, 5 Row Keyboard, Split Mail, Retina Pad, and all the cosmetic stuff like Winterboard.

I'm looking forward to the ability to have an untethered jailbreak available to get all this back. I won't miss the new stuff in iOS 5 as much as I'd miss having the jailbreak. Until then I'll stick with the iPad running 4.3.3.

Mike

estorm09

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm debating this now as well. I want to check out iOS5 but I'm not sure what I'll miss from being jailbroken. I was going to start looking into how to downgrade, is that possible?

I took the plunge iOS 5 is nice but I miss my custom txt tones bitesms and sbsetting not to mention timelesshd theme. Hopefully a good jailbreak will come out soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P0stalTek

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Dumb question because I am relatively new to the jailbreak community and have only ever been untethered.

If I go tethered, can you untether it when that comes out or will I have to redo everything?

Never used redsnow before, isn't that the Mac only one? Just made the switch to apple comps :)

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Dumb question because I am relatively new to the jailbreak community and have only ever been untethered.

If I go tethered, can you untether it when that comes out or will I have to redo everything?

Never used redsnow before, isn't that the Mac only one? Just made the switch to apple comps :)

Yup! You just re-run the untethered jailbreak over the existing tethered one. The only difference is that you would uncheck "Install Cydia" - since it's already there.

It'll probably be released by the Dev-Team so you would just run the newer version of redsn0w over the old.

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

Of course you can go untethered again, no problem! ;)

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
redsn0w is both Mac and Windows compatible. They just released the new version Mac only for now, but once they know the features are stable they'll compile a Windows version as well.

As far as I know, you can re-jailbreak untethered once it is released if you're running a tethered JB.

Tethered jailbreaks work fine for probably 9/10 people, but I like to know, especially because I'll be running it on a 3GS, that I can reboot if I need to and not lose my phone until I get home. I'm a long way from my home computer when I'm at work (53 mile one-way commute), and that's a long time to be without my phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice