Backing up for iOS 5 (do not want Jailbreak)

INXS

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello.

I do not want my phone to be jailbroken anymore and wish to back up my phone tonight in preperation of iOS 5.

If I simply hit back up when my iPhone is connected to my PC will this be suitable?

Thank you.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Why do you want to not have a jailbreak anymore? The only jailbreak app that ios5 made obsolete was wifi sync. I'm on ios5 for about 5 days now and don't see any other new addition canceling out any jailbreak apps. 3G Unrestrictor, MyWi,Tetherme, FaceBreak, etc make it worthwhile by themselves alone.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Why do you want to not have a jailbreak anymore? The only jailbreak app that ios5 made obsolete was wifi sync. I'm on ios5 for about 5 days now and don't see any other new addition canceling out any jailbreak apps. 3G Unrestrictor, MyWi,Tetherme, FaceBreak, etc make it worthwhile by themselves alone.

What about Lockinfo & ToneFx? Haven't they become redundant with IOS5?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Not for me. Lockinfo still beats the native Notification Center for options while still on the lockscreen.

OP: If you hit backup you won't do anything to your jailbreak. To undo that you need to hit Restore, or, if you're not on the latest version of iOS, you can use Update.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
What about Lockinfo & ToneFx? Haven't they become redundant with IOS5?

No, Ios5 has nothing to do with lockinfo. I'll explain. Notification Center is a pull down on the homescreen with info, weather, etc. The good jailbreak tweaks for notification center are jailbreak apps in Cydia. To add Notification Center only pops up on the Lockscreen when you get a text or missed phone call,etc. But nothing stays on the lockscreen like Lockinfo. You can not get weather on your lockscreen through ios5 and notification center like you can with Lockinfo. Tonefx is still useful. Ios5 offers new ringtones and new sms tones. But still doesn't have an option to creat anything but custom vibrations. So 3rd party apps like tonefx, bitesms, myxer, etc are still needed. The jailbroken SMS apps are still needed like irealsms,bitesms. You still have to exit out of your app to reply and send a text. Notifcation Center is cool little addition to ios5. But its still severely lacking. Lockinfo is far superior than Notification Center in non jailbroken form. Hope this helps explain. Wifi Sync is the only jailbroken app no longer needed in jailbroken form on ios5. Apple just seems to think a little addition like notification center is enough to make jailbreakers happy, lol. But it isn't.

Josh

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
No, Ios5 has nothing to do with lockinfo. I'll explain. Notification Center is a pull down on the homescreen with info, weather, etc. The good jailbreak tweaks for notification center are jailbreak apps in Cydia. To add Notification Center only pops up on the Lockscreen when you get a text or missed phone call,etc. But nothing stays on the lockscreen like Lockinfo. You can not get weather on your lockscreen through ios5 and notification center like you can with Lockinfo. Tonefx is still useful. Ios5 offers new ringtones and new sms tones. But still doesn't have an option to creat anything but custom vibrations. So 3rd party apps like tonefx, bitesms, myxer, etc are still needed. The jailbroken SMS apps are still needed like irealsms,bitesms. You still have to exit out of your app to reply and send a text. Notifcation Center is cool little addition to ios5. But its still severely lacking. Lockinfo is far superior than Notification Center in non jailbroken form. Hope this helps explain. Wifi Sync is the only jailbroken app no longer needed in jailbroken form on ios5. Apple just seems to think a little addition like notification center is enough to make jailbreakers happy, lol. But it isn't.

Josh

Thanks for this info. I now have to re-think my position on going "pure". I guess that i was under the impression that since all my ringtones & text-tones were under "ringtones" in iTunes, i could use any of them with any one of my contacts. I also enjoy having the weather on my lock screen. This means that i'll wait on ios5, until a jb is available. Thanks again for clearing this up.:confused:

kazmi

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Interestingly I had made the same decision but mine was because of the severe lag I'm facing when jail broken...I put the phone into safe mode and it runs like a champ with zero lag...sigh...I was running lockinfo, mobilenotifier, mail enhancer, myprofiles and a few other tweaks. I can live without all those except for the profiles and multiple email signatures as I need them for my multiple work emails....any input on how iOS5 runs when jailbroken on the ip4? any lag?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2