Upgrading to iOS 5 (once it's released) from jailbroken 4.3.3?

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
What is the best way to upgrade from my current jailbroken state with 4.3.3 to iOS 5 on the 12th, when it's released? I've been doing Internet searches for an hour now, and I can't seem to find the best way. I don't want to restore and start totally fresh, because I have had this phone for over a year, and the task of redownloading what apps I want and what songs I want and reentering my contacts just sounds extremely daunting.

Can I just plug into iTunes and let it ugprade me to 5? Or will that cause problems? Should I restore to my pre-jailbreak backup of 4.3.3 and then go to 5?

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
All of your non jailbroken stuff is saved in Itunes after you sync and backup. Contacts,Media, Ringtones, Movies, etc etc. Your non jailbroken stuff will have to be redownloaded when the ios5 jailbreak comes out and you go that route. But theres a few jailbroken apps that make that part easier for you. Jailbroken apps that you payed for can also be retrieved without having to pay again. You will sign into Cydia with your Amazon or Google Log In.

In simplest terms when you upgrade software you lose your jailbreak and jailbreak apps everything else is on Itunes when you upgrade contacts, etc will all be back on phone.

Josh

A good useful trick I do. Is go to your Cydia packages and take a screen shot of all your Cydia apps. Than when everything is finished upgraded to Ios5 and jailbroken you can go to your pictures and see what you had downloaded.

Hope this all helps.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
So, I should just click "upgrade" in iTunes and let it get the phone to iOS 5?

I think that you should hit "restore" first. When it finishes restoring, then upgrade. Before doing any of that, WRITE DOWN all the JB stuff that you will put back on the phone(after your next JB). Taking screenshots is great, but having it physically on paper, is better. Just my personal opinion.:)

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
It, if I restore, I'll lose everything! Darn.

Not if you backup first! Once the restore is complete, iTunes will prompt you if you want to setup your phone as new, or restore from a backup.

The obvious answer there is to restore from backup.

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Yup! Backup backs up everything on your iPhone, aside from jailbreak stuff. So like, your photos, phone book, settings, etc.

KingofHeart4711

Apr 14, 2010
www.facebook.com
All you have to do is go to cydia and download pkgbackup then run a backup on your jb stuff with the pkgbackup app and it will tell you to be sure to backup in itunes (depending on where you store the files) PKGBackup will store the backup files either in your contacts or dropbox (your choice). As far as ios5, when you install it, itunes will do a back up for you automatically and restore everything minus the jailbreak and pirated apps (obviously) then when you jailbreak it again just put pkgbackup on it again and run a restore (using the pkgbackup app) to put your jb stuff back. This is how I did my stuff when I upgraded to 4.3

I guess you COULD run a RESTORE before upgrading to ios5 just to be safe but it will take longer and you should be fine

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm kinda lost by the OP's question. Do you want to upgrade to iOS5 when it comes ou and un-Jailbreak your phone? or are you wanting to go to iOS5 Jailbroken?

If you just want to un-Jailbreak and go to iOS5 you hav lots of ways to do it. You just backup the phone before you do the upgrade. Yes it will backup fine it just wont backup your JB stuff. Once you'v backed up you can just hit upgrade and the phone will be upgraded with all your data intact and your JB be gone. You could also just click restore and after the upgrade to iOS5 just hit restore from backup to put all your data back.

If you want to go to iOS5 JBen then you could wait for Greenpois0n like JB tools which would allow you to go to iOS5 and JB without reloading but you will lose your current JB in the process. There are ways to save apps etc. but I've never bothered to do that. Ther is a way to save your theme, sound, ringtones setup though through OpenSSH. If you want to know about that PM me.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I'll be fine with iOS 5 non-jailbroken. The only tweaks I really use are things dealing with my notifications, things iOS 5 will give me anyway.

Thanks, everyone!

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I backed up the phone, upgraded it to 4.3.5, and then restored from backup. Had some issues with iTunes not wanting to re-sync from my backup, and that kept me up until 4:00 A.M. trying to fix. But, eventually, everything worked. I can tell that no jailbreak data was leftover, because the phone's "other" space went from .75 gb on the jailbreak to .34, and .34 was where it was with non-jailbroken 4.3.3.

So, only a week of 4.3.5 before I can grab iOS 5 from iTunes. Yay!

berryvl

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Indeed, the real question is if you really need to do a restore before upgrading from a jailbroken state to iOS5. So if you do not will there be old jb stuff sitting on your phone that you can't see but take up space. Another thing is, will there be enough space on the system partition of your phone when you do not restore first ?

berryvl

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I backed up the phone, upgraded it to 4.3.5, and then restored from backup. Had some issues with iTunes not wanting to re-sync from my backup, and that kept me up until 4:00 A.M. trying to fix. But, eventually, everything worked. I can tell that no jailbreak data was leftover, because the phone's "other" space went from .75 gb on the jailbreak to .34, and .34 was where it was with non-jailbroken 4.3.3.

So, only a week of 4.3.5 before I can grab iOS 5 from iTunes. Yay!

Hmm, that sounds good, but why did you have to restore from backup if you did an upgrade? Normally the upgrade means you keep all your stuff? And I would also like to know what it was that kept you up all night but especially what you did to make it work again ;)

bocaboy

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I think everyone's lost track of the original question, so maybe I could try and restate it and see if there is a straight-forward, simple answer.

If I have a jailbroken phone and want to upgrade to a non-jailbroken phone running IOS5, do I just let iTunes run the upgrade? I realize I'll lose my existing apps from Cydia, but with the new features of IOS5, I may no longer need them. As an example, I jail-broke my specifically to get Bluetooth support for Skype, but with its newest release, I no longer need it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Exergy

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Every time I try to restore or update it gives me an error telling me my iPhone is not eligible for the update. I'm not really sure what to do about that because I'm afraid Apple marked my phone as a jailbroken iPhone... I'm trying to manually erase all the content and settings on my iPhone on the iPhone itself and hope that iTunes lets me use a backup. I'll be really upset if it doesn't let me restore from a backup...

Exergy

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Apple can't "mark" iPhones, IIRC. It could just be because iOS 5 isn't officially on iTunes, yet. :)

My iPhone has been erasing the content and settings on my phone for 5 hours now. I wish I didn't opt to erase everything manually, this is taking forever. I have tons of backups so I'm not worried about losing my data but its just annoying.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234