Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

2 Posts

Default Uses for my 3G iphone

A long time ago my son gave me a present of an iphone 3G (or is it a 3GS - can't tell) (model MB702LL) running on AT&T carrier. He was carrying the costs for me as a family member on his plan!

I stopped updating its software at 3.1.3 (7E18) because I had jailbroken it for tethering at that level and didn't want to mess with it after that. phone works well and tethering has been great.

AT&T started messing around with our billing and so my son is switching phones and carriers when his AT&T contract expires. The account I am enjoying is soon to be disconnected.

What can I do with it after that? Can I switch carriers with it? to Verizon or Sprint or ??

Is there a market for an older phone like this? Not a thing wrong with it in any way.

Looking for suggestions before I lose connectivity soon! Thanks --

iMore Elite

2,635 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,958 Global Posts

You have the 8 gig iPhone 3g (Still a good phone)

You could sell it on ebay? $150 - $250

You could use it as a iPod

<Cannot move it to Verizon as they use CDMA, same with Sprint>

You would unlock it and use a SIM from other GSM Carriers, currently AT&T, T-MOBILE are the big two GSM Carriers. You could also look at Prepaid sims for contract free use (AT&T GOPhone Plan)

If you are a light user I would consider the prepay plan alternatives ... Good luck!

They probably started messing with the billing because of the tethered data they have been catching that and charging people

Besides AT&T you could use tmobile or any other prepaid the takes a simcard if your already jailbroke just download ultrasnow to unlock your phone. I'm assuming since you have not updated your phone your baseband should be fine to unlock. Check here at http://www.iclarified.com/