Restoring iPhone 4 without a SIM card.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Can this be done done? Or does a SIM card have to be installed in order to restore the iPhone?

Reason I ask is because I want to try a new phone that requires a macro SIM card. I do have an adapter but it doesn't really fit my micro SIM that well.... If I like the phone, I plan on restoring my iPhone 4 so I can wipe it and undo my jailbreak.

Thanks in advance for your help with this question. :)

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
If you like the other phone, what are you planning on doing with the iPhone 4? Selling it? There might be more people interested in an iPhone that's already jailbroken (and unlocked) than a stock one.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If you like the other phone, what are you planning on doing with the iPhone 4? Selling it? There might be more people interested in an iPhone that's already jailbroken (and unlocked) than a stock one.
Yes, if I like the new phone I would probably sell my iPhone 4, therefore I would need to restore it first to erase all of my information from it. Because I didn't save any of the iOS versions after my current 4.3.1, iOS, 4.3.5 is the only thing I will get now which is a tethered JB only at this time.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't you just pop it in, restore, then pop it out and use it in your new phone?

No, because the new phone would be using a Macro SIM and the iPhone 4 uses a Micro SIM.... Can't I just restore without having a SIM card?

The problem is, I don't want to restore my iPhone 4 until I am certain that I am going to like the new phone. As I said above, I didn't save any iOS past the the 4.3.1 that I'm running now. I don't want to get stuck on A non tethered 4.3.5 JB.

EDIT: I got the answer to my question here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2382023?start=0&tstart=0. It looks like I can restore as long as I keep the deactivated AT&T SIM card in the iPhone 4.

Thanks for the responses. :)

Last edited: