SMS+ Now Live in Cydia, Stock Messages App on Steroids

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
SMS+ Now Live in Cydia, Stock Messages App on Steroids

The highly anticipated jailbreak tweak from Filippo Bigarella, SMS+, is now available in Cydia for $1.99. In case you missed our preview of this tweak, SMS+ enhances your stock Messages app on the iPhone with all sorts of cool features.

While many of the features in SMS+ are also offered in BiteSMS, fans of Apple?s own app will prefer SMS+ because of its integration with the stock Messages app.

Quick compose, text to speech, and a long list of features are included in SMS+. If you want to take your Messages app to a whole other level, head over to Cydia and install SMS+ right now!

via iDownloadBlog

ok, now i am kind of missing the jailbreak scene..

can someone please report back if they get this?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
The only things that really stand out to me are the Text to Speech ability, the Pull to Sort feature, and the ability to lock your SMS app. That said, none of that is particularly important to me as a user. One thing that really is important to me is design, and I will say that the way the text is justified in SMS+ would drive me bananas:

preview_quick_compose_reply-e1314303215130.png

For me, Bite still reigns supreme. I also didn't catch if SMS+ has any text tone options like Bite. And frankly, I don't think getting to use the native app is really that big of a draw. (Mine is themed anyway.)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I keep thinking of more reasons I prefer Bite...the whole Quick List/Status Bar icon integration is huge for me. I don't mean to dissuade people from trying SMS+ (and if it offers MMS in Quick Compose, then it is a step ahead of Bite in that regard) but of all the jailbreak apps out there, Bite is really one of the most full featured ones available.

zakmcintyre

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I personally use iRealSMS. I've had nothing but good experiences with it. I have used BiteSMS (and my wife is using it now) but I have never found a reason to switch. However, I never see it mentioned as an alternative to the default Message app.

Seven77

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I can't use any of them at the moment. They all crash on os 5 b5. I'll have to wait for one of them to update... I can't go back to 4.2.8. No backup.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I keep thinking of more reasons I prefer Bite...the whole Quick List/Status Bar icon integration is huge for me. I don't mean to dissuade people from trying SMS+ (and if it offers MMS in Quick Compose, then it is a step ahead of Bite in that regard) but of all the jailbreak apps out there, Bite is really one of the most full featured ones available.

No please I appreciate the thoughts. Given that I already paid for bite, I need to be convinced to try this...

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I personally use iRealSMS. I've had nothing but good experiences with it. I have used BiteSMS (and my wife is using it now) but I have never found a reason to switch. However, I never see it mentioned as an alternative to the default Message app.

I used to use iReal...switched to Bite due to faster updates and better overall compatibility with other jb apps, but I also found that I preferred Bite's UI. Both had their strong points, though.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
when i was jailbroken it just seemed like biteSMS was the measuring stick for everything else and it looks like that is going to continue

still baffled why even some of the features of bite did not make it into iOS 5, but in all honesty i can live with Apples method now so...

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
True, but to be honest I think the app is only half the equation. It's the same thing with Lockinfo--both are apps that people love not only because of the functionality but also because they're supported by devs who listen to their customers, issue regular updates, and just generally strive to make their app the best it can be in terms of the end user experience.

In a way, it's the same thing that draws people to Apple in the first place.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I have a couple of question for actual users. How is the quick reply function, how do you activate it and can you do it from the lock screen? Also is there a way to show the profile picture form the popup?

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
If my boyfriend ever comes back to the iPhone (currently has a Captivate), this would be perfect for him. He loved the stock app, hated bite, but this would let him do the only thing he really cared about: quick reply.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Massie, you nailed it on the head with the support factor from the LI and Bite Devs. when i was jailbroken i had numerous conversations with the both of them with questions or concerns that i might of had and it was in a very timely manner, i might add. THIS alone made them rise above the rest and this also was a result of them tweaking their product to the liking of the consumer. this is another thing that people tend to overlook when it comes to pricing. yeah LockInfo was $7.99, at the time, but like you said the updates were constant and the Dev took a lot of pride in his work, still does. biteSMS, at the time, was $4.99 which is nothing and people still complained. there was the free version too which included ads, and rightfully so. i actually ended up getting a paid version for free from Martin himself! what does that tell you about him??

it would not surprise me if either one of these guys started working for Apple one day. they definitely deserve it!

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I have a couple of question for actual users. How is the quick reply function, how do you activate it and can you do it from the lock screen? Also is there a way to show the profile picture form the popup?

I am liking it so far. Of course I just downloaded ir last night so I have not had that much time to play with it. hick Reply function seems good. Very similar to Bite and others. You Activate it from the Lock Screen with a gesture that you set up in Preferences. Basically through Activator. I have mine set up where I swipe right to left across the Staus Bar. Seems to work weel from any where right now. I have not seen a Profile Pic yet. I have to look into that more.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Oh! I also forgot to mention that I REALLY like that it integrates with the Native SMS App. No more Icons! I am trying to minimize some apps. I just deleted WhatsApp, PingChat, and Meebo. even though I liked all these I am trying to Minimize how peopel get a hold of me. I have FB and Twitter DM going to my Email, so basically I am down to Email and SMS and phone of course.

aaronsface82

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Sms+

Hard Reset Required - is what the latest update should be called. Horrible. Worst SMS app I have bought. Period. Crashes every time I try to use it. Anybody else having the same problem? (since the -5 update)

Medic7046#IM

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
SMS+ and Native app pop up's

I am getting duplicate pop ups. 1 from the native app and 1 from sms+ in the lock screen. When I turn the native pop up off the lock screen won't come on when I receive a text. Is there a way to turn the native pop up off, but still have the lock screen light up when I receive text with SMS+ pop up?

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner