Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Default Signal strength reported at 1 bar or less always

Any ideas as to why this is after jailbreaking using os x with custom restore to my phone (gsm 4.3.3) I have used the ultra snow unlock to fix the issue however it frequently causes the iPhone to lose connection and I have also had it reboot itself several times too. Being unable to make any connection to my micro cell or AT&T while outside even where I used to have 5 bars. After uninstalling the ultrasnow unlock the issues are no longer present but now I'm stuck at 1 bar again. I realize it is cosmetic mostly but it would be nice to have a working service level indicator. I have even tried changing to db reporting and all it shows is -118db.
    What do I do at this point?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.273458,-93.817976
    - Sent from my unlocked jailbroken iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

To be honest I don't even have the bars showing on my iPhone 4 anymore. I keep it set for the dB only. I still have perfect service even @ 104 dB. As long as your service hasn't changed and you can still make and receive clear calls I wouldn't let the number of bars you have showing bother you.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Are you on AT&T? I had the same issue—it's because you updated but preserved your old baseband. I didn't need an unlock, so I updated to 4.3.3 and allowed it to update the bb; that solved the one-bar issue. If you need an unlock, you had it right with ultrasn0w.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    678 Global Posts

I did the same as massie. Also a signal of -104 is not very good. In the -70 dBm is what your looking for. It will work in the low -100s but that's at the low end of the scale. Remember these are negative numbers so the lower the number the stronger the signal. I use Signal from Cydia to keep track of tower data and signal strength.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Ah I see. I don't need an unlock since I'm on AT&T but I've kept original baseband just in case I need to sell it at some point in time to a non AT&T user. It reports very low signal regardless of what the actual signal is unless there is no service. When I am attached to my micro cell I know it should be 5 bars but it's only 1 sometimes 0 bars but service still works mostly. I get a few complaints of "I called you like 5 times already" and my phone will have only rang on the 6th call attempt.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.051193,-93.402823
    - Sent from my unlocked jailbroken iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.1