Tethered JB Question

seanfros

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
If i jailbreak with redsn0w on 4.3.5 and install BiteSMS and restart my phone... when it comes back on without pluging the phone into computer, will bitesms still work? from my understanding, i just cant access cydia without rebooting with redsnow. am i correct?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
No, usually a tethered jb means you won't be able to use anything that uses mobile substrate (like Bite and many other jb apps). On top of that, just having those installed means you might not be able to boot without connecting. If you DON'T have ANY mobile substrate apps you might be able into a state that lets you use your phone, just without any jb apps/capabilities.

See this, from the Dev Team:
?Tethered? does not*mean you cannot boot at all without PC/Mac assistance. *If you have not installed any tweaks that hook into important programs like SpringBoard or CommCenter, your device will actually boot. *However, jailbreak programs like Cydia won?t work (and Cydia may still have a white icon). *Also, certain built-in apps that had to be moved by Cydia will fail (Safari being the most noticeable example).
If you?ve installed MobileSubstrate tweaks that hook into SpringBoard or other important programs, your boot will actually fail (you?ll get stuck at the Apple logo). *You need to use redsn0w to ?Just boot tethered right now?.

Tallika_fan

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to resurrect this thread.

So it's like when you start the springboard in safe mode, none of the jb tweaks work.

My question is, can i carry redsn0w around on a USB stick and use that with other computers to boot the phone if need be?

Thanks in advance if anyone can clarify that.

Pete

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Ha, I just loaded redsn0w on a usb drive last night for that exact reason. I also loaded a copy of my iOS 5 ipsw just in case. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

(And I believe the latest version of Bite will install without requiring a reboot, by the way.)

Tallika_fan

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Nice one, i just installed sbsettings and is currently caught in a apple logo boot, not fretting (yet) as i'm currently copying redsn0w and the ipsw to my stick to see if it works.

Cheers

Tallika_fan

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Well it didn't like it when i ran redsn0w from the stick, the program bombed out for some reason, not sure which. I put it down to my pc being lame.

Anyway, back in business now, just booted from the desktop program.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Ha, I just loaded redsn0w on a usb drive last night for that exact reason. I also loaded a copy of my iOS 5 ipsw just in case. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

(And I believe the latest version of Bite will install without requiring a reboot, by the way.)

yep, got my USB with redsn0w and my iOS 5 ipsw as well. booted a couple of times today just for a test run

and that is correct. bite (beta) does install without a reboot

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal