I can't find a straight answer about this anywhere!

kittycatspawz#IM

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
Let's just say, that I "might" want to Jailbreak my iphone 4. If, I can figure out how to do it (I'm 49) can you still use apps from the app store OR do you have to only use apps from Cydia? I've never seen that exactly spelled out.

P.S. If there's anyone out there willing to hold my hand and walk me through a jailbreak, I would be your BFF...forever! hehe! HINT! HINT!

Just wondered if someone could explain to me if the app store vs. Cydia is all or nothing on one or the other.
Thanks!!
Stephanie
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Look at it this way, Cydia is like the jailbreakers app store and YES you can use both

my suggestion for someone starting out in the jailbreak scene would be to research as much as possible

let me ask you this, what is your main reason for doing it?

kittycatspawz#IM

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
I would llike to customize the sounds more. And maybe the screens more like an Android with some widgets. I'm really look forward to what I'm hearing about the iOS 5 this fall, but, I think they'll probably leave the same old email tone on it. I also lliked a lot of the themes I've been seeing for the iPhone. I don't personally know anyone with a JB one, so I'm not really clear what all is involved. For such a long period of time, I was under the impression if you JB your phone you couldn't use any of the apps from the app store. Those are the main ones I use since I take a lot of pics and edit them.
Can you help an old gal out?

Thanks
Stephanie

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression if you JB your phone you couldn't use any of the apps from the app store. Those are the main ones I use since I take a lot of pics and edit them.
Can you help an old gal out?

Thanks
Stephanie

Hi, Stephanie. First, you are never too old to Jailbreak as long as you are able to understand how it is done. Secondly, you can still download apps from the app store even after you jailbreak your iPhone, so don't worry..... There is already plenty of useful information posted in the jailbreak section of the forum about how to jailbreak as well as videos on YouTube that will show you how step by step.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
yep, Irish Rose is right. there is plenty of info out there just search

also, keep in mind iOS 5 is right around the corner and with good things to come, including changing the annoying email tone. no themes though

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Stephanie, if I ever catch you trying to use your age as an excuse again, I'll hunt you down and restore your iPhone. :p You're younger 'n me, girl. No excuses. Read up, take notes, jump in!

Reactions: kittycatspawz#IM

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Also, not only reading up in it, but looking up step-by step "how to"'s on YouTube so you can actually see what it's supposed to look like and you can follow along, pause it, or rewind.

Reactions: Alli

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Also, not only reading up in it, but looking up step-by step "how to"'s on YouTube so you can actually see what it's supposed to look like and you can follow along, pause it, or rewind.

Exactly. That is why I suggested YouTube in post #4. That is how I first learned to Jailbreak my old iPhone 3GS.

kittycatspawz#IM

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
Thanks y'all! I'm still just a little nervous about doing it. I'm definitely tech challenged! hehe. I will be on youtube looking at it today. If y'all see a puff of smoke rising over North Mississippi and smell hair burning...well, you'll know I'm working on it! LOL

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The number one thing is when you're ready sit down and don't panic if it doesn't go how you expected. Just pop on here and post up your question or issue and wait for someone to help you out. Don't start doing things because you think they might work in a panic just relax the process is always reversible. If you need someone to help you through the process just holler my twitter is in my sig and my email is in my profile, email is always faster. I've helped a few people before and I'm always happy to increase the Jailbreak(JB) army :D Now before you start are you running Windows or Mac? If Windows which version? What firmware is your iPhone 4 running? You should also go to the other JB forum you will see threads about all the lovely themes and sounds that you can customize your phone with.