Jailbreak - convince me

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a spanking new iPhone 4 on Verizon. I want some stuff to change, like those stupid bubbles in SMS. But there is no way to do that on an unjailbroken phone. On the other hand I cannot afford to brick the thing. How safe is jailbreaking? There seem to be a number of tools out to do it - is one more foolproof than the rest?

korp#IM

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
It's pretty safe just follow the directions. You have to know more about the system files then it sounds like you know to ruin the phone or use bad software. Snowbreeze is good for windows and I believe redsn0w is for Mac.

cellphonejedi

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I finally decided to belly up and jailbreak my phone. What was I waiting for????!!!!! I then decided to jailbreak my ipad and again...WHAT WAS I WAITING FOR????? There is no change in my battery life. Well, Im using it even more...lol Other than usage? Battery life is still awesome!!

tkistre

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a spanking new iPhone 4 on Verizon. I want some stuff to change, like those stupid bubbles in SMS. But there is no way to do that on an unjailbroken phone. On the other hand I cannot afford to brick the thing. How safe is jailbreaking? There seem to be a number of tools out to do it - is one more foolproof than the rest?

I'm also a noob to iPhones... Just got mine July 1 with Verizon. After using it a week, decided to Jailbreak, and glad I did. It allows you to take more control over your phone. I was nervous too, but everything I've read basically made me at ease with not worrying that I would brick it. Tried JailBreakMe first, but was unhappy, as iPhone was unstable. Restored it back with iTunes then tried redsn0w (for Windows) and worked like a charm. Very easy to do and phone if very stable.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
There is very little chance of bricking an iPhone while going through the jailbreak process. Most problems that I've encountered were easily solved by getting my iPhone in DFU mode and restoring it. There are a number of helpful guides on this forum to help you as well as step by step videos on YouTube that will help you. Go for it and enjoy the Apple restriction free world that jailbreak has to offer. :)

iV1SHAL

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I finally decided to belly up and jailbreak my phone. What was I waiting for????!!!!! I then decided to jailbreak my ipad and again...WHAT WAS I WAITING FOR????? There is no change in my battery life. Well, Im using it even more...lol Other than usage? Battery life is still awesome!!

That's the spirit. You will never know if you don't take the plunge :)

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
OK, do I keep my apps and ringtones after?

Yes, you do. Before you jailbreak make sure you sync and backup your iPhone in iTunes. Everything that you have on your iPhone now will still be there when the jailbreak process is done.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Max_Powers

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I just grabbed my iPhone 4 and had it jailbroken before I could sign the new contract form lol. Thank you open WIFI hotspot at the Bell store.

ASG

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Anyone new to JBing I'll tell you a few things I've learned about battery life since that is always the number one concern. JB never affects battery life it's the tweaks you use afterwards that do. If you are heavy handed with tweaks then ofcourse your battery will suffer.

What I have found that kill battery life is Lockscreens with weather, time, etc. widgets, BytaFont, OpenSSH. If the lockscreen allows you to change the polling interval for the information it pulls like weather, etc. then you can put it at a longer time and it will be ok. If you like the different fonts that Bytafont gives you then maybe you're willing to put up with the slight battery drain. If you like one particular different font, Old English in my case, install BytaFont install the font and set it current. Then uninstall BytaFont, the font will still remain across the system and the drain will be gone. OpenSSH drains like hell if you leave it on but it allows you to do so many cool things. You can also use iPhone Explorer which works on Windows and Mac and allows you to play with the phone's file system through the USB connection. So you don't have to remember to turn anything on or off.

The final thing is there are a ton of tweaks you can do to the interface through Winterboard and if you know which files to alter you can do the same tweaks manually. I prefer to do my tweaks manually and have only two or three things active in Winterboard while still getting the same look.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I just grabbed my iPhone 4 and had it jailbroken before I could sign the new contract form lol. Thank you open WIFI hotspot at the Bell store.

ASG

If you did right in the store you used jailbreakme.com which is definitely on of the easiest jailbreaks out there. You are luck that your iPhone didn't come with iPS 4.3.4 or you would not have been able to jailbreak that way.

Max_Powers

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
If you did right in the store you used jailbreakme.com which is definitely on of the easiest jailbreaks out there. You are luck that your iPhone didn't come with iPS 4.3.4 or you would not have been able to jailbreak that way.

Yes sir that's exactly how I did it. When I was getting the phone I asked how long that handset had been in the store, and made sure it was at least 2 weeks. I specified "no new stock".... the clerk kinda made an "I understand" face and grabbed me one.

He knew what I was doing, I knew what I was dong... but none of us spoke a word about it. It was perfect lol.

ASG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2