upgrading iPhone 3GS from 4.0.1 to 4.3.3

galactus

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.0.1, baseband 05.13.04.
Since it has become a bit slow/laggy I'd like to upgrade it to jailbreaked v4.3.3 untethered. What is the best way to do it? (SHSH for 4.3.3 is saved according to Cydia)
And what is the easiest way to backup the high scores for some games? I don't want to backup everything since I want the install as clean as possible (the apps I can always reinstall).

Thanks in advance!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.0.1, baseband 05.13.04.
Since it has become a bit slow/laggy I'd like to upgrade it to jailbreaked v4.3.3 untethered. What is the best way to do it? (SHSH for 4.3.3 is saved according to Cydia)
And what is the easiest way to backup the high scores for some games? I don't want to backup everything since I want the install as clean as possible (the apps I can always reinstall).

Thanks in advance!

You can't get there anymore. Since Apple released 4.3.4, they are no longer signing 4.3.3 installs.... meaning you have to go all the way to 4.3.4... and deal with your choice between Team Pure and a tethered jailbreak for 4.3.4.

thunderkeys

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
You can't get there anymore. Since Apple released 4.3.4, they are no longer signing 4.3.3 installs.... meaning you have to go all the way to 4.3.4... and deal with your choice between Team Pure and a tethered jailbreak for 4.3.4.

If he has his SHSH saved, he can go to 4.3.3 by using a proxy like TinyUmbrella.

galactus

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
If he has his SHSH saved, he can go to 4.3.3 by using a proxy like TinyUmbrella.

Ok thanks for the replies, but how exactly is that done? Can you please direct me to a complete guide for the upgrade and jailbreak process? I've seen that there are several different guides out there and want to be sure to I pick the right one so I don't screw things up.
Forgot to mention that I also want to keep my baseband (05.13.04) since I've read that it's a good (easy unlockable) version.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If you want to keep your baseband there are only two tools that will let you do that Sn0wbreeze(Windows) or Pwnage Tool(Mac). So if you want Sn0wbreeze go to iPhoneheat.com and look for the 4.3.3 method. If you need Pwnage Tool go to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials and go to Tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak and look for Pwnage Tool for 4.3.3 and follow the instructions. Are you unlocked? If you are unlocked make sure you choose Expert Mode and the activate the phone option. If you aren't unlocked make sure the activate the phone option is unchecked.

If your SHSH blobs are saved for 4.3.3 then you will need to search on the web how to edit your hosts file to have iTunes look either locally or to Cydia for the blobs wherever you have them saved. I just want to ask how do you have 4.3.3 blobs saved if the phone is on 4.0.1? You can probably use Tiny Umbrella to do this but I don't have much experience with the program so look it up.

If you want to backup your game data I find the best way is to use iPhone Explorer and copy it to your computer. You can post up for a couple of people who have done it and they will tell you where they found the save files.

Reactions: galactus

galactus

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
If you want to keep your baseband there are only two tools that will let you do that Sn0wbreeze(Windows) or Pwnage Tool(Mac). So if you want Sn0wbreeze go to iPhoneheat.com and look for the 4.3.3 method. Are you unlocked? If you are unlocked make sure you choose Expert Mode and the activate the phone option. If you aren't unlocked make sure the activate the phone option is unchecked.

If your SHSH blobs are saved for 4.3.3 then you will need to search on the web how to edit your hosts file to have iTunes look either locally or to Cydia for the blobs wherever you have them saved. I just want to ask how do you have 4.3.3 blobs saved if the phone is on 4.0.1? You can probably use Tiny Umbrella to do this but I don't have much experience with the program so look it up.

If you want to backup your game data I find the best way is to use iPhone Explorer and copy it to your computer. You can post up for a couple of people who have done it and they will tell you where they found the save files.

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the 4.3.3 blob, it says "SHSH: iOS 4.0 ... ... 4.3.3" at the Cydia start screen, so I suppose that means that I/Cydia have it?
You asked if I'm unlocked, that is what ultrasn0w does isn't it? I have it installed in Cydia so I guess I am? However my phone isn't actually locked to a carrier any more, it was just the first year (not like in some countries where it's locked for life to AT&T et c)
Anyway I looked at the guide at iphoneheat, "How to Jailbreak iOS 4.3.3 with Sn0wbreeze 2.7 [iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod Touch 4G, 3G]"(can't post link), and in step 5 says "If you depend on unlock make sure Activate The iPhone [Hacktivate] option is checked/selected". I guess I can uncheck that then since I don't "depend on" unlock?
Also, where does the 4.3.3 blob come into the pricture, I can't see anything about it in the guide?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The guide wont tell you about the blobs. You have to look it up and make the change, easiest is to use Tiny Umbrella just run it and it should change your hosts file to look to Cydia's servers. Look at the first link in my sig, Massie tells you how to switch the option in Tiny Umbrella. Then you start the process. You can uncheck the option Sn0wbreeze will just create a custom ipsw for you. If the phone wont unlock, your stuck on USB to iTunes screen. Then just remake the ipsw with the activate the phone option checked and redo the steps.

Reactions: galactus

galactus

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
The guide wont tell you about the blobs. You have to look it up and make the change, easiest is to use Tiny Umbrella just run it and it should change your hosts file to look to Cydia's servers. Look at the first link in my sig, Massie tells you how to switch the option in Tiny Umbrella. Then you start the process. You can uncheck the option Sn0wbreeze will just create a custom ipsw for you. If the phone wont unlock, your stuck on USB to iTunes screen. Then just remake the ipsw with the activate the phone option checked and redo the steps.

Thanks again, I will give it a try. Just one last question for clarification: Your wrote that "You can uncheck the option Sn0wbreeze will just create a custom ipsw for you", what option are you referring to?

Edit: One more thing, I read in the other post (in your sig) that Massie tells about unchecking the "set hosts to Cydia" box in the Advanced settings in TU, but that isn't an option for me since I use a backed up SHSH I guess?

Last edited:

galactus

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I went on and tried to jailbreak with Sn0wbreeze. No problems building the custom firwmare, but when I came to the point to restore it from itunes I just got 16XX errors. Finally, after a lot of googling and trying different "solutions" I found a suggestion to change USB port and that was it!
So now I'm on iOS 4.3.3 jailbreaked running smoother than ever :)

P.S. I also run TinyUmbrella and copied the blobs, but I don't really see the why that was needed? (Sn0wbreeze never asked for the blobs)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
sorry I got the thread a bit late. The option I was talking about was the Activate the phone option. You can always redo the ipsw and redo the JB if you chose the wrong option the first time so I was just saying not to sweat it. If you save the blobs locally then you have to edit your hosts file manually instead of through Tiny Umbrella. You can save your blobs using Tiny Umbrella, iSH**** or just by going into Cydia. The ipsw won't ask you for your blobs, the blobs are Apple's authorization for you to load the firmware onto the phone. If you watch the process there is a part where it says authorizing restore with Apple or something similar. When Apple releases a new firmware they stop signing the old one so if you don't have blobs you can't downgrade because iTunes will try to authorize with Apple and it will fail and the process will stop. So by pointing locally or at Cydia's servers it fools iTunes by giving it your saved authorization for that firmware.

Bharat Bhushan1

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey galactus
Ok, I went on and tried to jailbreak with Sn0wbreeze. No problems building the custom firwmare, but when I came to the point to restore it from itunes I just got 16XX errors. Finally, after a lot of googling and trying different "solutions" I found a suggestion to change USB port and that was it!
So now I'm on iOS 4.3.3 jailbreaked running smoother than ever

I saw your above post and stuck at teh same point where you stuck @ restoring it from itunes. I got 1604 Error. Can you help me and tell me how you solve the error and restored your iphone ? Thanks in advance.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Jesus hell guys. Read dates. The tech world changes drastically in two years. Google the dev teams blog. Get redsn0w. Get the right ipsw from iclarified.com.

Then realize that 4.3.3 is no more useful than your current iOS. If you're not asking a move to 5+, this is wasted effort to begin with.

4.x will rarely be supported. You'll struggle to replace apps you don't have stored locally.

When this was posted, 4.3.3 was a worthwhile jump.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73