PdaNet vs. MyWi who's better

BigLan

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I've recently crossed over to Team Jailbreak and was looking for a really good tethering app to get for my iPhone 4. These 2 apps appear to be the main players in the space (PdaNet & MyWi). But would like to get the plus & minus on them both from the members on this board.
TIA

iRandom

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I've used MyWi and loved it. It has basically all the features you could ask for. PDAnet is basically the same thing EXCEPT it has a useful feature to 'hide' tethering from ATT.

joescro

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I've used both apps and in my opinion PdaNet is much easier to use and much simpler. Also I see someone else mentioned the option to hide your tethering data usage from ATT so you don't get a friendly letter in the mail from them. I remember MyWi being complicated, in depth, and not free. I could be wrong on some of those, but you should try PdaNet first.

BigLan

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'll give PdaNet a try. Can't beat FREE & hiding it from AT&T is a nice added bonus :)
One more thing, can PdaNet be operated in the background without losing the tethered connection, or will I have to get the Backgrounder app? I'm looking to use this when I go on vacation with family so they can stay connected during the long drive.

Last edited:

iPhoneGleek

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'll give PdaNet a try. Can't beat FREE & hiding it from AT&T is a nice added bonus :)
One more thing, can PdaNet be operated in the background without losing the tethered connection, or will I have to get the Backgrounder app? I'm looking to use this when I go on vacation with family so they can stay connected during the long drive.

Well it depends. If your device is running iOS4 then yes you will be able to do other things and tether in the background. But if your on iOS3 then idk how that would work with the backgrounder tweak

xvenom

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm a strong MyWi user and haven't wanted to use PDAnet since I heard it requires software to be installed on the computers in order to use it. Maybe things have changed since then, but I'm still quite satisfied with MyWi.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
haven't wanted to use PDAnet since I heard it requires software to be installed on the computers in order to use it. .

Never heard of that before. :confused: I've been using PDANet for over two years now and have never had to install anything on a computer for it to work. I ran two laptops and an iPad and an iPhone, all at the same time, off my iP4 during a recent cable outage.:cool:

iV1SHAL

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Never heard of that before. :confused: I've been using PDANet for over two years now and have never had to install anything on a computer for it to work. I ran two laptops and an iPad and an iPhone, all at the same time, off my iP4 during a recent cable outage.:cool:

Used to use PDAnet back in iPhone 3G days but needed software on computer. Then went to MyWi to overcome this over wifi hotspot. Now I just find myself using personal hotspot on iOS. Does the job.

BigLan

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm using PdaNet now. Its hotspot feature is wonder and I didn't have to install any software on my computer.

BigLan

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I use TetherMe. Much cheaper and it's built into settings rather than having it's own app.

Wow, I hadn't heard of TetherMe. How do you like it? I looked in Cydia for its description and screenshot. It seems like it's always on. Is this true? What other Plus/ Minus comments can you make about it?

BigLan

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
It would also be nice to hear/ read about other Tethering apps in Cydia, so other people new to JB can know about them.

iRooney

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
It's not always on. It activates the native tethering inside of ios without letting the carrier know you are doing it. You turn it on or off in personal hotspot settings and/or with the sbsettings toggle. I tried mywi and pdanet (of those two I preferred pdanet) but tetherme won it for me. I don't need any extra "ondemand" features.

raoulteeuwen

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I know this is an 'old' thread, but: i recently started using PDAnet.

When i connect an iPad (1), it works ok. But if i do nothing for a couple of seconds and have the iPad turn of the display, unlock the iPad again, the connection with PDAnet is lost. If i then go to the iPhone running PDAnet i see an idle connection.

When trying to switch off the HotSpot mode and switch it back on again, i'm told to reboot the iPhone first :-(?

Any ideas on what could be the cause?

jdavis530

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I've used MyWi and loved it. It has basically all the features you could ask for. PDAnet is basically the same thing EXCEPT it has a useful feature to 'hide' tethering from ATT.

The hide feature is bogus. I used PDAnet to tether, since I have unlimited data with AT&T, and still got the threatening text to stop tethering or lose unlimited.

dfb8085

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
It's not always on. It activates the native tethering inside of ios without letting the carrier know you are doing it. You turn it on or off in personal hotspot settings and/or with the sbsettings toggle. I tried mywi and pdanet (of those two I preferred pdanet) but tetherme won it for me. I don't need any extra "ondemand" features.

I do not own a iPhone but looking at it real close. Is this tether me something that the newest iPhone out can do or do you have to have a older version of a iOS? This hotspot is a make or break for me.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner