Help with iPhone 3G

Tigerfan55

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
So I JB my iPhone using Redsn0w and everything went fine then I got an iPhone4 and was going to give my Iphone3G to a friend but wanted to wipe everything off of it. Went into iTunes and hit restore and now it gives me the plug into iTunes logo on the screen. How can I (1) get it out of that mode and back to a workable phone? (2) how can I wipe the phone where I can give it to my friend without having all of my info on it?

When I go through iTunes it gives me the 1015 message, so after doing some research I now know that I shouldn't have hit restore with redsn0w installed.

Can anyone help??

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If you hit restore then the phone has been restored to factory settings which means all your settings, data, etc is gone. Do you need the phone to be unlocked? What is the problem with it now? your friend should just pop his/her SIM in and activate it through iTunes. Unless you need to unlock it then you need to use Sn0wbreeze(Windows) or Pwnage Tool(Mac) to re-JB the phone. You will need to put it in Expert mode and make sure you choose the Activate this phone option. Since it's a 3G I would suggest doing it with firmware 3.1.3 but I've heard of people using the 3G on 4.2.1 with success. You can find Pwnage Tool at iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials go to Tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak. Since it is an older version of Pwnage Tool if you can't find it throw me a PM and I can put it on my dropbox for you. You can find Sn0wbreeze by searching for iPhoneheat.com

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, it sounds like you might be overthinking this...if you're restored and at the Plug into iTunes screen, you're good: now your friend needs to set it up in HIS iTunes. As stated above, the only difference is if he won't be using an official carrier.

If you're getting a "cannot restore" error, what probably happened is that at some point you probably (maybe without realizing it) edited the hosts file on your computer. Please see this post about that. (Ipheuria, you'd make life so much easier if you just put that in your sig!)

(Redsn0w has nothing to do with it, by the way.)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
If you hit restore then the phone has been restored to factory settings which means all your settings, data, etc is gone. Do you need the phone to be unlocked? What is the problem with it now? your friend should just pop his/her SIM in and activate it through iTunes. Unless you need to unlock it then you need to use Sn0wbreeze(Windows) or Pwnage Tool(Mac) to re-JB the phone. You will need to put it in Expert mode and make sure you choose the Activate this phone option. Since it's a 3G I would suggest doing it with firmware 3.1.3 but I've heard of people using the 3G on 4.2.1 with success. You can find Pwnage Tool at iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials go to Tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak. Since it is an older version of Pwnage Tool if you can't find it throw me a PM and I can put it on my dropbox for you. You can find Sn0wbreeze by searching for iPhoneheat.com

Can't he just use redsnow to re JB and get past the activation ?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The way I read his post he needs the phone unlocked for his friend because it's already been reloaded. The only tools that do Hacktivation is Pwnage Tool and Sn0wbreeze. It will also reload the OS getting rid of ALL of his settings killing two birds with one stone.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The way I read his post he needs the phone unlocked for his friend because it's already been reloaded. The only tools that do Hacktivation is Pwnage Tool and Sn0wbreeze. It will also reload the OS getting rid of ALL of his settings killing two birds with one stone.

So snowbreeze activate with out jail breaking ? Is it a custom Ipsw ? Or just the app that activates ? Sorry for the questions I'm kinda new to this too but have learned fast when I had to get past a activation screen when I got a phone for my daughter to use as iPod ( had no sim and hit restore on the phone like a idiot ) so I used redsnow n it JB and got past the screen. Just curious to know other ways :)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
lol no prob man I'm always here to help. Pwnage Tool and Sn0wbreeze will hacktivate the phone so once it's done the phone is JBen and you can put any SIM in and the phone will open without going to the Emergency or iTunes activation screen. Yeah Pwnage Tool and Sn0wbreeze you build a custom ipsw by choosing your settings then it gives you a countdown to put the phone into DFU mode. Then you open iTunes it will recognize a device in recovery mode. You hold down the Shift(Windows) or Option(Mac) key and click restore in iTunes. You'll get a window to locate the ipsw to reload the OS on the device you choose the custom one you created and let iTunes reload the phone. When it's done you'll be JBen and Hacktivated. Head over to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials go to Tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak and read through one you'll see the illustrated steps.

PS
PM me I'll give you some JB info sources

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
lol no prob man I'm always here to help. Pwnage Tool and Sn0wbreeze will hacktivate the phone so once it's done the phone is JBen and you can put any SIM in and the phone will open without going to the Emergency or iTunes activation screen. Yeah Pwnage Tool and Sn0wbreeze you build a custom ipsw by choosing your settings then it gives you a countdown to put the phone into DFU mode. Then you open iTunes it will recognize a device in recovery mode. You hold down the Shift(Windows) or Option(Mac) key and click restore in iTunes. You'll get a window to locate the ipsw to reload the OS on the device you choose the custom one you created and let iTunes reload the phone. When it's done you'll be JBen and Hacktivated. Head over to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials go to Tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak and read through one you'll see the illustrated steps.

PS
PM me I'll give you some JB info sources

Nice site straight to the point
So another dumb question lol
I have only ever had to use snowbreeze because I has to unlock a phone and I put on iPad bb. Then my friends sister hooked to iTunes hit restore well obviously I had to use a custom Ipsw
Other than that why use snowbreeze over redsnow what are the option difference ? Redsnow JB the normal Ipsw n use ultraslow to unlock does snowbreeze do all this before you load the Ipsw ? I understand how to do all the steps dfu etc just what to know differences when making JB decisions

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Unlockers can only use Sn0wbreeze because it doesn't update the baseband. It also does the Hacktivation. When you use redsn0w you have to have the firmware already on the phone which will upgrade the baseband. So for a regular phone redsn0w is fine but if it has to be unlocked then Sn0wbreeze.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Unlockers can only use Sn0wbreeze because it doesn't update the baseband. It also does the Hacktivation. When you use redsn0w you have to have the firmware already on the phone which will upgrade the baseband. So for a regular phone redsn0w is fine but if it has to be unlocked then Sn0wbreeze.

Oooooo makes so much since now lol no wonder I screwed my self when I jb the 3G with redsnow then had no choice to upgrade the baseband to the point of no return lol thanks :) for the info

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77