iphone 3gs wont update to ipad baseband

Nht

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Hey all. Im racking my brain and pulling out all my hair trying to unlock a friends 3gs running firmware 4.3.1 with baseband 05.16.02. It is the newer version with serial number 871074....

After numerous attempts using different versions of Redsn0w and selecting both "install cydia" and "install ipad baseband". I m running windows 7 and have selected "run in xp mode" and "run as admin". The process completes and jailbreaks and installs Cydia perfectly fine but when I check on the baseband it remains unchanged.

Ive made several attempts and have followed directions to the T but am just not having any luck so Im seeking assistance with you guys here. Is there anything else that I can try or any other info you guys need to help please help me know. Id hate to give the phone back to him and say I failed. Thanks for all your time and thanks in advance for anyone that can lend a helping hand. I look forward to hearing your advices.

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I would consider it a blessing. You will be gimping him in the future by installing that baseband. There are gps, radio, and battery issues. As well as him always having to use pwnage or snowbreeze in order to update to a new os. Once on there is only one way to get that base band off and that is to have apple put out one higher. And I don't see them doing that. Sheriff Hashim tried to get it off and ended up bricking his phone.

oNly1pHone

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
It gets really old how people keep saying you'll be gimping or screwing yourself by updating the baseband and they more than likely have never done the update for themselves! Just spewing forth a bunch of rumors! I'm not saying that one couldn't have problems but it's way more unlikely than you think! I don't have any of those problems mentioned above. So just make the person aware of the "possible" risks and make them aware of what they're getting in to! It's really not the life altering event that some people make it out to be!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey all. Im racking my brain and pulling out all my hair trying to unlock a friends 3gs running firmware 4.3.1 with baseband 05.16.02. It is the newer version with serial number 871074....

After numerous attempts using different versions of Redsn0w and selecting both "install cydia" and "install ipad baseband". I m running windows 7 and have selected "run in xp mode" and "run as admin". The process completes and jailbreaks and installs Cydia perfectly fine but when I check on the baseband it remains unchanged.

Ive made several attempts and have followed directions to the T but am just not having any luck so Im seeking assistance with you guys here. Is there anything else that I can try or any other info you guys need to help please help me know. Id hate to give the phone back to him and say I failed. Thanks for all your time and thanks in advance for anyone that can lend a helping hand. I look forward to hearing your advices.

Restore to original software then jail break with red snow select your options Cydia etc do not select to update the baseband finish and let it boot make sure JB worked. Then turn phone off and re jailbreak a second time with redsnow this time only select to update the basband that is all. Let it finish when it reboots you will still have Cydia then just install the ultra snow unlock.

oNly1pHone

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Restore to original software then jail break with red snow select your options Cydia etc do not select to update the baseband finish and let it boot make sure JB worked. Then turn phone off and re jailbreak a second time with redsnow this time only select to update the basband that is all. Let it finish when it reboots you will still have Cydia then just install the ultra snow unlock.

Yep, what he said!

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
It gets really old how people keep saying you'll be gimping or screwing yourself by updating the baseband and they more than likely have never done the update for themselves! Just spewing forth a bunch of rumors! I'm not saying that one couldn't have problems but it's way more unlikely than you think! I don't have any of those problems mentioned above. So just make the person aware of the "possible" risks and make them aware of what they're getting in to! It's really not the life altering event that some people make it out to be!

It gets old dealing with ignorant people. I may not have upgraded the baseband myself but I have seen others that have and I have also had conversations with Musclenerd and Sheriff Hashim about the process. Why don't you bugger up and go to that baseband if it is not a big deal. And it is not rumors and they are not possible risks it is what will happen if you do update. It is fact that you are stuck on the baseband unless Apple does something and it is a fact that you will have to use pwnd IPSW's for the future to update your phone. Apple added another security check into the IPSW's. Thus the advice for those who need an unlock to wait for pwnage and such to be updated. There is more of risk with the iPad baseband. I would tell you why but feeding the ignorant never seems to help. You can google it if you want to know.

I would also recommend checking and reading the iPhonewiki and how the phone and hardware operate before you spout off nonsense. I will save you the time. Here is the link.
Dev-Team Blog - Ultra-recycle

oNly1pHone

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh wow!! No need to be totally ignorant about it! I was just stating the fact that it's not the end of the world like so many make it out to be! I did a ton of research before I did it and was totally aware of the risks! My point was that my phone works just as good as any other with that baseband! Don't have to make comments like that. If people are aware of the risks then go for it!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OP the only thing to consider is does the phone have warranty? is it a unlock or die situation? On a 3G it's a no thought situation there is no warranty anyway. The phone will not be able to un-JB so warranty is toast. You friend MUST understand they can't just plug in and upgrade it has to be done by Pwnage Tool or Sn0wbreeze. I have done it for 25-30 friends a mix of 3G and 3Gs they have NO ISSUES beyond bringing it to me to upgrade firmware which they would have done anyway. Since the phone is on 4.3.1 I'm thinking you best bet is to use Pwnage Tool(Mac) or Sn0wbreeze(Windows) anything else without saved blobs I'm thinking is going to fail. I just wrote the steps in another thread about doing it on a 3G I'll try to edit and link it in a min. http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unl...-ive-bricked-3g-iphone-redsnow-fw-issues.html

crystus

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Oh wow!! No need to be totally ignorant about it! I was just stating the fact that it's not the end of the world like so many make it out to be! I did a ton of research before I did it and was totally aware of the risks! My point was that my phone works just as good as any other with that baseband! Don't have to make comments like that. If people are aware of the risks then go for it!

That is the problem with written communication. I responded as I percieved the tone in your post to be. More respectively I felt that the comment about people posting rumors was a veiled attack on me, and I responded as such. As well as the comment about them not doing it themselves. I personally pride myself in not posting unless I know what I am talking about and I have seen a lot of people new to the scene who have went to that baseband with out understanding the full ramifications of what they are doing. They then come back later and can't understand why they can't restore as normal. So when I see these posts about that base band I tend to have more of a warning tone. I like to try to prevent those follow up posts of I can't restore now why, because they didn't read about the process completely.