A request for help: 4.3.2 or 4.3.3. I simply don't get it

danepak#IM

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
First post here and very very new to iPhones and jailbreaking.
I'm trying to jailbreak my iPhone 4 (4.3.3) and I downloaded Redsn0w 0.9.6 rc16.
I also downloaded iPhone3,1_4.3.3_8J2_Restore.ipsw but I'm being told that it's not recognized, when I run Redsn0w.

I've had a look at several guides on Youtube. Some tells you to use 4.3.3 and some tells you to use 4.3.2, as it doesn't work on 4.3.3 yet.

I'm confused.
Any help is much appreciated :confused:

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Redsn0w works with the firmware you're currently on; it doesn't update it. Are you already running 4.3.3 when you launch redsn0w?

Mine worked fine with 4.3.3 by the way. What is your process, step by step?

danepak#IM

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi Massie,

What does it mean that it doesn't update it?
Does 4.3.2 update it?

I basically downloaded redsnow and 4.3.3. I then connected the iPhone to iTunes and started redsnow. I pointed to the 4.3.3 file, when I was asked to do so. But an error comes up every time.
The same happens when I point to a 4.3.2 file :-(

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
What Massie means is redsn0w will not upgrade your phone from 4.3.1 to 4.3.3 for example. You must upgrade the phone first through iTunes to the firmware you plan to JB. Then you run redsn0w with the firmware you upgraded to. It sounds like either the tool or the firmware you have aren't downloaded properly. If you're on Windows 7 you may also need to set the compatability mode of redsn0w to XP. I would start by going to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials go to Tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak then look up 4.3.3 using redsn0w and use their links to download the tools and firmware again. Get rid of the ones you already have. A few questions what is the name of the firmware/OS file you downloaded? does it end with .ipsw or .zip? does it have neither of those? Finally is your phone unlocked?

danepak#IM

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I realised what the problem was.
My laptop (Macbook Pro) basically didn't download the entire file.
I've done it again and it still looks like it doesn't download the entire 4.3.3 file.
However, it's working with 4.3.2 and it was a piece of cake.
iPhone 4 is now jailbroken.

So what do I do, if I want to go from 4.3.2 to 4.3.3?
And is it important to do this?
Also, when a new iTunes update is out, is it safe to update?
And finally, is it business as usual, when I download apps from the app store?

EDIT: I just had a look at Cydia and at the bottom it says iPhone 4 GSM, iOS 4.3.3 Cydia 1.1.1.
I'm confused now. I thought I'd run the 4.3.2 file, when I did the jailbreak.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
What does it say under Settings>General>About>Version? That is what you're running. Once again, redsn0w does NOT update anything?it only jailbreaks the software you are ALREADY running. Sounds like you are on 4.3.3.

As far as iTunes goes, you can use as normal except for updating. If you update you lose your jb and will have to do it all over again.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
This is why I prefer Pwnage Tool it reloads the whole firmware none of these problems. It's a little more involved but meh can't hurt the user to gain more knowledge. I think your JB questions have been answered just go over the thread once more.

danepak#IM

May 28, 2011
Visit site
OK, thanks for all your replies.
So if I at some stage wants to update from (let's say) iTunes 10 to iTunes 11, would I then still keep all my cydia apps, when I jailbreak the phone again? Would I be able to keep them by backing them up?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
You can update iTunes, just not your phone. iTunes won't back up your cydia apps but there are some jailbreak apps that can help with that.

danepak#IM

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Cool, so I guess the way to do it would be to:
- backup the cydia apps
- restore phone to factory settings
- install the update
- jailbreak phone
- restore cydia apps

Correct?

Thanks again for all your help :)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Pretty much. You don't need to restore to factory first?just install the new firmware. Depending on your jb method, you will jb after (redsn0w) or load an already jb'ed firmware (Pwnage Tool).

The cydia backup apps aren't perfect; I usually just manually reinstall my cydia apps.

danepak#IM

May 28, 2011
Visit site
OK, cool.
I see what you mean with the cydia apps restore. However, if I've paid for an app, I would prefer not to have to reinstall it again manually (and pay for it). The free ones I'll obviously reinstall, just as you recommend.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
To be clear, you don't have to pay for them again, just sign in and reinstall. If you want to try the backup apps search for AptBackup or PkgBackup.

danepak#IM

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Fantastic! For some reason I thought they (neither Cydia or App Store) wouldn't remember if I'd purchased an app, but obviously, with a login + password, you would be hoping they would.
Thanks for all your help! Much appreciated.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2