sn0wbreeze 2.7 and 3GS Error 37

wigster

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I am attempting to upgrade a (jailbroken and unlocked) iPhone 3GS iOS 4.0.1 with the 05.13.04 baseband and new bootrom to 4.3.3, while preserving the bootrom.

I am using sn0wbreeze 2.7 on Windows. I have managed to create a custom firmware file, I am running the TSS server with tiny umbrella and I am attempting to recover the firmware to the phone (I am not sure I am supposed to do this, but I get error 3194 otherwise).

Indeed the process seems to go through, but then iTunes reports Error 37. If I try it again, it will come back with error 1600 without actually trying to put anything on the phone.

Is there anything I can do? If not, how do I go back to the jailbroken/unlocked 4.0.1 state I had before (I need the unlock).

Thanks!

Last edited:

maxburn

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Try redsn0w or iREB to put the phone in pwned DFU mode, then try to flash your custom ipsw again. Regular DFU usually isnt enough for custom ipsw files.

wigster

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
sn0wbreeze tells me that I am in pwnd DFU mode. This is what I need right? My screen is black and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do. But when I run iREB in sn0wbreeze it immediately detects it, without going through the whole procedure of waiting the 20 seconds with home pressed etc.

I should have said that the error 37 appears when the firmware restore is basically complete, after iTunes has spent a lot of time veryfing iphone install, and the progress bar on the phone is basically at the end.

Last edited:

wigster

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I've also just tried using radsn0w, as you have suggested, but it doesn't seem to recognise the firmware that sn0wbreeze generated.

wigster

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I have now tried the standalone iREB to put it into pwnd DFU mode and the firmware restore has now completed successfully.

However, the phone reboots back into the pwnd DFU mode. I have tried Fixing it with Tiny Umbrella, but it doensn't seem to have done anything

The screen is black, so I don't know whether it is rebooting or what?

maxburn

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I use the apple tools myself and redsn0w but anyway after it is done restoring initunes it should show the connect to itunes logo and itunes will pick it up to ask setup as new device or use backup. Did it get that far?

wigster

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
No. It seems that iTunes finishes the restore and then reboots the phone, while going back to the library more.

Presumably the phone reboots, but the screen is always black. It's detected by itunes after a few seconds and iTunes says that the phone is in DFU mode and needs to be restored.

The screen is just black, so I can't say anything visually.

I am trying to run something called iRecovery that I've found mentioned in various places, but it reports that it cannot find the iPhone.

maxburn

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah that isnt right. Actually i think there are several reeboots during restore judging by the USB connect noises but they dont take long. What options you put in the custom firmware?

Shouldn't be necessary to kick it out of recovery.

Last edited:

wigster

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I just used the simple mode, with the new bootrom (I checked and that's what it told me I have). So I don't think that there should be anything messed up there.

I have now managed to get irecovery to half-talk to it. It now finds it, but then I get

Found iPhone/iPod in DFU/WTF mode
usb_claim_interface: could not claim interface 1, win error: The parameter is in
correct.

Is there some way for me to restore back to 4.0.1 as I had it before? I do have the shsh blobs save in tiny umbrella, but I don't have the firmware ipsw anywhere. Although I do of course have my backup from before the upgrade attempt.

maxburn

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Oh and one other thing, apple is currently signing 4.3.3 so you don't need tinyumbrella and you should clear the entry from your hosts file so itunes can reach apple. I don't think tinyumbrella can handle 4.3.3 yet anyway.

wigster

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I've actually never changed the hosts file in the first place. I just mean I have my old 4.0.1 blobs saved, so I should be able to downgrade and restore back to 4.0.1, no?

How would I do that? Or do I just restore *without* shift-clicking while running a TSS server?

maxburn

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I just used the simple mode, with the new bootrom (I checked and that's what it told me I have). So I don't think that there should be anything messed up there.

I have now managed to get irecovery to half-talk to it. It now finds it, but then I get

Found iPhone/iPod in DFU/WTF mode
usb_claim_interface: could not claim interface 1, win error: The parameter is in
correct.

Yeah i don't know

Is there some way for me to restore back to 4.0.1 as I had it before? I do have the shsh blobs save in tiny umbrella, but I don't have the firmware ipsw anywhere. Although I do of course have my backup from before the upgrade attempt.

for that you need that ipsw and tinyumbrella TSS server running. Someone should pop in and tell where to download the ipsw, they are around.

maxburn

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I've actually never changed the hosts file in the first place. I just mean I have my old 4.0.1 blobs saved, so I should be able to downgrade and restore back to 4.0.1, no?
that sounds like it could be part of the problem, blocking itunes from reaching apple from getting current shsh.

How would I do that? Or do I just restore *without* shift-clicking while running a TSS server?

never do that, it will download the latest ios version which will update your baseband and you will lose the ability to unlock. Course if you dont care about that go right ahead.

wigster

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
OK, I seem to have managed to fix it, and I'll just record for the others how.

1) I downloaded a standard 4.0.1 IPSW and restored it using the SHSH blobs stored in Tiny Umbrella.
2) This meant that I lost both activation and the unlock. Too bad.BUt at least I kept an unlockable baseband.
3) I created an IPSW from 4.3.3 using sn0wbreeze 2.7, making sure hacktivation was turned on this time
4) I cleared any redirection away from gs.apple.com from the HOSTS file. Apple is accepting 4.3.3 installs, so you can use Apple's servers.
5) I put the phone in pwnd DFU mode using the stand alone iRED package: the one built into sn0wbreeze gave me trouble for some reason, although this may have been for other reasons
6) I restored the modified 4.3.3 IPSW to the phone through iTunes and then resynced all the content. The phone rebooted this time and things went ok.
7) Downloaded ultrasn0w from Cydia and unlocked the phone.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.

maxburn

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Excellent, good job.

I hear hactivation leaves you with bad battery life. These are the three methods I know of to activate the phone
-Hactivation
-Any legit SIM from the carrier it was locked to. Borrow someones SIM or use any old SIM where the contract has lapsed. Just put it in to pass activation and then you can pull it out.
-SAM, subscriber activation module.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OP I'm glad you fixed it:) You will always lose the unlock because the only tools an unlocker can use always reloads the firmware which means you blow away the unlock. It's easy to redo it anyway so that doesn't matter as long as your baseband stays. I think alot of people having problems have edited their hosts file or used Tiny Umbrella or it's a DFU problem. This is why I never downgrade so my hosts file has never been changed.

Hacktivation has never done anything to my battery. I had unlocked iPhones sincenthe first gen until I got my unlocked iPhone 4. So that's almost 4 years that I was unlocked and I had better battery than some people on here with vanilla iPhones complaining.

tchan

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm almost ready to cry. I have the exact same problem as you- loads up until verify and then dies with an error 37. When I try to run restore again, it gives me error 1600 now. I don't know what to do! I was running tinyumbrella with 4.3.3 custom from snowbreeze because i need the unlock. I updated to latest itunes. I have a phone stuck in DFU now and I can't get it to do anything. Any suggestions? Help...:(

Last edited:

ragmvs

Oct 15, 2011
Visit site
Same issue as above.. pls help

I'm almost ready to cry. I have the exact same problem as you- loads up until verify and then dies with an error 37. When I try to run restore again, it gives me error 1600 now. I don't know what to do! I was running tinyumbrella with 4.3.3 custom from snowbreeze because i need the unlock. I updated to latest itunes. I have a phone stuck in DFU now and I can't get it to do anything. Any suggestions? Help...:(

Hi, I am having the same problem. Did you get a chance to fix your issue ? Please help.

thanks

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen