Help! Bricked iPhone 4!

dragon9

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I believe I deleted the master.passwd file then I turned the phone off/on and all it does is sit at the black screen with the silver apple logo.

It's been jailbroken already if that matters in this case. Holding the power button or home button doesn't do anything. Holding both buttons will turn the screen black for a few seconds, then bring back the same silver apple logo screen, then turn off.

Turn it back on, and you get the same silver apple logo screen.
Am I screwed? Any ideas on what I can try next? This is my 3rd iphone and I've never done anything this stupid before!

Any help is very much appreciated!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
DFU RESTORE
Try the steps listed below, but make sure that you have downloaded the latest version of iTunes before attempting to do this.
Put the iPhone into DFU mode so you can do an iTunes firmware restore follow these steps:
Step One
Open iTunes and connect the iPhone to your Mac or PC.
Step Two
Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.
Step Three
After exactly 10 seconds, release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until iTunes pops up with a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.
The iPhone screen will remain black.
NOTE***: It may take a few attempts to get your iPhone into DFU mode. Generally, I hold down both buttons then release the Home button just before I think the Apple logo would appear. If you are still holding both buttons down and you see the Apple logo you are holding them down for too long!
Step Four
Download from iTunes and install the latest firmware and install it. Then, when it's done, simply either restore it from a previously created backup, or set it up as a new iPhone and re-sync all of your stuff back onto it.

dragon9

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I've tried 4 times now and it detects that it's in restore mode, but always errors out.

One time the phone went dark for a while and iTunes was stuck on "Preparing iPhone for restore", then it errored out, so I had to turn off/on the phone and it still had the same issue.

Another time the screen went white while iTunes was stuck on the same section. Errored again (1601, 1604, etc). Don't remember if the other errors were the same.

What an unbelievable mistake on my part. I was editing the master.passwd file because I couldn't remember my SSH password, and when it wasn't working, for some reason, I deleted it without thinking about what I was doing. Then Terminal wasn't working and
neither was Cydia, so I turned it off/on and now here I am... screwed.

Any other ideas?

Maybe this will help:
Itunes 10.2
Iphone 4.0 (i think)
Win XP
Latest log:
pastebin.com/jpdWH1gq