Noob question about SSH

spike22

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
First off, i would just like to say thank you to all of you who have helped me in finally jailbreaking my iphone 3g. I have never asked for help with it...but reading your threads has helped me all the same.
So here is my first question: What do i do with SSH and WinSCP? I mean, i know how to do it...i've done it. I can see all of my iphone's folders and whatnot...but why? What purpose does it serve? I saw one video talking about using it to make custom themes; that's the only thing i have found that talks about what i can actually DO with it.
Is there some way of using it to drag and drop, say, music files into my iphone without itunes? if so, please tell me how. lol. I guess i am just looking for a little information...sorry if this is 101 kinda stuff...but that's where i am in my jailbreaking career.
thanks.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
There are lots of uses--back when I used Cycorder on my 3G it was great for getting videos off my phone--but now I mostly use it for themes. It's especially handy if you like to keep everything on your laptop instead of installed through Cydia. By using SSH, I can upload all my themes at once (and tweak the details) whenever I want to update my iOS. So for me, it's really about the extra degree of control it gives me over exactly what gets put onto my phone.

It's also handy for little repairs and tweaks that might come up with jailbreaking...you might want to modify a file here or there, or need to remove an app that you can't get to any other way. To answer your question about music, I think it's only possible with 3rd party music players (not the iPod app, in other words) though I'm not 100% sure about that. I mostly use Pandora these days.