Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

2 Posts

Angry Help with unlocking and changing baseband

Well I've got about a million problems so let me start with the first.

My phone is an iphone 3gs with the new bootrom. I've jailbroken it before but i decided afterwards i wanted to unlock it. After doing some searching i found that i need to upgrade my baseband.

Ok so ive done some ****ing around but im pretty stupid. I need some instructions on how to unlock and jailbreak my Iphone. Heres its stats:

Iphone 3gs
    New bootrom
    Ive got a windows vista pc
    its on firmware/baseband 05.16.02
    It is IOS 4.1

Some steps or some links would be GREEEEAAAATT. I've been googling all day so i didnt turn here first.

Seriously I would be extremely happy if someone could help me. Thanks a ton for even reading this far. Your awesome.
    iMore Genius

5,041 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,046 Global Posts

Do you just want to unlock, or do you NEED to in order to use it? Because I believe your only option is to use the iPad baseband, which is kind of a last resort. Read this for warnings: Dev-Team Blog - Ultra-recycle
    iMore Genius

7,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,332 Global Posts

Yes Massie is right your going to have to use the iPad baseband which on a 3Gs I wouldn't recommend. If you need to unlock to use the phone like Massie asked then you can only ever use the phone using Pwnage Tool or Sn0wbreeze to update the firmware however you will no longer have any warranty because you will not be able to load a stock non-JBen firmware on the phone. If you are willing to take the risks then go to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials and look in Tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak and look for the Redsn0w or Pwnage Tool(Mac) method which allowed you to load the iPad baseband onto the phone. I can't remember which firmware it was I think somewhere in the 4.2.1 range.