Proper method for updating jailbreak? (i.e. 4.2.1 to 4.3.2)

Prodigal

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm relatively new to team jailbreak, I have an iPhone 4 that I jailbroke a few months back and have been very happy with the extra features and options I'm able to play with now. I've been running 4.2.1 and holding off any of the upgrades until there was an untethered option for 4.3.2.

I looked at a number of threads here and a few guides around the web but wasn't able to find one specifically for upgrading an already jailbroken device, but from all my digging I thought I had a firm enough grasp and decided today would be the day.

I did a backup in iTunes, as well as backing up my SHSH via TinyUmbrella, and then gave itunes the go ahead to upgrade my phone to 4.3.2. I'm guessing that was my mistake, as it failed before completing and put the phone into recovery mode, giving a "the iphone could not be restored" error message.

Several more restore attempts, more searching on the boards, and half an hour later I determined that I needed to edit my hosts file to allow the upgrade to complete successfully. I did so, but had to leave for work before I could actually jailbreak the device again.

My questions are first, what is the best way to upgrade an iOS device that is already jailbroken to a new firmware version (provided there is a jailbreak out for said new version)?

Secondly, I'm aware that a lot of people recommend doing a set up as new for new firmware revisions, but I really don't like losing all my settings/texts/app data/etc. so before I got into jailbreaking I always did a restore. My mentality is that if I have issues I can always blow the thing away and start over if I have to. My understanding is that I'm able to have iTunes restore everything back to my phone after I've upgraded the firmware and jailbroken it again. What is the best way to go about this?

Finally, if I get myself an iPhone5 when they come out and a jailbreak is released for it, is there a viable way to get everything moved over to it from my previous one? For pure phones iTunes does this natively, and I suppose it stands to reason it should still work post jailbreak, but I'd rather make sure instead of guessing.

Thanks in advance :)

myzhi

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
If you don't care about saving your baseband, it's generally recommended to restore as new device to new the firmware. And, then, JB. If you want to keep your old data, you could do a restore to the new firmware then do a restore backup.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I don't kow why so many people have problems upgrading. You should be able to just plug in your phone and upgrade the firmware through iTunes like you said. I would say the first thing to try is reinstall your iTunes, Don't un-install it, just install iTunes it will ask if you want to remove or repair just choose repair. Then plug in your device and try to upgrade to 4.3.2 if it gets stuck again try putting your device in DFU mode and then restore it will restore and upgrade to the latest firmware.

I have always restored in the four years I've been JBing. I'm like you I restore and if there is a problem I can always wipe it and set it up as new.

When you get an iPhone 5 just backup and sync your current phone hook it up to iPhone and do a sync it should ask if you want to restore from your latest backup. The JB apps are a little different there are apps but from one phone to another I don't know.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice