Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

75 Posts

Default RedSnow vs Greenpoison

I have still be running 4.2.1 jailbroken with greenpoison. I was wondering how different (if anything) the new RedSnow JB for 4.3.2 is from Greenposion. Will is work the same, same easy to use, etc.? Looking for some advice before I jump in with Red Snow to update. Anyone know if incompatability issues with any aps? Gotta get ready to back up and remember all my cydia apps. Thanks in advance.
    iMore Elite

2,329 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,463 Global Posts

According to what i've read here, redsnow isn't quite ready with their 4.3.2 jailbreak (for iPhone4) just yet. I've only used greenpoison to jailbreak, but redsnow is supposed to be just as good. Some of the more techy people will chime in on this soon, and they have a lot more expertise than i do, but i personally will wait on greenpoison, as i believe that it is easier to use for someone with limited experience in jailbreaking (just my own opinion). Good luck.
    iPhone Intermediate

154 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts

iPhone4 4.3.2 untether is out by redsn0w.

redsn0w was the first I've used, and it's very easy. Some very simple instructions.
    Nothing to be afraid of.

Expand your possibilities.
    iPhone Newbie

13 Posts
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Ok, this may be a stupid question buy I have searched and haven't had much luck. I'm already jailbroken with GreenPoison on 4.2.1. What do I need to do to go to 4.3.2 with RedSnow? Do I essentially just taken my phone back to stock, lose all of my JB apps, and then use RedSnow to JB again?

iMore Genius

7,265 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,332 Global Posts

Yes your phone will need to be upgraded to 4.3.2 then you use redsn0w to JB and put all you JB apps back. There are apps out there to backup your JB progs search for AppBackup I've never used any of them so I can't comment so you'll have to read up on it. The themes and Winterboard tweaks can be backed up by SSHing into your phone and downloading the Themes folder to your computer. It's located at var\stash\Themesxxx. If you don't SSH into your phone check out this link it will tell you how Jailbreak and unlock the iPhone - Installing OpenSSH, using Fugu, shutting off the service, and changing the root and mobile passwords then once your phone is JBen again you would SSH back into your phone after installing Winterboard and just upload your folders back onto the phone and Voila! In Cydia you can also keep track of your purchased JB apps by signing in via Google or Facebook, and don't forget to backup, sync and transfer purchases before you start the process. I linked in another thread, should still be on the first page it says something like "Help me JB and I'll give you hugs" or something like that. Check the link out and choose Redsn0w for 4.3.2 and it will give you all the instructions to calm a worried JB beginner. You can always PM me or email me if you need more help
    kbcherry and Gigi100557 like this.