Jailbreak question

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I am new to the jailbreak community and have some questions that might be pretty simple to most of you before I JB my phone. I did try to research so apologize if there are already threads on these:

- When there is a new firmware update, are all your system hacks and tweaks backed up? Basically I do not want to have to redo all the customization upon each new system update. Can you please describe how jailbreak addresses the updates and what you have to do as a user to ensure everything stays the same?

- They warn you about jailbreaking in the apple store. Realistically, does it really cause your phone that many problems? Has anyone ever ran into a situation where you needed a new iphone or needed something repaired and they literally told you that they could not work on it because it had been jailbroken?

- Can anyone direct me to a thread with step by step instructions on how to jailbreak?

- Does anyone have an idea on the percentage of people that JB their phone?

Thanks so much!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
When there is a new firmware update dedicated JBers seldom update until there is a JB for it. There are some progs in Cydia that do backup the tweaks and now there is a system where you login with either your Facebook or Google and it keeps track of your purchased apps. There is no backup through iTunes so it is your responsibility to back them up. Do a search for AppBackup, I've never used any of the backup apps oJB but then I don't use a ton of apps and tweaks.

The Apple store tries to scare you, JB is software so there is no way for them to tell the phone was JBen if it wont power on. If it wil power on and you need to take it in, with the exception of unlockers on the iPad baseband, you would restore the phone back to normal firmware. There are problems but nothing you can't work through and with the help of people here. It also depends how crazy you go wit the apps and tweaks. Do a search here for blobs, baseband and look throigh the threads on the first page atleast.

There is a stickied thread here I believe on how to JB, otherwise head to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials and look in the tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak

Reactions: csal80

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey I'm new to Jailbreaking too, rather than start a new thread, I'd rather just post here... Again, sorry if these things have already been mentioned, but the search feature doesn't give me the greatest results haha. I have a 3gs btw.

-How do I decide which JB software to use? From what I understand there are plenty out there...

-And just to clarify Ipheuria's above post, if you restore it to normal firmware, is there anyway for the apple store to know it was JB?

Thanks for the help!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If you restore it to stock firmware there is absolutely NO way they can tell it was JBen. The genius bar employees are people just like us so even if it is JBen when you go there I've personally had the person tell me go home restore it and bring it back in and we can swap it out for you. So don't be afraid of voiding your warranty. There are some instances where the phone wont boot when you try to restore the firmware and you can either get help here to get it going again or take it in to Apple because they wont be able to tell anyway because the phone can't boot.

How do you know which tool to use, it is depedent on the model of phone, firmware you're trying to JB and then after that when there are a couple it depends on which you personally want to use. Some are easier than others, some are Mac only while others are Windows only and some do both. Some will wipe the phone while others will not and some will leave the baseband alone, these are the ones that unlockers have to use. Go to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials and look in Tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak

Pwnage Tool - Mac only, reloads the firmware aka wipes the phone, do a backup and sync before using it. It doesn't upgrade the baseband, must be used by unlockers.

Sn0wbreeze - Windows only version of Pwnage Tool same rules apply.

Redsn0w - JB for 4.3.1, you need to upgrade the firmware on your phone to 4.3.1 before you can do the JB, this is why unlockers can't use this tool.

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I've read up on a few tutorials. I noticed that they pretty much all the tutorials have you install Cydia at some point, I've heard the name plenty of times, but what exactly does it do?

Forgive my ignorance, I'm good with Window's PCs but other almost any coding and other OSs and whatnot are a little above me haha.

Topgunner

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Cydia

Cydia is the app store for jailbroken phones. This is where you can buy and/or download free apps and utilities that allow you to modify your phone's appearance and ability.:D

Reactions: rosenstar

Topgunner

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
phone carrier?

I'm not sure who your phone carrier is, but VZW's IPhone can be jailbroken with Greenpoison.

It's also very important to know what iOS your phone currently has. VZW's phone iOS are at 4.2.6. The other carriers maybe at 4.3 or 4.3.1. It just depends.

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure who your phone carrier is, but VZW's IPhone can be jailbroken with Greenpoison.

It's also very important to know what iOS your phone currently has. VZW's phone iOS are at 4.2.6. The other carriers maybe at 4.3 or 4.3.1. It just depends.

I've come across Greenpoison, is it for verizon only or At&t too?

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
So I guess, going back to my original question, does it matter which JB tool I use? I have a 3Gs and a PC, so I get that I need a JB tool that meets those requirements, but is there any advantage to using Greenpois0n instead of Redsn0w or some other JB tool?

CHAM89

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
So I guess, going back to my original question, does it matter which JB tool I use? I have a 3Gs and a PC, so I get that I need a JB tool that meets those requirements, but is there any advantage to using Greenpois0n instead of Redsn0w or some other JB tool?

It depends on which iOS your phone is running:

4.2.1 JB with greenpoison

4.3.1 JB with redsnow

And to add to what topgunner said about cyida, cydia is the app store for jailbreak apps, however you can still download and use apps from apple's app store on a jailbroken phone.

Reactions: rosenstar

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
It depends on which iOS your phone is running:

4.2.1 JB with greenpoison

4.3.1 JB with redsnow

And to add to what topgunner said about cyida, cydia is the app store for jailbreak apps, however you can still download and use apps from apple's app store on a jailbroken phone.

Ahh I see. Where can I find the iOS? Is it in setting -> general -> about? Sorry, my phone's dead so I can't play around with it myself.

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Help! Just jailbroke and I got a problem! I don't have any service. It went away when I first did the restore and hasn't came back. I tried turning my phone on and off, no luck. I do still have wi-fi access though.

Last edited:

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
AT&T

I tried redoing the jailbreak again. Now I get service, but my cydia app has a white box for the picture. When ever I click on it, it starts to open an app, then it immediately collapses and goes back to the home screen. Can anyone make any sense of this?

rosenstar

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, so I think I got the Version and Modem Firmware mixed up (in settings -> general -> about) and selected the wrong jailbreaking software.

To clarify, I have a 3Gs on AT&T, Version 4.3.2 (8H7), with Modem Firmware 05.16.02, can someone recommend software to use and a tutorial to follow?

Again, I apologize for my ignorance, thanks for baring with me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DerekIversion