04-17-2011 12:54 PM
- Hi, I am new to the jailbreak community and have some questions that might be pretty simple to most of you before I JB my phone. I did try to research so apologize if there are already threads on these:
- When there is a new firmware update, are all your system hacks and tweaks backed up? Basically I do not want to have to redo all the customization upon each new system update. Can you please describe how jailbreak addresses the updates and what you have to do as a user to ensure everything stays the same?
- They warn you about jailbreaking in the apple store. Realistically, does it really cause your phone that many problems? Has anyone ever ran into a situation where you needed a new iphone or needed something repaired and they literally told you that they could not work on it because it had been jailbroken?
- Can anyone direct me to a thread with step by step instructions on how to jailbreak?
- Does anyone have an idea on the percentage of people that JB their phone?
Thanks so much!04-14-2011 05:02 AM
- When there is a new firmware update dedicated JBers seldom update until there is a JB for it. There are some progs in Cydia that do backup the tweaks and now there is a system where you login with either your Facebook or Google and it keeps track of your purchased apps. There is no backup through iTunes so it is your responsibility to back them up. Do a search for AppBackup, I've never used any of the backup apps oJB but then I don't use a ton of apps and tweaks.
The Apple store tries to scare you, JB is software so there is no way for them to tell the phone was JBen if it wont power on. If it wil power on and you need to take it in, with the exception of unlockers on the iPad baseband, you would restore the phone back to normal firmware. There are problems but nothing you can't work through and with the help of people here. It also depends how crazy you go wit the apps and tweaks. Do a search here for blobs, baseband and look throigh the threads on the first page atleast.
There is a stickied thread here I believe on how to JB, otherwise head to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials and look in the tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak04-14-2011 06:19 AM
- Hey I'm new to Jailbreaking too, rather than start a new thread, I'd rather just post here... Again, sorry if these things have already been mentioned, but the search feature doesn't give me the greatest results haha. I have a 3gs btw.
-How do I decide which JB software to use? From what I understand there are plenty out there...
-And just to clarify Ipheuria's above post, if you restore it to normal firmware, is there anyway for the apple store to know it was JB?
Thanks for the help!04-14-2011 08:55 AM
- If you restore it to stock firmware there is absolutely NO way they can tell it was JBen. The genius bar employees are people just like us so even if it is JBen when you go there I've personally had the person tell me go home restore it and bring it back in and we can swap it out for you. So don't be afraid of voiding your warranty. There are some instances where the phone wont boot when you try to restore the firmware and you can either get help here to get it going again or take it in to Apple because they wont be able to tell anyway because the phone can't boot.
How do you know which tool to use, it is depedent on the model of phone, firmware you're trying to JB and then after that when there are a couple it depends on which you personally want to use. Some are easier than others, some are Mac only while others are Windows only and some do both. Some will wipe the phone while others will not and some will leave the baseband alone, these are the ones that unlockers have to use. Go to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials and look in Tutorials, iPhone, Jailbreak
Pwnage Tool - Mac only, reloads the firmware aka wipes the phone, do a backup and sync before using it. It doesn't upgrade the baseband, must be used by unlockers.
Sn0wbreeze - Windows only version of Pwnage Tool same rules apply.
Redsn0w - JB for 4.3.1, you need to upgrade the firmware on your phone to 4.3.1 before you can do the JB, this is why unlockers can't use this tool.04-14-2011 10:14 AM
- Ok so I've read up on a few tutorials. I noticed that they pretty much all the tutorials have you install Cydia at some point, I've heard the name plenty of times, but what exactly does it do?
Forgive my ignorance, I'm good with Window's PCs but other almost any coding and other OSs and whatnot are a little above me haha.04-14-2011 11:02 AM
- 04-14-2011 12:04 PM
- 04-14-2011 01:14 PM
4.2.1 JB with greenpoison
4.3.1 JB with redsnow
And to add to what topgunner said about cyida, cydia is the app store for jailbreak apps, however you can still download and use apps from apple's app store on a jailbroken phone.04-15-2011 07:35 AM
- It depends on which iOS your phone is running:
4.2.1 JB with greenpoison
4.3.1 JB with redsnow
And to add to what topgunner said about cyida, cydia is the app store for jailbreak apps, however you can still download and use apps from apple's app store on a jailbroken phone.04-15-2011 07:38 AM
- Help! Just jailbroke and I got a problem! I don't have any service. It went away when I first did the restore and hasn't came back. I tried turning my phone on and off, no luck. I do still have wi-fi access though.
Last edited by rosenstar; 04-15-2011 at 12:40 PM.04-15-2011 12:25 PM
- OK, so I think I got the Version and Modem Firmware mixed up (in settings -> general -> about) and selected the wrong jailbreaking software.
To clarify, I have a 3Gs on AT&T, Version 4.3.2 (8H7), with Modem Firmware 05.16.02, can someone recommend software to use and a tutorial to follow?
Again, I apologize for my ignorance, thanks for baring with me.04-16-2011 09:18 AM
- No worries you're working with us so it's all good we're all beginners in some form. There is currently only one way I know of to JB 4.3.2 and that is with Pwnage Tool(Mac) using custom bundles. This will wipe your phone so I'd recommend just sitting tight, the firmware is pretty new but Apple hasn't patched the exploit so it wont be long before there are tools out for it. If you have your SHSH blobs saved then you can downgrade to 4.3.1 and redo your JB.04-16-2011 10:14 AM
- No worries you're working with us so it's all good we're all beginners in some form. There is currently only one way I know of to JB 4.3.2 and that is with Pwnage Tool(Mac) using custom bundles. This will wipe your phone so I'd recommend just sitting tight, the firmware is pretty new but Apple hasn't patched the exploit so it wont be long before there are tools out for it. If you have your SHSH blobs saved then you can downgrade to 4.3.1 and redo your JB.
^can that JB my phone? The tutorial starts by saying:
"But just like the PwnageTool jailbreak, Redsn0w 0.9.6 too is limited to tethered boot only, which means that you will have to boot your iOS device in tethered state on every reboot."
From what I understand, this means I'll have to reboot my jailbroken phone every time I turn it on or off? Am I right? If so, this doesn't sound good...
Also the tutorial says there's download for windows, but the pictures included in the instructions are all for a mac, can I assume it's the same procedure?04-17-2011 12:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD