Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,579 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Arrow Reasons why YOU jailbreak?

i have been playing the jailbreak game for over 2 years now and i do have to say i have learned quite a bit. a lot from this very same place, thanks to some wonderful and patient members. also google was/is a very good friend!

at first i was all about themes and other customizations.. now i am happy with just making the workability of the device BETTER (because we all know that Apples notification system, currently, sucks) i still like to do some minor cosmetic things but it can be very time consuming when you get deep into the theming scene

here are some of the reasons why I, currently, jailbreak:

AskToSend (great way to proofread a text or email before you send it out, it also checks for blank subjects within an email)

biteSMS ( if Apple does not make their SMS system similar to this then they have failed, IMO)

FullScreen for Safari (it is very difficult for me to use the stock version after using this brilliant tweak)

iFile (if you like complete control over your system files by using your device, then this is a must have. money well spent)

LockInfo (of course. amazing tweak with amazing support)

Mobile Terminal (very important if security is a concern)

MyWi (very controversial app/tweak.. i have been using this since the day i have been jailbroken. i do not "abuse" it like some reports i have read but it appears it may have ran it's course. i guess i am $ ahead?)

Popup Blocker (for some reason Apple feels it necessary to shove notifications in your face when one is received. this will eliminate that and when integrated with LockInfo it makes the perfect setup)

PlayAwake (allows you to play your iPod music when alarms are set. yes i know there are Apps in the AppStore for this. i'd rather donate my money here)

Screendimmer (if you like complete control over how your screen dims in any situation as well as save battery life, then this is the tweak for you)

Sbsettings and Activator (very useful tweaks that allow you have a lot of control over your system within minimal gestures, even from your lockscreen, if preferred)

SpringClean (gives you a lot of customization without the use of winterboard, if that matters to you)

WinterBoard (Epic tweak that opens up the world to theming. my current uses for this are Transparent Statusbar & HTC Clock HD for LockInfo)

of course i have left out some others but these are my main reasons (currently) obviously this list can fluctuate over time
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Because I can LOL just wanted to be a smart ***

When I got my first gen iPhone JBing was a necessity for me since Canada didn't get the iPhone until 3G. So not only did we not have the phone there were no data plans. So I JB and unlocked for all the firmware until I moved to a 3G. When I moved up I had learned that I didn't need a data plan because 90% of my day is spent in Wifi locations. So I was permanently JBen for 4 years since I needed SBSettings to turn off data and to be unlocked. The first time I ever ran a vanilla iPhone was my iPhone 4 with iOS 4 which allowed me to turn off the data on the phone. However I have since JBen because the stock OS just doesn't do it for me. I'm a very aesthetic person who loves customizing, you would be able to tell by my modded VDub. I also don't use alot of JB apps like you I keep it to the ones that perform a function for me. I download themes but then I SSH them to my computer and take parts that I like combining it with my own custom theme. So I only ever run one theme in Winterboard. The thing most members of Team Pure say over and over is "it just works", in the 4 years I have been JBen I have NEVER had my phone not work EVER. I had a problem once with Winterboard that would put my phone into Safe Mode. I uninstalled it and my phone was perfect. So I'm not buying that personally but it is their choice I just think they stick to that excuse in order to rationalize their reasons. My JB app are:

Winterboard-As a newly customizing themer this is my #1 drug of choice I use it most often as I customize and add elements to my slider or theme and need to respring.

Bite SMS-This is a god send, when I went to 4.3 pure I almost sold my phone to buy a JBen one. The stock SMS system SUCKS!!!! and even if it sucked but allowed atleast 2 or 3 custom tones I might be able to tolerate it. They better fix it in 5.

LockInfo- I love this but only on my iPad, the screen on my iPhone for me personally is just too small to run this in any beneficial way.

iFile-Awesome tool for quick access to the file system of your phone when your computer isn't around.

OpenSSH-I was first introduced to this when it was a necessary part of the JB procedure on the first gen iPhone. However now that I'm customizing my themes it is invaluable allowing me to get into the OS and root around and learn more about how it ticks.

As a final this is why I JB

Last edited by Ipheuria; 04-09-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1 (JB)

Coming from a BlackBerry, I only lasted a couple of weeks with the stock ViP. I got used to not having the blinking LED notifications (although I'd love to see them in the iPhone at some point), but I just couldn't deal with the lack of profile settings. The only options were/are sounds on or sounds off with vibrate---you've got to be kidding me! I knew the sounds would be more limited with the ViP, but still...

After doing a lot of reading and research, I finally JB so I could get the MyProfiles app. It let me set custom profile notifications and I was in heaven; it has worked flawlessly for me and is still my #1 app.

I've since added numerous JB apps including AutoResponder, biteSMS, Fake Operator, Five Icon Dock, Folder Enhancer, Iconoclasm, iFile, OpenSSH, Popup Blocker, SBSettings, SpringMe, WeatherIcon, WinterBoard, and 5-Row Keyboard, all of which have become "must haves" for me. I've got other apps and themes for different looks when I get bored, but those aren't imperative.

I am a permanent and proud member of Team Jailbreak!
    Go home; have a few drinks; go to sleep; get up tomorrow; do it all again, only better. House, MD
    iPhone Intermediate

I had a iPod touch before I got my iPhone and jailbroke it because of themes and what not but didn't end up using it too much. But when I got my iPhone I was debating on whether or not to jailbreak, thankfully I did. I discovered some great apps and tweaks like bite SMS and MyWi, folder enhancer and a lob more. But no only the apps some of the tweaks are definitely needed like ask to call or opening the phone app to the dial pad!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I make themes, so WinterBoard.
    I travel a lot, so Facebreak.
    I have OCD about my iPhone, so Infinifolders.
    I'm too lazy to navigate to settings, so SBSettings.
    Lockinfo...It's cool.
    SNES emulator...It's cool.
    But the main reason, and the one reason I ever jailbroke in the first place-I'm a nerd, and I did it just to do it.
    GoldDust and PlatinumRed... Now on Cydia!
    iPhone Beginner

The reasons why I jailbreak...

biteSMS
    LockInfo
    MyWi

...and to a lesser note...
    Shrink, Scrollingboard and Parallax

biteSMS and LockInfo are the big two because Apple's notification system SUCKS! My fiance' has a 3GS also and I can't stand their notifications. And their messages app leaves A LOT to be desired. They don't even need all the features of biteSMS, but if they had something like quick reply and quick compose I would be happy, and also integrate something like lockinfo or Grip type notifications I would be completely happy and deal without the other jailbreak apps.

Shrink and parallax are cool, but for looks only. Scrollingboard is cool and adds a bit more functionality, but I wouldn't have it if it wasn't for Shrink. The only other app that I really use for it's functionality is MyWi (or something like tethering). And then again, I don't use it like I used to as I don't travel for work anymore, so I could do without.

To reiterate, my biggest gripe (after jailbreaking and finding out that the grass is indeed greener on the other side) is Apple's crappy *** notification system. Once they change that to something like webOS's or incorporate biteSMS type notifications or LockInfo or ANYTHING other than what they have, I would be fine and may not jailbreak ever again.

EDIT: I left out SBSettings. It's up there on the list, although not quite as high as biteSMS or LockInfo, but it's probably number 3 ahead of MyWi. There needs to be some sort of toggles (especially for data, 3g, and wifi toggling) like they have for HTC Androids. Something that is quick and easy to get to.

*Sigh* rant over.
    Last edited by hbcbob573; 04-11-2011 at 12:16 PM.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    348 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ipheuria View Post
    Because I can LOL just wanted to be a smart ***

When I got my first gen iPhone JBing was a necessity for me since Canada didn't get the iPhone until 3G. So not only did we not have the phone there were no data plans. So I JB and unlocked for all the firmware until I moved to a 3G. When I moved up I had learned that I didn't need a data plan because 90% of my day is spent in Wifi locations. So I was permanently JBen for 4 years since I needed SBSettings to turn off data and to be unlocked. The first time I ever ran a vanilla iPhone was my iPhone 4 with iOS 4 which allowed me to turn off the data on the phone. However I have since JBen because the stock OS just doesn't do it for me. I'm a very aesthetic person who loves customizing, you would be able to tell by my modded VDub. I also don't use alot of JB apps like you I keep it to the ones that perform a function for me. I download themes but then I SSH them to my computer and take parts that I like combining it with my own custom theme. So I only ever run one theme in Winterboard. The thing most members of Team Pure say over and over is "it just works", in the 4 years I have been JBen I have NEVER had my phone not work EVER. I had a problem once with Winterboard that would put my phone into Safe Mode. I uninstalled it and my phone was perfect. So I'm not buying that personally but it is their choice I just think they stick to that excuse in order to rationalize their reasons. My JB app are:

Winterboard-As a newly customizing themer this is my #1 drug of choice I use it most often as I customize and add elements to my slider or theme and need to respring.

Bite SMS-This is a god send, when I went to 4.3 pure I almost sold my phone to buy a JBen one. The stock SMS system SUCKS!!!! and even if it sucked but allowed atleast 2 or 3 custom tones I might be able to tolerate it. They better fix it in 5.

LockInfo- I love this but only on my iPad, the screen on my iPhone for me personally is just too small to run this in any beneficial way.

iFile-Awesome tool for quick access to the file system of your phone when your computer isn't around.

OpenSSH-I was first introduced to this when it was a necessary part of the JB procedure on the first gen iPhone. However now that I'm customizing my themes it is invaluable allowing me to get into the OS and root around and learn more about how it ticks.

As a final this is why I JB

What theme is this. I tried looking for it by the name in the last picture but can't find it. What's the source.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

Lockinfo and bitesms
    iPhone 5 16gb, iPad 3 32gb WiFi, iMac 21.5" Intel i3, iPod 20gb 2nd Gen
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    336 Global Posts

Lol. I'd love that theme as well looks very clean!

Quote Originally Posted by Zachslusser View Post
    What theme is this. I tried looking for it by the name in the last picture but can't find it. What's the source.
    iPhone 5 16gb, iPad 3 32gb WiFi, iMac 21.5" Intel i3, iPod 20gb 2nd Gen
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Having an unlimited data plan....

My3g - is a MUST have. Sending/receiving large emails. FaceTime'ing my wife/kids while away from home. AND the time I had to download Navigon from the App store on the road when my Garmin was stolen while taking a rest stop.

Plus about 80% of the tweaks listed above!
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Zachslusser View Post
    Sorry I didn't catch this you should have PMed me. It's my own custom theme incorporating elements of the Carbon X and jPhone with my own customizations. So email me and I'll hook you up.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,579 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

Quote Originally Posted by BLiNK View Post
    i have been playing the jailbreak game for over 2 years now and i do have to say i have learned quite a bit. a lot from this very same place, thanks to some wonderful and patient members. also google was/is a very good friend!

at first i was all about themes and other customizations.. now i am happy with just making the workability of the device BETTER (because we all know that Apples notification system, currently, sucks) i still like to do some minor cosmetic things but it can be very time consuming when you get deep into the theming scene

here are some of the reasons why I, currently, jailbreak:

AskToSend (great way to proofread a text or email before you send it out, it also checks for blank subjects within an email)

biteSMS ( if Apple does not make their SMS system similar to this then they have failed, IMO)

FullScreen for Safari (it is very difficult for me to use the stock version after using this brilliant tweak)

iFile (if you like complete control over your system files by using your device, then this is a must have. money well spent)

LockInfo (of course. amazing tweak with amazing support)

Mobile Terminal (very important if security is a concern)

MyWi (very controversial app/tweak.. i have been using this since the day i have been jailbroken. i do not "abuse" it like some reports i have read but it appears it may have ran it's course. i guess i am $ ahead?)

Popup Blocker (for some reason Apple feels it necessary to shove notifications in your face when one is received. this will eliminate that and when integrated with LockInfo it makes the perfect setup)

PlayAwake (allows you to play your iPod music when alarms are set. yes i know there are Apps in the AppStore for this. i'd rather donate my money here)

Screendimmer (if you like complete control over how your screen dims in any situation as well as save battery life, then this is the tweak for you)

Sbsettings and Activator (very useful tweaks that allow you have a lot of control over your system within minimal gestures, even from your lockscreen, if preferred)

SpringClean (gives you a lot of customization without the use of winterboard, if that matters to you)

WinterBoard (Epic tweak that opens up the world to theming. my current uses for this are Transparent Statusbar & HTC Clock HD for LockInfo)

of course i have left out some others but these are my main reasons (currently) obviously this list can fluctuate over time
    LOL, this guy ^

i do not know if it is because i am running out of reasons to jailbreak but i feel less inclined to do it as time goes on
    Banned

Global Posts
    892 Global Posts

Great topic BLiNK,

Everyone thinks that people jailbreak to "play with" "theme" and "customize" their phone with themes, which therefore makes it slower buggier, blah blah blah...

However,

Then there's us no-nonsense Jailbreakers who change the device to add functionality that should be there already.

And I'm not going to be obscure here.

Make the rotation lock on BOTH sides
    Get a fullscreen in the Safari browser
    Make your phone work with any carrier
    Access to all Siri dialects

And that's pretty much it, it's a luxury.

Global Posts
    2,648 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My reasons for jailbreaking are:

NCSettings
    BiteSMS
    SMS GV Extension
    Activator

All of these just make using an iOS device that much better

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    8,579 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 182

sometimes i get tired of hovering over my phone.. waiting for something weird to happen
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,806 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The main reason I jailbreak all my iOS devices is for the customization ability. I like to change themes every few days.
    iPhone 5
    iPad Mini

Global Posts
    3,704 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS7.1b5

I go back and forth. I get the JB bug and I use it for awhile, but because of my job I need to test new versions of iOS. So my JB's usually make it to the next update.

But when I am JB'd it is really for BiteSMS. I am a big txt'r and Bite makes it awesome for me.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Installlous and access to files thru iphone browser.
    iMore Intermediate

iOS Version

Because I FREAKING hate stock iOS.

Sent from the dark recesses of my mind using Tapatalk.
    iPhone Newbie

-Easy acces (activator and SBSettings for example).
    -Typophone (yes)
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    674 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I did it for more customize options, to make my phone exactly how I want it. My device is set up perfectly for me and the variations are limitless, I'd be happy using this device until its very last breath because of the core solid Apple engineering plus unlimited possibilities for apps, themes, fonts, keyboards, etc.

My favorites are:
    BiteSMS
    iFile
    ColorKeyboard
    Winterboard
    Springtomize
    BytaFont
    MyWi
    iTransmission
    Safari download manager
    NCSettings
    Installous (for downloading stuff from GameLoft, EA, etc. I do support Dev's and try not to get cracked versions)
    And I'm trying to get accustom to activator.

Sent from space using Tapatalk
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My 4s is jail broken and happily so. I am debating jail breaking my iPad 3.

What are you guys' reasons for jb-ing ipads
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaDon08 View Post
    My 4s is jail broken and happily so. I am debating jail breaking my iPad 3.

What are you guys' reasons for jb-ing ipads
    I jailbroke my iPad 3 to customise it more than what Apple allows.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    iMore Specialist

Global Posts
    1,953 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I have yet to find a reason to Jailbreak. I rooted on Droid in search of that perfect Rom/kernel combo for incredible battery life but I don't have that problem on my iPhone so...
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Some Utilities and System mods are the first reason to jailbreak. SBSettings is essential to quickly and freely setup main options, perform basic actions, ssh, springflash, and even take notes within an app. Remove BG will save you the pain of having to close all apps by hand - and you can except apps you know you usually want to remain open. Zephyr will add multitasking with simplicity - but take the time to set options correctly or it's a nightmare. SMS counter is cool when you want to keep the high hand on your usage. And so on...

Then theming, of course. Customizing without excess is my way. Define excess... well like others mentionned I'm quite OCD about the looks. It has to be neat. I saw many awesome complete themes... fabulous creations, really, and neat in their original ways... but I like the basic look of the native apps icons, that's my kind of neat. Love the stock apple in many ways, so I only choose what is often the most simplistic way to add a customizing option the native iOS doesn't allow, but should. Adding one column and one row, plus five icons dock, is always my first mod when I'm done jailbreaking a new device. My Status Bar might be a tad more expressive, but nothing much, really.

But the best is when one meets another in the creation of a function you just love, with killer looks. Such as combining FolderEnhancer with GridLock and a couple of font/color changes. If you'll allow... Starting with the basic homescreen, where we can see that an icon label misses its icon... that's my folder. Named it accordingly to wallpaper. Then you can (not really) see my folders in the folder... then a peek into one of the folders that's got apps directly in it.

Other folders open more folders... I kept the folder labels because it's mostly for fun and I want to keep my use simple. But you can remove them too... and then create a maze of invisible and randomly placed folders in folder to hide private things...

And I like to have all in one page that seems to contain nothing, except that which I use all the times.
    Last edited by GPAbsinthe; 07-15-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast