Upgrade from 4.1 to 4.3.1 JB?

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm running running unbroken 4.1. Do I need to upgrade to unbroken 4.3.1 prior to running the jailbreak? I can't seem to find any solid answers about this and I've been searching all afternoon. Any help is much appreciated.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Right, but to get 4.3.1 in the first place (which I think is what he was unsure about) he'll use Update. So basically, OP, the sequence would be Update>Restore From Backup>Jailbreak.

You CAN choose "set up as new phone" for the second step, it just means that you'll have to reload all your data (sync contacts, music, photos, etc) on your own. And either way you'll need to reload all your JB apps anyway. Some people prefer to use the new phone method since it's a "clean slate" install, but I've always used the restore from backup method myself.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Hey all,

I'm running running unbroken 4.1. Do I need to upgrade to unbroken 4.3.1 prior to running the jailbreak? I can't seem to find any solid answers about this and I've been searching all afternoon. Any help is much appreciated.

I know you got answers but I just wanted to add for future users. It all depends on what you need. You don't NEED to upgrade to stock firmware, especially if you're unlocked this is not an option. You can use a custom ipsw made in pwnage tool(Mac) which will leave the baseband at the same version and load the JBen firmware. There is a Windows based tool that does the same but I don't do JB on Windows so I'm not sure what the name is, think it's sn0wbreeze and that I believe is not updated for 4.3 so right now pwnage tool is the only option for unlockers. Using pwnage tool will wipe the phone so you'll want to backup and sync before you start the process. IMO you can always restore from backup when doing a JB I have for years and never had problems. If you do have problems then the option is there to simply redo the JB and setup as new.

PS
Setting up as new you'll lose your SMS messages, this matters to some people.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR