Thinking of Jailbreaking.

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm quite new to iPhones. My iPhone 4 is the first iDevice of mine.

After a while and learning more of what Jailbreaking enables, I'm inclined to trying it out. I've never done it before and am quite clueless about it.

I've just upgraded to 4.3.1. So I don't have previous versions of iOS. I'm looking forward to the Limera1n release, but am still quite clueless. I hope they have full instructions for noobs.

My main questions today are:

My iPhone is carrier locked.
Will Jailbreaking remove the ability to unlock the phone forever?

Also, I've seen many releases on Jailbreaks, like greenpois0n, redsn0w, etc...
What do these mean? Is it similar to "Reloaded", "Razor1911" and " Skidrow"?

fesch

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey there.

First of all, I'm also not the expert when it comes to jailbreaking ;) Only tried it once with limera1n, but for some reason (and I really don't know why... damn it...) I switched back to non-jailbroken :) But I will jailbreak it again as soon as it's online :D

But well...
so, yeah... the only thing I can tell you is that Razor/Reloaded/... are the names release groups while limera1n, greenpois0n, ... are the names of the software...

they could actually name them
greenpois0n-DevTeam, and
limera1n-geohot as scene-release names ^^

Coming back to the topic...
I guess redsn0w will be the jailbreak software to use. Don't know it geohot will start working on updating his limera1n (well as I said, I'm not the expert...)

As for the lock/unlock question I'm out of here... ^^" sorry... no idea about this whole lock-thing @:)

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
IF you have a Verizon iPhone - greenpois0n is the way to go.

Jailbreaking & carrier unlocking are related - but, you can jailbreak without 'unlocking' - which is what I've done.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
If he's on 4.3.1 he doesn't have a Verizon phone, and will have to wait for the next jailbreak release unless he wants a tethered (boo!) jailbreak.

You have to jailbreak to unlock (unlocking isn't for Verizon phones as it refers to sim cards only).

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info!

I'm not bothered about unlocking, but I'm thinking whether it will screw up my phone in the future if I do want to sim-unlock it. Still not too familiar with what baseband is. I've got a 4.0.10 i think it is. What does that actually mean?

Yeah I'm looking forward to the thread on the first page about a jailbreak. It's called redsn0w then? My bad, thought it was limera1n.

I'm looking forward to it, JB i mean. Pretty sick of the default stock fonts.

Snownation

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Can someone enlighten me on basebands and unlocks? It's the only thing about JB I'm still not clear about.

Checklist. Afaik:

- Unlocking requires a hack from developers who are able to exploit the particular baseband. Correct?
E.g. Ultrasn0w on certain basebands.

- Basebands like my one 4.10.01 which comes bundled with 4.3 IPSW, have not been exploited yet, so are therefore unlockable at this moment. Correct?

- If some people absolutely require an unlock now, they can upgrade to the 6.15.0x iPad baseband during JBing, and be able to unlock their iPhone 4, but risk losing GPS. Correct?

- In my case, coming from someone who does not care about unlocking at the moment, but does not wish to brick the GPS, they can still JB and also stay on their current baseband. Correct?

Thanks for the assurances guys! I will really need them before I JB. And please let me know other dangers! :)

In summary. These are my wishes:

- JB on 4.3.1
- NOT be on 6.15.0x to cause GPS failure
- Have the option to unlock at a later date.

Cheers!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Thank you doing your homework! Seriously, too many people rush in without thinking. The only thing I'd say is never to count on a future unlock?there's just no way to know if/when it'll happen for sure.

Reactions: Snownation

Jon Seals

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
12am pacific time, untethered 4.3.1 jailbreak, try to grab it before the servers get slammed. Also jailbreaking and unlocking are entirely different meanings, though you usually do have to jailbreak to unlock. Jailbreaking gives the user root access to the filesystem while unlocking allows you to use an unofficial carrier SIM in your iPhone. With jailbreaking you can get awesome tweaks like winterboard (themes, video wallpapers, etc. ) and facebreak (FaceTime over 3G), but the possibilities are endless. Also Limera1n has been available since October, but is for 4.1 only. You'll either be using PwnageTool, Redsn0w, or Sn0wBreeze. And don't worry about difficulty, it's extremely easy especially if you've ever had experience with the PSP or Xbox360. Mostly a click of a button. If you have a twitter it's a good idea to follow @musclenerd, @chpwn, @comex, @ih8sn0w, and @saurik for updates on new software.
Happy hacking :)

Reactions: Snownation

cofiholic

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
thinking of jb too

Hi Snownation,

Just to confirm, After jailbreaking, your iphone with bb 4.10.01 remains unlocked? This is also my first attempt to jb my iphone4 4.3.1 with bb 4.10.01. Just afraid that it will be locked after I jb. Thanks!!

cofiholic

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
thinking of jb too
Hi Snownation,

Just to confirm, After jailbreaking, your iphone with bb 4.10.01 remains unlocked? This is also my first attempt to jb my iphone4 4.3.1 with bb 4.10.01. Just afraid that it will be locked after I jb. Thanks!!

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Please read this post from the Dev-Team regarding unlocks and 4.3.1:

WARNING WARNING ? ultrasn0w users don?t update yet! We need to first release an update to ultrasn0w that fixes some incompatibilities when FW 4.3.1 is used on the older basebands supported by ultrasn0w. And remember once we do fix ultrasn0w for 4.3.1 (we?ll announce it here and on twitter), you must only get there via a custom IPSW from PwnageTool, Sn0wbreeze or xpwn! Don?t ever try to restore or update to a stock IPSW, or you?ll lose the unlock!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2