Editing a specific Icon

Khyle

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, I got my first iPhone 4 yesterday and went straight off and jailbroke it (with some help admittedly)

Currently all of the things I have done have been mostly click and go stuff, I have installed:
Winterboard
LockInfo
CarbonX HD (+App packs)
SBSettings
Lock Screen Clock Hide
HTC Clock HD
biteSMS

Which has left me with

images.redial.net/014.PNG
images.redial.net/015.PNG
(add http I can not link yet)

My only concern right now is, that mail icon sucks. I do like the overall 'carbon' look of the theme so I would like to replace the Icon with something that fits in with the current theme.

Can anybody maybe link me to a guide that would explain how to do this, and maybe suggest me some appropriate icons to replace it with.

Many thanks in advance.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Go into Cydia and download jPhone. Type it into search. Two will come up, you just choose the jPhone HD icon pack. Once its downloaded and installed, go into iFile. The path should be var/stash/themes and scroll until you see the jPhone theme. Tap that, then bundles then scroll down just a little until you see com.apple.mobilemail

Now, tap on com.apple.mobilemail and there will be two files. You are concerned about only one and that is icon@2x.png. So, upper right you will see edit. Tap that, tap the circle to the left of that file, bottom right you will see the forwarding arrow, press that and press copy/link. Now, upper right press done. Upper left press bundles, upper left press jPhone theme, upper left press Themes.kw5 and now scroll to the CarbonX Theme.

Scroll down until you see com.apple.mobilemail and press that. Now press edit and then press the forward arrow in the bottom right and paste. It will pop up and say that file already exists. Just press overwrite. Once that is done, respring.

Reactions: Khyle

Khyle

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Second part to my question, is it possible to see previews of specific icons from specific themes?

There are a few I would like to change, most notably the facebook one, and being able to see previews would be helpful.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You can see previews by going to either More Info or Screenshots within Cydia. When you select the theme wait for all the info to load and scroll down th page. You could also get previews of some themes and icons by going to our Post your lockscreen thread too.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes you can get a preview of some, but like that CarbonX HD Pro, I think it has like 275 icons lol. Oh, I got me a new theme :)

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
lol true some themes have so many icons but the preview atleast gives you an idea of the style of the theme.

chriscoleman

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Go into Cydia and download jPhone. Type it into search. Two will come up, you just choose the jPhone HD icon pack. Once its downloaded and installed, go into iFile. The path should be var/stash/themes and scroll until you see the jPhone theme. Tap that, then bundles then scroll down just a little until you see com.apple.mobilemail

Now, tap on com.apple.mobilemail and there will be two files. You are concerned about only one and that is icon@2x.png. So, upper right you will see edit. Tap that, tap the circle to the left of that file, bottom right you will see the forwarding arrow, press that and press copy/link. Now, upper right press done. Upper left press bundles, upper left press jPhone theme, upper left press Themes.kw5 and now scroll to the CarbonX Theme.

Scroll down until you see com.apple.mobilemail and press that. Now press edit and then press the forward arrow in the bottom right and paste. It will pop up and say that file already exists. Just press overwrite. Once that is done, respring.

I downloaded the jPhone icon set last night. Love the icons! I am using irealsms as my sms client, and want to change the icon to the "sms" icon used in the jPhone pack. I was all in ifile trying to get it done, but for some reason, the changes wont keep. Can someone that knows the irealsms icons walk me through doing this please?

Thanks

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
It's very hard to do it via iFile, it's alot easier to do it through SSH. If you want to do it that way go here first http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unl...ng-your-root-mobile-password-your-iphone.html if you have a Mac you can use this method instead Jailbreak and unlock the iPhone - Installing OpenSSH, using Fugu, shutting off the service, and changing the root and mobile passwords Once you've done that you will need an FTP client. I use Cyberduck on the Mac but you can probably even use Firefox with the FireFTP plugin. If you don't have a Mac go to the second link since it has the steps of SSHing into your device via an FTP client. What you'll need to do is go to /var/mobile/Applications and look through all the folders there, or if you have SBSettings you can go to More then at the bottom Application Folders look for ireal and tap it and it will give you the path including folder name. When you get into the folder look for irealsms.app download this to your computer. Then on your computer rename the file and take off the .app on the end. It will become a folder and inside you will scroll to i and look for info.plist double click to open it and look for the Bundle identifier. You will need to write it down on a piece of paper it will be something similar to com.apple.messages once you've got that go to CFBundle Icon files and click the arrow to expand it. Write down all the names of the icons it has listed and write it exactly the OS is case sensitive. Now you'll need to create a folder on your computer iRealSMS then inside create the following directory structure Bundle\Bundle identifier will be next remember I told you to write it down above. Then inside that folder you will copy the icon file you want to use from jphone and you will duplicate it for whatever number of icon files the plist required. You will then rename them all to what was in the plist. You can go the extra mile and resize them in a graphic editor you will find the icon size in the irealsms folder you downloaded onto your computer. This is an extra step though so it's up to you if you want to do it. Once you've got it you should have something like this example irealsms/Bundle/com.example.example/icon@2x.png you will SSH that to your /var/stash/Themes folder then go to Winterboard and set that theme current and respring. If you have any problems double check all your names for case differences even the .png has to be lower case. It sounds harder than it really is and it took me four days to get the method down so enjoy :D

Reactions: chriscoleman

chriscoleman

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I've been working at this for the past 3 hours trying to get it to work. I racked my brain, and finally found what the issue was by looking at some other icon pack paths. Mine was iRealSMS/Bundle/com.example.example/icon@2x.png, but wound up changing it to iRealSMS/Bundles/com.example.example/icon@2x.png (BUNDLES = Plural). I finally got it to work though, so thanks bro!!!

Now if I could just get rid of the panel behind my dock, I'd be good to go...

It's very hard to do it via iFile, it's alot easier to do it through SSH. If you want to do it that way go here first http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unl...ng-your-root-mobile-password-your-iphone.html if you have a Mac you can use this method instead Jailbreak and unlock the iPhone - Installing OpenSSH, using Fugu, shutting off the service, and changing the root and mobile passwords Once you've done that you will need an FTP client. I use Cyberduck on the Mac but you can probably even use Firefox with the FireFTP plugin. If you don't have a Mac go to the second link since it has the steps of SSHing into your device via an FTP client. What you'll need to do is go to /var/mobile/Applications and look through all the folders there, or if you have SBSettings you can go to More then at the bottom Application Folders look for ireal and tap it and it will give you the path including folder name. When you get into the folder look for irealsms.app download this to your computer. Then on your computer rename the file and take off the .app on the end. It will become a folder and inside you will scroll to i and look for info.plist double click to open it and look for the Bundle identifier. You will need to write it down on a piece of paper it will be something similar to com.apple.messages once you've got that go to CFBundle Icon files and click the arrow to expand it. Write down all the names of the icons it has listed and write it exactly the OS is case sensitive. Now you'll need to create a folder on your computer iRealSMS then inside create the following directory structure Bundle\Bundle identifier will be next remember I told you to write it down above. Then inside that folder you will copy the icon file you want to use from jphone and you will duplicate it for whatever number of icon files the plist required. You will then rename them all to what was in the plist. You can go the extra mile and resize them in a graphic editor you will find the icon size in the irealsms folder you downloaded onto your computer. This is an extra step though so it's up to you if you want to do it. Once you've got it you should have something like this example irealsms/Bundle/com.example.example/icon@2x.png you will SSH that to your /var/stash/Themes folder then go to Winterboard and set that theme current and respring. If you have any problems double check all your names for case differences even the .png has to be lower case. It sounds harder than it really is and it took me four days to get the method down so enjoy :D

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
lol really sorry about that I was working so I tried to do it from memory but that was an obvious fail. Which panel do you mean? nice theme by the way I'm diggin' it:D

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
The silver tray on the bottom of the screen is the dock lol that's why I was confused. I'll tell you the names of the files and you can try renaming it to have it disappear or at the very least make it transparent so that it's invisible.

chriscoleman

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
The silver tray on the bottom of the screen is the dock lol that's why I was confused. I'll tell you the names of the files and you can try renaming it to have it disappear or at the very least make it transparent so that it's invisible.

lol... And that's why we're called "newbies", right. So once I know the file names, I can just rename the extension, correct? For instance; file.png to file.pmg

Thanks for your help bro.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes just ad a 1 to the end is the same plus doesn't mess with the extension so file1.png now because it's the dock that might not work and in that case you can get the same result by making it transparent. So you can try the renaming first. I'm on the way to work so I'll post up when I get there.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OK so if you have a theme active look in the Bundles/com.apple.springboard for SBDockBG@2x.png file. If you find one rename it by adding a 1 to the end and respring. If you don't have a theme active then you can add this to your IRealSMS theme folder and I can send you a dock file or you can go to System/Library/Core Services and get the Springboard.app download it to your computer remove the .app and look through it for the SBDockBG@2x file and add it to your theme. Set your theme active with the dock file first before you rename it. When you rename it it should work but just incase the system uses the stock dock you can just edit your theme file and make it transparent. Let me know which works for you.

chriscoleman

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
OK so if you have a theme active look in the Bundles/com.apple.springboard for SBDockBG@2x.png file. If you find one rename it by adding a 1 to the end and respring. If you don't have a theme active then you can add this to your IRealSMS theme folder and I can send you a dock file or you can go to System/Library/Core Services and get the Springboard.app download it to your computer remove the .app and look through it for the SBDockBG@2x file and add it to your theme. Set your theme active with the dock file first before you rename it. When you rename it it should work but just incase the system uses the stock dock you can just edit your theme file and make it transparent. Let me know which works for you.

Can you send me a doc file to put with the irealsms theme I already put together? I'll pm you with my email... Thanks