would't jailbreaking cause Fragmention

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Apple fans go on about how android causes fragmention and that everything looks diferent. Well when you jailbreak, are you essentially doing that very thing? Making the phone "yours"? Same could be said for the OS. 4.1 or 4.2 what ever one is jailbreakable. Your not having the latest and greatest.

I'm not starting a argument., I'm just wondering.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
No, because jailbreaking only opens up the core functions. We talk about fragmentation because no two Android devices are even using the same version of the os.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Every Android device has different screen sizes, different button configurations and different features. Not to mention what Alli said with different versions of the OS. Now that is fragmentation!

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
No, because jailbreaking only opens up the core functions. We talk about fragmentation because no two Android devices are even using the same version of the os.

And it's not just about same versions of the OS but different hardware as well. 2 Android phones can come out the same month and be drastically different in processor, ram, and hardware configurations. Some have trackballs, some don't, some have faster processors, more ram, etc.

That is fragmentation, not the customization of how the interface looks ( which is what a lot of jailbreakers do ).

It's not "Android" that causes fragmentation, but Googles approach at entering the phone market. Had they entered the phone market with their own device running their own software ( like Apple ), we wouldn't really have the fragmentation issue. Instead, Google decided to make the software then leave it in the hands of manufacturers to create whatever hardware they wanted, and as you can see by the amount of Android devices out there, there's a vast array of hardware specs.

Reactions: BLiNK

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

So sort of like when you jailbreak you are sometimes forced to use a version thats a step or two behind? (ie; 4.2)

I'm just interested in hearing what ya all have to say

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
When I think of fragmentation, it's more about how different companies skin Android with their own UI. You can say that jailbreakers do the same thing, but the difference is that, out of the box, an iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone, with obvious allowances for front camera, etc. Whereas an Android device might be a whole new user experience from phone to phone.

So in short, fragmentation refers to multiple interfaces forced upon, and not chosen by, the consumer.

Reactions: JasonG

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I dont think you understand what fragmentation really means OP. Other posters have done a great jb describing, so I'll add one thing. A better example would be showing how the iPhone 3G is no longer supported, but still widely owned!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
So sort of like when you jailbreak you are sometimes forced to use a version thats a step or two behind? (ie; 4.2)

I'm just interested in hearing what ya all have to say

And no.

Fragmentation is out of the box. A user can't cause fragmentation.

There are 4 (more?) hardware manufacturers producing Android devices. They all use different specs for the hardware, and each has access to the core os so that it will run slightly differently on each device. (As opposed to iOS which has one hardware standard and one version of the os.)

The fragmentation resulting causes problems for developers, who never know whether an app will need to run on a 3" screen, a 4" screen, etc., or version 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, etc. of the os, depending on what the carrier is allowing the user to install.

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
When I think of fragmentation, it's more about how different companies skin Android with their own UI. You can say that jailbreakers do the same thing, but the difference is that, out of the box, an iPhone is an iPhone is an iPhone, with obvious allowances for front camera, etc. Whereas an Android device might be a whole new user experience from phone to phone.

So in short, fragmentation refers to multiple interfaces forced upon, and not chosen by, the consumer.

spoke the words for me, thats exatly what i was going to say. jailbreak is an option (must have for me). the stock iphones are all the same, able to run the same os. not everyone thats not jailbroken even, updates their phone right away, or even knows when these updates are available until they hear about it somewhere or randomly plug their iphone into itunes. the way your thinking of it, this would be fragmentation, even though they arent jailbroken....user choice vs manufacturer choice.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW