Risks to JB'ing Verizon Iphone 4?

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Just considering jailbreaking my new iphone 4. Just want to get some feedback from people using greenpois0n. Has anyone not been able to restore to a itunes backup? I'm comfortable with android rooting, which seems way more involved than jailbreaking. Is there any way to completely brick the iphone using this method? Or is there always a way out?

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I've spent some time reading through the sticky'd threads here, and it seems the risks are few and it's nearly impossible to brick the iphone 4. I'm still looking for some people to say whether or not they've been able to restore using itunes and greenpois0n.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
It has been impossible to brick an iPhone since the 3G. The term Brick means there's no way out it's just a heavy block like a brick. So you have nothing to worry about if you just stay calm and be patient when you have problems. Do your sync and backups regularly. If you have a problem post up and wait for help don't try this, try that, this might work it just makes things worst.

Reactions: Bugeyeblue

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I've spent some time reading through the sticky'd threads here, and it seems the risks are few and it's nearly impossible to brick the iphone 4. I'm still looking for some people to say whether or not they've been able to restore using itunes and greenpois0n.

I broke, restored - then broke again - just to know how to do it - and it all works per the stickies. It is a matter of restoring, and you're like it was out of the box.

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys. I'll create another thread if needed, but I'd like to keep the clutter down and ask a couple more questions here.

1. In Cydia, at the top of the page there's something that gives you the option to trick apple into thinking you have updated software when you actually haven't. What does everyone select on this option?

2. Can I still back up using itunes even though I'm now jailbroken? I don't know if it will overwrite my last un-jailbroken backup.

3. What's the best option for backing up all jailbreak apps and options? I'm assuming that when I do a software upgrade from verizon or apple, I'll lose jailbreak. Then re-jailbreaking would be necessary. There's got to be an easy way to re-jailbreak and one-touch load up all previous jailbreak apps and options.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
1. Not sure what you are talking about

2. Yes, your iPhone will sync fine with iTunes after a jailbreak.

3. Cydia kind of does this now with the new "Manage Account" area on the front page -- I used it after my 4.2.1 jailbreak to reinstall my apps. In the past I had to write down what jailbreak apps I had and then search for them one by one in Cydia.

I think there are a couple apps that backup settings as well -- I've played briefly with AppBackup but haven't had a chance to use it yet -- maybe with 4.3 I will...

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
1. Not sure what you are talking about

2. Yes, your iPhone will sync fine with iTunes after a jailbreak.

3. Cydia kind of does this now with the new "Manage Account" area on the front page -- I used it after my 4.2.1 jailbreak to reinstall my apps. In the past I had to write down what jailbreak apps I had and then search for them one by one in Cydia.

I think there are a couple apps that backup settings as well -- I've played briefly with AppBackup but haven't had a chance to use it yet -- maybe with 4.3 I will...

Thanks.

2. Ok, it'll sync fine, but will I still have the old backup that wasn't jailbroken to reload to if I have problems?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
1. Are you talking about saving your SHSH blobs?

2. Your iTunes will save more than one backup, you can go into the preferences of iTunes and it will tell you the backups that are saved. So you will have backups before your JB and then you will have backups after the JB. I don't know but if you need to restore you would need to delete the backups after the JB if that is what you're interested in restoring.

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
1. Are you talking about saving your SHSH blobs?

2. Your iTunes will save more than one backup, you can go into the preferences of iTunes and it will tell you the backups that are saved. So you will have backups before your JB and then you will have backups after the JB. I don't know but if you need to restore you would need to delete the backups after the JB if that is what you're interested in restoring.

1. Yes, the blobs. What are they and why do I need to save 'em?

2. Thanks for the clarification.

fennerk1

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I jailbroke my iphone with no problems and like it so much more when it's customized. Also, I tried to jailbreak a friends old ATT phone and it didn't work but I was able to restore it super easily.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
1. Yes, the blobs. What are they and why do I need to save 'em?

2. Thanks for the clarification.

The SHSH blobs I went into like the half page explanation of what they are and do. Just search for my username, I know I post alot LOL but it is there just look through and you'll find it. The basic idea is that it allows you to downgrade your firmware. So if you go into Cydia and it saves your 4.2 blobs when you upgrade to 4.3 and if you wanted to JB but there were no tools you could use the blobs to downgrade back to 4.2 and re-JB. You should read my more detailed explanation. Yes you should do it :D

Bugeyeblue

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The SHSH blobs I went into like the half page explanation of what they are and do. Just search for my username, I know I post alot LOL but it is there just look through and you'll find it. The basic idea is that it allows you to downgrade your firmware. So if you go into Cydia and it saves your 4.2 blobs when you upgrade to 4.3 and if you wanted to JB but there were no tools you could use the blobs to downgrade back to 4.2 and re-JB. You should read my more detailed explanation. Yes you should do it :D

Awesome thanks for your help. Seems like you're all over these boards.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal