please help...

mack#IM

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
i have been going through threads, trying to figure this out myself, but nothing seems to work. i have a 3GS that i jailbroke. worked fine. came across someone who said they could unlock it, which was good because it was set up for at&t and i was telus (ebay water damage trade) well, they got it back to me a few hours later, said it worked, but it was "tethered" well, battery died. charged it back up, ever since then, i can get the apple sign, plug it into the computer, it says it needs to restore. try and restore, it gets 3/4 through and kicks me out. tried running green poison, pwnage tool, and reboot, to no avail. somebody said i may have to run custom IPSW's? what are they? would that help? i don't even care if i unlock it or not at this point, i just want to get it working again. can anyone help?

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
OK Please don't take this personally it's not aimed only at you. When something happens to the phone don't try to run every trick in the book it just makes it worste especially if you don't know what you're doing just trying something. A tethered JB means when the phone is rebooted you have to connect to a computer and use whatever tool that was used to JB it to boot tethered it's an option and you usually have to be in DFU mode. OK now that I've explained that you mentioned pwnage tool so I'm guessing you're on a Mac. So what you need to do is go to iClarified - Apple News and Tutorials and look under tutorials see if the have one for pwnage tool 4.2 which JBs iOS 4.2 and it's going to keep whatever baseband you're currently on for the unlock. So get pwnage tool 4.2, the iOS 4.2 firmware it's also on iClarified then run pwnage tool following the instructions. When you get to the screen where it has the option Activate the phone make sure it's checked since you need to use it with a SIM other than the one it's designed to use. When you have finished all the settings pwnage tool will make you a custom firmware/ipsw and tell you how to put your phone in DFU mode. Then you will open iTunes and it will tell you there's a phone in recovery click the option key hold it down and click restore. It will ask you to point to the ipsw file, you will point to the one you made in pwnage tool. Then on iCLarified once your done follow the steps to unlock. If you have any trouble add me on twitter or PM me.

mack#IM

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Ipheuria, I tried to PM you, but the system wouldn't let me, need a 15 thread count, only have 4 so far. So i followed the directions, downloaded the files, made the folder, put files in folder, ran through the program. got as far as switching to DFU mode, and thats were i'm stuck. I follow the directions, hold down power and home for 10 seconds, let go of power, hold down just home for another 10, but the phone just goes back to the USB/Itunes picture, and thats it. i tried it plugged in, not plugged in, no difference. any suggestions?

mack#IM

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
o.k, i was able to get it into DFU mode, going through pwnage, timing issue i guess, opened up the 4.2.1 restore file, went through the restore, and same thing, error 1015. any ideas?

mack#IM

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
YAAAA i got it! finally! just had to keep running the pwnage software, and finally it took! so its all restored now, i know this is a dumb question, but is it still tethered? do i still have to make sure the battery doesn't die, or is it back to normal. i notice cyndia still on the main screen, thats why i ask. i think an untethered jailbreak is available isn't it? thanks alot for your help hankaz and Ipheuria, that was awesome of you to help, some of the other places they were just critical of my obvious lack of knowledge.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You are now untethered :D just don't let anyone mess with your phone unless you think they know what they are doing. There is no such thing as a tethered unlock so if you were already JBen they messed up your JB to make it tethered. Anyway did you also unlock it? Yeah sorry you couldn't get to me, you should have added me on twitter. Yeah it kind of a pain to get to DFU mode until you do it a couple times. I'm surprised however that it took you more than once to restore but glad you got it.

mack#IM

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
ya, well just between you and me, the guy has a shop in WEM and is a moderator at iclarified, so i thought if anybody could... I added you to twitter today, if i can just figure out how to send a message on that now! :p I'm probably going to try and unlock it again, otherwise its just an expensive ipod, i'm just going to spend a couple weeks reading up on it first so i don't have the same problems.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner