Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts

Exclamation Teetering on the edge...one last question before I jailbreak.

Searching and searching hasn't really led me to an answer on this.

I have an iPhone 4 with AT&T and iOS 4.2.1 and a Windows 7 laptop. I have greenpois0n downloaded and ready to go, but I have a hesitation.

My phone has been with me since it was unboxed in an AT&T store on September 24th, 2010. In that time, I have each menu tab, icon arrangement, app notification, wallpaper, tone, etc. set just the way I want it (as much as iOS will allow me to, anyway). I don't want all of these settings gone. Will a jailbreak, which will allow me that last little bit of control I want, erase all of that? I don't want to start over with an empty phone.
    iMore Intermediate

Nope it shouldn't. It didn't for me on my iPhone or my iPad. Back up your phone and that will save your settings and wallpaper/photos. Transfer your apps to your computer just in case, always good to do that regularly anyways. Worse comes to worse you would just have to rearrange your icons. But i jail broke my iPad and iPhone, and everything stayed the same with the addition of loader and Cydia
    iMore Intermediate

Oh and i forgot. Totally do it. It is soo worth it. =}
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trtmazda3 View Post

I have an iPhone 4 with AT&T and iOS 4.2.1 and a Windows 7 laptop. I have greenpois0n downloaded and ready to go, but I have a hesitation.

My phone has been with me since it was unboxed in an AT&T store on September 24th, 2010. In that time, I have each menu tab, icon arrangement, app notification, wallpaper, tone, etc. set just the way I want it (as much as iOS will allow me to, anyway). I don't want all of these settings gone. Will a jailbreak, which will allow me that last little bit of control I want, erase all of that? I don't want to start over with an empty phone.
    No nothing should be changed after the JB. Like mentioned above do a backup prior/sync as well just in case but you should be fine!

 iPhone 5S - 64GB Space Grey
     iPad Mini - 32GB Black
     Apple TV 2nd Gen
     MacBook Pro - 250GB Aluminum Unibody
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BrianT View Post
    No nothing should be changed after the JB. Like mentioned above do a backup prior/sync as well just in case but you should be fine!
    Does backing it up allow you to restore to a back up or anytime you restore does it go back to factory? If you can restore to a back up, how do you do that?

Global Posts
    11,134 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by rocky271 View Post
    Does backing it up allow you to restore to a back up or anytime you restore does it go back to factory? If you can restore to a back up, how do you do that?
    The iTunes restore will reset to factory first, then - restore your custom settings & apps, media, etc. - so it should be back to where you were just before jailbreaking.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    rocky271 (02-13-2011)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,818 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

You need to do it already, like everyone already told you do a backup, sync, and transfer purchases before the JB. You can find all of these options by right clicking on the phone in the left column of iTunes. When you do a restore through iTunes or using a pwnage tool ipsw it will prompt you if you want to restore from a backup. If you use Greenpois0n the phone should be the same after the JB process. If there was a problem you could right click again in iTunes to restore from your backup.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    218 Global Posts

Take the plunge my man. Everything went smoothly and I have some fantastic new applications and usability. The only thing that has happened was when I opened skype it said it was only supported for non modified iOS.... It still seems to be working just fine though.... You won't regret it, do it now!
    iMore Intermediate

I have the same setup and after jail break nothing change.

FYI
    You will change everything after jail break anyway because you can tweak your phone so much more.
    Steve Jobs created iCloud so he would have somewhere to go when he died and still be with Apple.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Once jailbroken...OP will wish he never made this thread... lol.
    Jump in, the water is warm and you can see the bottom!
    iPhone 4s 32gb 5.1.1
    iphone 4 16gb 4.2.1 JB via GP
    iPad 64gb 3g 5.0.1 JB via redsn0w
    ºoOOoººoOOoººoOOoººoOOoººoOOoººoOOoººoOOoººoOOoº

flick
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by w00dy View Post
    (snip)
    Jump in, the water is warm and you can see the bottom!
    LOL, totally agree -- and the customization is so much more powerful with a JB in place... DO IT!
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    iOS Version

My first jailbreak erased everything off the phone, contacts, texts, apps you name it. Took me hours to get everything back. I was hesitant of jailbreaking today with greenpoison un teathered, but went for it....nothing was lost from my phone this time
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

I jail broke mine last night. Took me 6 minutes, and everything was EXACTLY how I started. Until I started playing. Heh.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by trtmazda3 View Post

I finally JB my iphone 4 (purchased back in July 2010) last night using GP and Windows 7 laptop: I lost no settings or configuration that i had prior to the JB. Seeing that Apple logo change to the greenpoison apple was a little creepy, but it just confirmed all went well. Just follow the counters in GP and all goes well.

Come on in, the water's fine..
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by swampbaby985 View Post
    My first jailbreak erased everything off the phone, contacts, texts, apps you name it. Took me hours to get everything back. I was hesitant of jailbreaking today with greenpoison un teathered, but went for it....nothing was lost from my phone this time
    Did you backup prior to your 1st jb where you lost everything...? You could of just restored from that backup if so.
    iPhone 4s 32gb 5.1.1
    iphone 4 16gb 4.2.1 JB via GP
    iPad 64gb 3g 5.0.1 JB via redsn0w
    ºoOOoººoOOoººoOOoººoOOoººoOOoººoOOoººoOOoººoOOoº

flick