How To: Change Your E-Mail, SMS, Alert Nofifications. VZW iPhone 4

D2TSHR1439

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
How To: Change Your E-Mail, SMS, Alert Nofifications. VZW iPhone 4 (any iPhone/iPod)

This is my first post, but I am a long time member on CB (the sister site).

I had iPhones (3G and 3GS) with AT&T. A Few years ago I went to Verizon. Then I got my VZW iPhone 4 on the 7th. So Ill play a while, haha.

Anyways, I figured I would do a write up of how to change email notifications and such. If its already posted, I apologize. Just spent some time on it so I wanted to help, anyways, here it is.

Here is a Video Link

Here are the written steps.

Ill do a little write up just for those who are interested or having the same issuesThese steps should work with any .caf file (i.e. Alarm, SMS, Email, etc. You must just know the name of the file.)

First Off, I am not responsible for you messing up your phone, deleting files, etc. Proceed at your own risk!

These directions are for changing your E-Mail notification. If you are changing something else (i.e. Alarm, SMS, etc, the file names may/will be different). There directions are for Windows, but would be comparable on a Mac.

Requirements - You Must be Jailborken. You Must have OpenSSH installed through Cydia on your iPhone. You must have WinSCP (or comparable) Installed on your Computer. You SHOULD have a clear understanding of what SSH is and how it operates.

Needed Files:

WinSCP File

GreenPois0n File for Jailbreak

To install OpenSSH on your iPhone, go to Cydia > Search > OpenSSH > Install.

STEPS

1. Download File you are interested in to your computer. (Should Be Short/Small File) Mine is 6 Seconds.

2. Play File in iTunes.

3. After it has finished playing, go to Edit > Preferences

4. In Preferences, look for the Import Settings about half way down next to the CD play info.

5. Click Import Settings, then use the Drop Down bar where is says "Import using ACC" and change it to "Import Using AIFF" .

6. Ok/Accept back out to the iTunes Primary Folder.

7. Find the file you want, and highlight it.

8. Once clip is selected, click Advanced (in top bar) > Create AIFF Version. It will produce another file in the folder, an AIFF file.

9. Copy the AIFF File and paste it in the folder you like (or desktop).

10. Right click and change your file extension from .aif to .caf .

11. Now, use WinSCP (or like program) and SSH your iPhone.

11A. To find out your Host Name for WinSCP, on your iPhone go to Settings > Wifi > Network Name (Click the Blue Arrow). Your Host Name will be your IP. The User Name is root and the Password is alpine . Click Login.

12. On your phone side (right), you should automatically be brought into /private/var/root . You want to back out to < /root .

13. Then, follow this file sequence. /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/ and you should see a long list of .caf and other files.

14. (Optional, but I recommend it). Find the new-mail.caf (or whatever file you are changing, and copy it. Then minimize the program and past it somewhere you know where it will be just in case as a back up. I guess you could probably rename the one on the phone side to a .bak file or something before you transfer and keep it on the phone. But I do not know as I have not tried it that way.

15. Now, on the left side (computer), navigate your way to where you made your earlier .caf file. Right click the file and name it to "new-mail.caf" or whatever file you are replacing.

16. Now, Drag the file from the left side (computer) to the right side (phone). Click Ok and wait for transfer.

17. After transfer is complete, Exit the program on the computer.

18. Go into Winterboard and Re-Spring your phone (or Power Off then Power On).

Your new notification should now be working. Email yourself to test. Any info, just shoot me a PM and Ill try to help.

Thanks Nick (D2)

Last edited:

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Excellent! This may be just what i'm looking for. If these instructions will also work on a Mac for an AT&T iPhone4, then it's a done deal:)

Last edited:

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. The "pinging" is starting to get to me. I have three e-mail accounts in the iPhone4, and i get a ton of e-mails.

personally, i don't mind the stock tone for emails, considering you can only manipulate ONE tone for all accounts. in the past when i have tweaked this one it has always been something low/discreet/innocent due to me currently having 6 email accounts

now, SMS and some other notifications it's a different story.. it seems like i am always changing those. i like grabbing tones from zedge.net

also, with this process you can remove sounds like SMS sent (SentMessage.caf) pretty annoying

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I just changed my email sound with ToneFXs - downloaded their app to my mac to create; used the app on the phone to retrieve - was a breeze! I'll now have the Garmin GPS voice 'Aussie Karen' saying "Hey Keith, you've got mail" on my phone just like on my computer :)

And using instructions similar to the above, I have all the custom ring tones I had on my BB Tour now on my iPhone and assigned to people in the address book...

All that's left for me to do is figure out the "manner modes" I was using on my tout to get something similar for my iPhone.

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
You try it yet on the Mac?

Not yet. Got a ton of stuff to do today, but tomorrow looks good. Will definitely let you know how it turns out. Saw the video clip, and it looks pretty easy. Will also try to change the sound when unlocking the phone. Should be somewhere on that winterboard, i guess. I hope that the Force is with me!:)

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Not yet. Got a ton of stuff to do today, but tomorrow looks good. Will definitely let you know how it turns out. Saw the video clip, and it looks pretty easy. Will also try to change the sound when unlocking the phone. Should be somewhere on that winterboard, i guess. I hope that the Force is with me!:)

Wife saw my post about my idiot in-laws and their offspring. Was not happy, and hid my Paypal card. I hope this jailbreaking is all free, otherwise i'm stuck for a while:eek:

D2TSHR1439

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
As long as your WiFi is on, it should be there. You can try a respring or reboot after you install ssh then try it again. There should be a IP there anytime you tab over on WiFi. I dont think AirPlane mode should matter. Should be able to do it with AP is off though.

Reactions: anon(631531)

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
As long as your WiFi is on, it should be there. You can try a respring or reboot after you install ssh then try it again. There should be a IP there anytime you tab over on WiFi. I dont think AirPlane mode should matter. Should be able to do it with AP is off though.

winscp for Mac is asking me to register(name,address,company name)before i can download it. what up with that?

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I dont know about that. I didnt have to do that on a PC. Just straight download for me.

Downloaded Greenpoison but couldn't figure out the rest. Very confusing about trying to change the music files using a Mac. Didn't know if i had to open an account with Cydia. Needed to get Winscp on Mac but couldn't do it. Anyway, i did a full restore, but kept Greenpoison on the Mac for a retry in the future. I need step by step instructions to do this thing. I can't find a Jailbreak video that does what i want, and uses a Mac. Thanks for your help.:confused:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73