Custom SMS tones on iOS 4

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
So the last time I JB my own phone was way back on 3.1.2, since iOS 4 I haven't JBen them until today. Now the only two things I need JB for is themes and custom SMS tones. It used to be that you would navigate through your phone using iPhone Explorer to UI Sounds and replace the .caf files. When I connected to the phone via iPhone Explorer today the file system looked very different. So is there a new method now? or is everyone just using an app to do it? I have my files already converted which is why I would rather do it manually.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
There's a great thread (sticky maybe?) that tells how to do it. I just use BiteSMS to set my sms ringtones, main and contact.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Really? I thought I searched, ok gotta search for the sucker again and see. I don't want to do it via an app I like to have manual control over the process LOL

PS
OK if you mean the thread in this section right at the top that is the old way. Now if you connect to the iPhone there is no system which is why I couldn't do it. I'm just wondering if there is a new way to do it now or perhaps iPhone Explorer no long works with the files system or doesn't show it all I don't know. I guess I'll keep searching.

Last edited:

anon(4712728)

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I use cyberduck for mac to transfer the custom sms tones, and Ifile from Cydia to rename them. I have an iPhone 4, 4.2.1 32Gb, and haven't had any problems using an old instruction method made for 3.X firmware. I have been having issue renaming though. The names are still found in the same place, but wont change when renamed.

SMS sounds are located here:

System/
Library/
Audio/
UISounds/
sms-received(1-6).caf

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys that is the thread I knew you meant Alli. I'll just use BiteSMS because I don't like having OpenSSH on my phone which is why I used iPhone Explorer in the previous firmwares.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner