Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

Default Going from tethered JB to untethered JB.

My ip4 is on 4.2.1 and JB with redsn0w, do I need to restore and re JB to get the new greenpoisi0n? Also anyone having issues on the new untethered JB? Thanks for looking!
    iPhone Beginner

I was wondering the same thing. Somebody will chime in shortly.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    2,141 Global Posts
    iOS Version

It's best to start with a fresh vanilla install of 4.2.1. just to make sure everything goes smoothly
    iMore Expert

I've heard numerous people say they went straight from tethered to untethered and all worked fine. If Cydia disappears run Redsn0w and click to install Cydia and all should be fine.

 iPhone 5S - 64GB Space Grey
     iPad Mini - 32GB Black
     Apple TV 2nd Gen
     MacBook Pro - 250GB Aluminum Unibody
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Beginner

So Brian T ur saying do the untethered JB with greenpois0n then reboot with redsn0w?
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Question, I'm new to JB and I've bought a few JB apps, when I do a restore and re-JB will all of my purchased apps still be there or will I have to re purchase them?
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    940 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by swampbaby985 View Post
    Question, I'm new to JB and I've bought a few JB apps, when I do a restore and re-JB will all of my purchased apps still be there or will I have to re purchase them?
    Once you purchase the JB apps, they are linked to your account, so you will be able to just redownload them again without paying.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Thanks. I'll do the un tethered JB Tuesday when off of work, that ought to also give the servers time to return to normal.
    iPhone Newbie

I was able to run this new greenpois0n jb onto my tethered redsn0w jailbroken phone, with no problems. Iphone 4, 4.2.1. No issues whatsoever - it just ran, did it's install thing, which took a while, but then cydia was right where it had been before. The only difference I can see is that I can restart the phone untethered, of course, and the new animated boot up logo.
    iMore Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mdpatsfan View Post
    So Brian T ur saying do the untethered JB with greenpois0n then reboot with redsn0w?
    No you can reboot like normal since it's untethered. If Cydia fails to load you can use Redsn0w to install Cydia.

 iPhone 5S - 64GB Space Grey
     iPad Mini - 32GB Black
     Apple TV 2nd Gen
     MacBook Pro - 250GB Aluminum Unibody
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    iPhone Beginner

Thank you all for ur help!!! I used a mirror to download GP. What the hell is a mirror? I did it with out knowing bc I feel safe if i see it on tipb. I still like to know what it is.
    iPhone Nanite

Hmmm. Wonder if anyone can shed any light on my experience? I recently installed redsn0w 0.9.6b4 tethered on my 4.2.1 iPhone 4. All worked fine and tethered wasn't too much of a hassle.

I've tried to install GreenPois0n over redsn0w and seem to be hitting a wall. I go through the JB process and everything seems to work OK, I get to the animated skull and the phone reboots. However, on reboot I get the Connect To iTunes message. I can still boot tethered using redsn0w but when I respring I see the skull logo.

Any suggestions? Would it be best for me to start afresh, restore to 4.2.1 and then try to JB using GP?

Thanks for your help.
  13. Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  
    iPhone Beginner

I'm on redsn0n 0.9.6b6, used the "mirror" for GP i found on tipb. Ally posted it on the site. It took like 2 minutes to run GP over top of redsn0w and have had 0 issues. Iv rebooted 3 times and no iTunes message. Not sure if the updated redsn0w 0.9.6b6 makes a difference. I believe u can just update ur red snow and try GB again. Hope this helps, let me know.

Btw I'm sure the very best way is to restore and re JB but what a huge pain in the ***. If u they this first u have nothing to loose, u might have to restore anyway.
    iPhone Nanite

I ended up just doing a clean restore in the end and installed GP, all worked fine.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    iPhone Beginner

Sorry I didn't have a clear cut answer for u. At least u got it working now!
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    5, 5.0.1

No. You don't need to restore. I just tried this with my iPod which was tethered. It worked smoothly.
    iPod Touch 2G - 4.2.1 - greenpois0n'd - untethered

iPod Touch 4G - 5 - redsn0w'd - tethered

iPad 1G - 5.0.1 - sn0wbreez'd - tethered

Game Center: Alavelorn
    Want to iMessage me? Send me a PM.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

I didn't restore. Just did the GP over the RS and worked perfect.
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by Audicy View Post
    I didn't restore. Just did the GP over the RS and worked perfect.

Same here, worked perfectly.
    iMore Intermediate

Well everytime i try and run gp over rs it says JB failed. it's just a loads of crap imo.
    "A Girl Should Be 2 Things, Classy and Fabulous". - Coco Chanel.

This girl would be lost without her iPhone.

White iPhone 5 Stock. Black iPhone 4 Stock...love it!